The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So long eBay my friend!

So, I just tried to list my friend's Antares on eBay. I uploaded umpteen-million pics, drafted the body of the listing and was pretty much done when I get a pop up telling me that I can't complete the listing until I submit a return reimbursement method.

What is that, you ask? Well, eBay wants me to give them my credit card number and carte blanche to refund the purchase price of the saddle, by charging said credit card, in the event of a dispute.

Um.... I don't think so! First of all, I don't accept returns on my listings. Second, I most certainly do not misrepresent items that I sell, so if someone files a dispute against me it is going to be a scam. So, why in the world would I give them the ability to refund 3k on my credit card for a saddle that I would probably never get back?? My eBay selling days are over!

9 members found this post helpful.

I think you made a good decision. Ebay not only can refund the seller the price of the non-returnable saddle, it absolutely will. Not worth it for such a valuable item.
    <><

4 members found this post helpful.

The whole ebay thing is just terrible. Do they offer any protection to the *seller* to insure they get their merchandise back??

eBay has been terrible for sellers for a long time now. It started with the changes to feedback several years ago and has progressed to this 'buyer is always right' refund policy. I will still purchase things through it but I would never sell something anymore.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    eBay has been terrible for sellers for a long time now. It started with the changes to feedback several years ago and has progressed to this 'buyer is always right' refund policy. I will still purchase things through it but I would never sell something anymore.
    I don't use eay, but this sounds like a non sustainable business model...

Three words. DON'T DO IT! I sold a county innovation back in Oct. and the buyer said the saddle was defective. Ebay sided with the buyer. I almost got screwed over. I was thankfully able to appeal the case but will never sell expensive items on ebay again. Check out the forum I posted in Oct. if you are interested.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...t-defects-quot

1 members found this post helpful.

So where does one go to sell saddles now?

I've been on eBay for years - but have not tried to sell a saddle yet. Only riding stuff I've sold is some bridle parts and show jackets, etc.

We've got some saddles we want to sell though - hmmm.

I've heard great things about highendusedsaddles working with their sellers, but I'm sure they take a commission.

I've never been asked for that that I can remember! I've had my ebay account for quite a while though so what it wanted when I signed up who knows though I'm not sure I would have given it if they did ask. I have an Antares listed on ebay right now also. I have someone that is wanting to try it that found it through bayequest.com Its a local place but anyone can list, especially for things like tack. It's free, no charges unless you want to put up photos. Otherwise I haven't really had any problems with sellling things on ebay. I've sold a couple saddles with no problems. I think dialogue is important if you have someone asking questions. I like to give probably too much info. That way if they try to come back with something after they purchase you can say that they were told about this or that or whatever. Especially if what they are complaining about is something they asked about or you gave info for. But with the way ebay is going they aren't doing anything to protect the seller. And now they are charging a final shipping fee which I don't remember them charging before either. I'm hoping my saddle sells through this private transaction since its not through ebay or pay pal and won't cost me any extra fees.

Highendusedsaddles.com has sold 3 of my saddles. I highly recommend working with her. She is very quick and easy to work with and she will try to get you the best and most fair price. The Antares I sent her was already ordered on trial before she even got it as it was listed as coming soon and she emails anyone that is looking for that particular size, model, etc that something is coming or has arrived so everyone knows.

I don't know where you are, but I sold a saddle thru Pelham Saddlery in NH and they are very good.
    They seem to have a very nice system to display used saddles.

I believe they do mail order too.

I used to use ebay a lot also until they changed the feedback policy and that you can ONLY accept paypal now...I used to do money orders and never had a problem. Who are they to tell me how I should get paid? They want all the fees they can. so with paypal there are more fees. Where can I sell inexpensive items and get the word out. like hunt caps, paddock boots, saddle pads etc.... I do not want to pay a 40% commission. then it is not worth it
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

There are great groups on facebook to sell stuff through. Then you don't have to worry about the fees. I sold a half pad within a couple hours that way. I have a couple saddles and leathers on there also with little interest but its just a matter of updating them every few weeks and maybe new people will see them.

Star's Ascent, how do i find these FaceBook groups?

just to bump my post...what's to prevent someone from buying a saddle on ebay, saying it's defective and gettng their money back without returning the saddle to the seller?

Is the seller protected in any way, as in charge the buyer if the item is not returned?

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    just to bump my post...what's to prevent someone from buying a saddle on ebay, saying it's defective and gettng their money back without returning the saddle to the seller?

Is the seller protected in any way, as in charge the buyer if the item is not returned?
    In theory, you are not required to issue a refund until they have sent the item back to you. I *have* heard ancedotal stories about people getting empty boxes back, but I don't know anyone that has *actually* had that happened to them.

I know several people here have had issues selling saddles on eBay, but knock on wood I have had very few issues for the quantity that I sell on eBay. The poster who said that extensive and excessive information is usually the key is right.

I always have a PayPal account listed for payment, but I do also list other payment methods. The thing is - at least with PayPal you can be sure once they tell you the payment is cleared, it is. No chance that you've received a bad money order or certified check that you don't find out about until weeks later and the item is already gone.

One last thing -I always communicate through eBay messages, even if I have the buyer's email. That was eBay can see all the communications in the case of a dispute.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post

I'm really not sure and I'm not willing to test it out. I have bought and sold many saddles through eBay over the years and have 100% positive feedback over 55 transactions. I have never had a problem, but I'm not going to gamble with a big item like this that doesn't even belong to me. I'm going to tell my friend to consign the saddle. It's really not that much more expensive and less of a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Star's Ascent, how do i find these FaceBook groups?
    You should be able to search them. The ones that I use are horsey stuff....lets sell (mostly Northern Ca people) , California Horses Tack & horse trailers, Hunter/Jumper Used Tack For Sale, Horsey Friends (northern Ca mostly), English Tack Trader and if you have small stuff -Just Ponies

Quote Originally Posted by onthehill View Post
    So where does one go to sell saddles now?

I've been on eBay for years - but have not tried to sell a saddle yet. Only riding stuff I've sold is some bridle parts and show jackets, etc.

We've got some saddles we want to sell though - hmmm.
    I don't know about where you live, but here in middle NC there is a FB page for "Sandhill Equestrians". It has turned into a great site for everything to selling saddles, horses, etc. to finding someone to go on a trail ride with.

If you are anywhere close, become a member. If not, think about starting a similar group in your area.

Sandhills Equestrians grew quickly by having every member invite new people. It now has over 1400 members and is very active.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

I believe I sell tack, on facebook also has good success with selling saddles, but again, I'm not sure about a commission.