The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by idtogo View Post
    I don't use eay, but this sounds like a non sustainable business model...
    The problem is, the Chinese sellers (you'll spot them easy--item location, 10 cent start price, $300 shipping...) are so numerous, eBay can get away with it. Also, for a professional/"Power" seller, someone doing hundreds of listings, the numbers even out. Ebay isn't really friendly to small/one-off sellers any more either.

I still use them for items I can't put on etsy (which in fairness needs a credit card and bank account, too) because they get way more traffic than I could hope for on a private site and they're good for things like specialty collectibles. I won't sell specialty sports items (ballroom gowns--one of those is why I no longer accept returns) or high-dollar start values there any more.

So what percentage do you pay for using Ebay/Paypal now? Is it close to the 20% or so you'd pay to a tack store?

If so, Bite Me, Ebay.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

The only problem with FB groups is a lot of people want to send a check (hahah, not happening), want to lowball you, and you have to weed through the millions of posts of people asking for tons of stuff or even a horse for free/next to nothing because of xyz sob story.

I've bought a couple things that were a steal (I paid asking price and shipping), but the one time I tried to sell some chaps, I got lowballs and then the buyer magically had some vet emergency and couldn't get them until she got paid again...and disappeared. Meh.

But yeah, eBay has gotten weird and I avoid avoid avoid. When I was looking for saddles, I used allofcraigs.com.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    So what percentage do you pay for using Ebay/Paypal now? Is it close to the 20% or so you'd pay to a tack store?

If so, Bite Me, Ebay.
    I was wondering the same thing.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Not to hijack this thread, but I noticed that there are people randomly "disliking" certain posts here. It's kind of petty considering many of the ones that get the thumbs down are neutral statements as the one that Tarheel made. I hope the mods gets rid of the thumbs down thing on this site.

3 members found this post helpful.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, sans-serif] Pardon the cross posting but please take a look at [/FONT]parts I, II, and III, and IV, and V of the Ebay Saddle Sale Chronicles...

DO NOT SELL ON EBAY. There is a detailed thread on the Dressage forum and a similar thread on the Eventing forum...
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog

Blast from the past
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

There's another thread in the dRessage forum regarding eBay forcing someone to take back a saddle but it was returned damaged. There are lots of us that have been absolutely SCREWED by eBay's new policies that protect the Buyer only.

I'd pay the tack shop commissions at this point and not think twice about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    There's another thread in the dRessage forum regarding eBay forcing someone to take back a saddle but it was returned damaged. There are lots of us that have been absolutely SCREWED by eBay's new policies that protect the Buyer only.

I'd pay the tack shop commissions at this point and not think twice about it.
    That's the person who bumped this thread. She linked to her blog 3 posts up.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I've had really good luck with selling my used horse stuff through Facebook groups. That seems to be the new route to go.

I know there are a lot of them out there and they are free!!!
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Ebay I believe has an 18% commission on saddles. Rachel at iselltack.com does a 20% commission so it is not much more. I have heard good things about highendusedsaddles and fineusedsaddles as well but I personally do not know their commission rates.
    "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
    - quoted by Martha Drum

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    That's the person who bumped this thread. She linked to her blog 3 posts up.
    Oops...that's what I get for not reading through page 2 before posting....it was a premature posting fueled by a deep seated hatred of eBay

ETA - and I just noticed it was a blast from the past thread...once again, blinded by hate of eBay LOL didn't even read the details on the thread haha

This thread is worrisome...I have an Antares saddle on ebay right now ! I haven't had seller problems with them before, though.
    I have heard good things about iselltack.com and highendusedsaddles.com, however ebay only takes a 10% commission (plus the paypal fee of course which is an additional $75-$100 for a $2500-$3000 sale), whereas those other websites take a 20%-25% commission. I will probably end up sending my saddle to one of the consignment websites though if it doesn't sell on ebay because I think they would price it higher on their websites which would lessen the blow of the higher commission.
    I did see someone earlier on the thread mentioned posting in facebook groups - anyone with experience or suggestions for doing that? I guess that might be the best option - no fees at all!

I have a saddle I'm considering selling and the ebay commission was $250. Ebay is generally my last resort for selling especially larger items when you have to add paypal fees also.

I'm supprised that no one has mentioned CL to sell saddles. Yes, most are low end western saddles listed but, I am begining to see some nice, high end english ones show up too. And many of the CL sellers mention that they accept PayPal and ship at buyers cost.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    The only problem with FB groups is a lot of people want to send a check (hahah, not happening), want to lowball you, and you have to weed through the millions of posts of people asking for tons of stuff or even a horse for free/next to nothing because of xyz sob story.

I've bought a couple things that were a steal (I paid asking price and shipping), but the one time I tried to sell some chaps, I got lowballs and then the buyer magically had some vet emergency and couldn't get them until she got paid again...and disappeared. Meh.

But yeah, eBay has gotten weird and I avoid avoid avoid. When I was looking for saddles, I used allofcraigs.com.
    Exactly my experience. Brand new bridle that retails for $800, and while I'm asking for a little more than half, I'm getting offers for less than 10% of the original price!
    Or what's better is adds like this: XYZ only used for 2 YEARS! New $200, asking $180 plus shipping!

I have the dumbest question ever, but if you sell off FB or something, are you using paypal? Taking checks and cashing them before sending the saddle? Or what is the norm?
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I've used paypal previously when selling on facebook. That way you and the buyer have some protection if anything goes wrong with the sale. So far, no problems at all and easy transactions! Of course, you do have the paypal fees to deal with - but I think it's worth it.

I bought a Circuit Bridle off the tack trader one and it was listed as new, photos looked like it may have been a little used but I wasn't too concerned. It got here and it wasn't new. It wasn't slightly used. It was pretty used! I questioned it and the girl apologized and said the ad should have said "nearly new" which it totally wasn't and did offer to take it back. I hadn't tried it on the horse yet so I said it was ok. It ended up not fitting the horse well either so I ended up reselling it for about what I paid for it. Luckily I didn't lose too much money. I relisted it on the tack trader site also and said that I had just bought it and just wanted to get my money back. People were still trying to low ball me. People also think that they should get stuff for cheap and either not have to pay shipping or pay very little. When you have larger/heavier things and things that won't fit into flat rate boxes people don't want to pay the price for shipping.