The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

I've never met the dog deterred by hot wire. They zip under the fence before it cycles and pops them- or they get popped and just learn to zip under it faster or lower.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Vicious. Viscous dogs are a whole nuther kettle of....goo.

Yes, if he were a viscous dog- he would probably be goo-d
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

7 members found this post helpful.

I agree; unacceptable behavior by the neighbors.

I second everyone's opinions on a super soaker. And suggest the place/people you ask about these types of maneuvers are the trail/endurance riders. Boy, do they know how to handle loose/aggressive dogs! Those I used to ride with who had good aim carried water balloons. I like the stinky musk idea, too. But even if you make contact, the "explosion" usually scares them enough to back away.

Quote Originally Posted by Shermy View Post
    If you are trail riding, you should have your horse used to many different things. A couple of small barking dogs should not really bother your horse.

You can not "protect" your horse from everything. It is your job to expose your horse to as many things as you can.
    Doesn't mean you have to put up with it on a regular basis. If you're riding on their property (e.g. a farmer lets you cross his fields), then maybe it's more acceptable, but dogs on HER property? Not cool.

I still remember a neighbor with a particularly aggressive pit-bull mix who would come barreling out after us while we'd be trotting down the gravel road. That dog caught tails a few times, causing even the experienced 3,000+-competition-mile endurance horse to wig out.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    Tell them to go home, eh? They have been told many times, including with the loving encouragement of a blast of bird shot. They demonstrate zero ability to learn.

That's why I want the owners to be ticketed and fined. Hopefully they will be directed to keep the dogs fenced in on their own property, and then they will have the joy and pleasure of listening to the continuous barking. All. Night. Long.

Frankly, I am surprised they have survived this long. Most loose dogs do not fare well around here.

I am surprised some here would not consider two dogs running at their horse's hind legs aggressive -- you did watch the entire video? At any rate, the animal control officers are very good, and they are also horse people, so I think they will understand.

ETA: Yes, I know the owners. Yes, I have called them many times. No, I have not been able to catch the little shits.

Well, clearly this horse needs a little retraining. Any ill-intentioned dog gets only one chance to rush at my horse's hind legs. After that, they won't be rushing at anything. Ever again.
    Well mannered, canine ladies and gentleman? He calls many a friend and the barn dog can sleep under him. Maybe yours can take some pointers from him?
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

1 members found this post helpful.

My horse does not do dogs at all. She killed one of mine so anyone
    running around her "playing" is not going to fair well. If neighbors can't control their dogs, crap happens.
    I also like the paint ball idea - use a bright red color - they might get the drift - but then again...........maybe not.
    Some horses are not bothered by this - but some are - if you have an animal dog, cat, horse, or gerbil - you still have to be responsible for it.

The bottom line is whether or not they're scarily aggressive, its still dangerous! If the local laws say they should be confined, then they shouldn't be loose. And OP is right to be PO'd and annoyed about having 2 loose dogs come running and baying while she's out for a hack.

One of our TB's absolutely HATES dogs, and I would hate to be on his back if one came running at him while we out hacking. He'd either rear and try to kill it, or take of like a BOOH.

And I don't want to hear the crap about 'you should be able to control your horse at all times, or you should be out in public.' Sick of hearing that from the high and mighty. They are still 1,000 animals with a flight instinct, and you just never know what an individual horse's tipping point will be when instinct overrides training. At some point, you still have to take them out when they're still a little green, and you just never know what will happen.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    Yes, if he were a viscous dog- he would probably be goo-d
    One of mine is quite viscous; I hate having him in the kitchen because it's dangerous with the tile floors.

Ace Hardware and Harbor Freight both carry fairly cheap animal traps. Perhaps something stinky would lure them in so you could turn them over to animal control the next time they are on your property.

http://www.harborfreight.com/37-inch...rap-90218.html

http://www.acehardware.com/family/in...goryId=1260255
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Quote Originally Posted by EponaRoan View Post

Ace Hardware and Harbor Freight both carry fairly cheap animal traps. Perhaps something stinky would lure them in so you could turn them over to animal control the next time they are on your property.

http://www.harborfreight.com/37-inch...rap-90218.html

http://www.acehardware.com/family/in...goryId=1260255
    I actually own one of those for catching feral cats when they move into the barn. My one remaining barn cat was a victim of that device (it was the last time he saw his balls).

Mine is the larger trap but still kind of small for a beagle. I do like the idea but I'm afraid I would catch something nasty, like a skunk or porcupine. I once caught a raccoon and he was royally PISSED off.

Yes, they can chase and harass the young 1's, to the point of exhaustion. Also, though show standards have (I believe 12& 14in as aceptable ht.) you can have those that are outside that range that still are good hunters. As for taking down a deer, have you ever had to make an emergency call on just a little fuss among horses, only to find that your horse is now bleeding profusely because someone knicked a lower limb artery just right? Those teeth are sharp!! And if 2 or more,they can play tag team and just keep them movin' till blood loss weakin' them.

LOL They're beagles, come on.
    Your horse does not look like he cared one bit.
    I do not see what the big deal is. Who's land are you on?
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Perhaps the other 4 pages address that, Sannois.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

7 members found this post helpful.

Like all the paintball/super soaker ideas. Years ago I had a trainer at home who used to take her youngsters for rides along the roads past other farms. Her and her SO's solution to dogs that would chase/were aggressive was a lariat. They'd rope them and drag them along for a bit. I don't think they ever had to do it more than twice before the dog would leave when it saw the rope. I would worry about the possibility of a sneaky bite after the dog was let loose but I don't think they ever had that problem either!

2 members found this post helpful.

Not vicious, just incredibly annoying and potentially dangerous if your horse doesn't handle it well. I run across this situation all the time. I usually run my horse towards them and chase them off. The game isn't nearly so fun when the tables turn.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C09YC5wO73I

Grrrrrr....I am sick and tired of these nasty little SOBs. I am done being patient. Beginning with this incident, and from now on, I will record and report each and every violation of dogs running at large.

While waiting for law enforcement to respond, I am amusing myself by speculating on the number of petty offenses in addition to "running at large" that might apply.

Per the law:

Subsection (1) (d) Approached in a Vicious or Terrorizing Manner

The owner’s dog, whether on or off the owner’s premises, approaches any person in an apparent attitude of attack and/or in a vicious or terrorizing manner.

Okay, back out to fetch the horses from the field -- with camera in hand.
    very annoying..... if you were riding my muley, both dogs would have been dead......

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Vicious, no. Aggressive, maybe. Annoying, yes.
    If they're on your property doing it, you're within rights to complain.

And I also think they'll leave if chased by the horse.
    Agree. They're announcing, not attacking. And they are annoying as hell, but not vicious.

Also, agree you have a right to complain (which you've done) AND that if you chase them, they will run. My horses grew up with our border collie, who never hurt them but certainly annoyed the bejeezus out of them if we didn't watch him carefully. Under saddle or free in the pasture, they seem to take great pleasure in chasing dogs.

And the dogs leave. Quickly.

Default Get a whip. As in a hunt whip. For hounds

Practice using it. A couple of well placed snaps with a good Rebel yell ought to send the hounds packing. If a huntsman can keep 20 couple in line with one, you out to be able to terrorize two, it's not terribly difficult. Get a longe whip if you can't do that. Apply with enthusiasm.

Or fill a small hand pistol with ratshot and use that.

Or find someone with a dog hating pony mare (almost everyone knows one) and turn her out for a couple of days and wait.

Truly though, they look like the one isn't all that brave, and the other one doesn't look nasty, just a pain in the butt barker. I've never seen a really mean aggressive hound. I don't have sound at work, don't know if you yelled to run it off or not, but get a long enough whip to be safe and stout enough to inflict pain. Might not keep them out of your field, but they'll likely start leaving when they see you.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    Practice using it. A couple of well placed snaps with a good Rebel yell ought to send the hounds packing. If a huntsman can keep 20 couple in line with one, you out to be able to terrorize two, it's not terribly difficult. Get a longe whip if you can't do that. Apply with enthusiasm.

Or fill a small hand pistol with ratshot and use that.

Or find someone with a dog hating pony mare (almost everyone knows one) and turn her out for a couple of days and wait.

Truly though, they look like the one isn't all that brave, and the other one doesn't look nasty, just a pain in the butt barker. I've never seen a really mean aggressive hound. I don't have sound at work, don't know if you yelled to run it off or not, but get a long enough whip to be safe and stout enough to inflict pain. Might not keep them out of your field, but they'll likely start leaving when they see you.
    BUT, WHY SHOULD SHE HAVE TO DO ANY OF THIS ????

Even though Colorado is a "fence out" state, that does not apply to dogs, who are required to be contained on the owner's property.

My situational bottom line is: "He who cares the least usuallty wins", and this is very true for the uncaring wandering dog owner. It MUST cost them money every time their dog is caught off their property. Hopefully over time this is more money and agrivation than the cost of fencing their dogs in.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com