The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

I'm sorry, but my Dad raised "hunting beagles" their cry was" found prey" that sounded the same as these. Sometimes the hounds ended up trackin' deer, a definte No,No. They might be smaller, then some of the dogs that you might see as "oh, whupy puppy," can and do run deer down and kill. As a hunter and a horse owner, I'd see they dogs as a problem- all 3 of mine have been shown to face and go after them with me on their back--but on MY PROPERTY??? I'd take them in to AC/shoot them. JMO

3 members found this post helpful.

watched the video and don't consider dog behavior that I saw it the video as vicious. at all. But it is your property and your right to not have annoying dogs running loose. It sucks that the owners are such crappy owners. best of luck to you. Hopefully you can get AC involved and they will remove the dogs somehow.

Thanks everyone for your input and creative suggestions. I do fancy the whip idea, if only to imagine myself as Crocodile Dundee swashbuckling around my property on horseback with a bull whip.

As I mentioned before, I didn't try to shoo the dogs away because I wanted to record the incident in case I need the evidence. We share a fence line, and we are the closest and most irresistible to the dogs so I think they bother us more than the other neighbors. The dogs tend to patrol that side of the pasture and seem to think it is their territory.

I am pretty sure another neighbor took at shot at one of the dogs last week (heard a shot early in the morning after a long night of barking). That neighbor is one who will shoot a stray dog on his property.

Zoma, are you saying that beagles will take down a deer? Because yesterday the female beagle was dragging what looked to be a fairly fresh deer leg around.

Quote Originally Posted by Capall View Post

Question to those of you thumbing down my post, what bothers you about it? That my one horse kicked a dog that was attacking her, that my other horse hated dogs (it stemmed from her former owner's dogs who 'herded' her all the time) or the fact that she snacked on goldfish? Just morbidly curious as to what was so bad about my posts that people felt the need to hit the "thumbs down" button
    I was wondering the same thing and then it dawned on me: People are obsessed with thumbs.

Personally, I prefer the finger.

12 members found this post helpful.

Years ago I had a dog run up and jump on my mare's shoulder and try to bite me! Practical as ever, I said "Step on him, girl!" and to my complete and utter surprise, SHE DID. That ended that encounter.

THe dogs in the vid do not look aggressive but it doesn't matter. If this was a sometimes they get loose and come over thing I think I would overlook it. A regular thing? Not so much.

Anything you need to do to remove them would be OK with me.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

In my own field BANG, or stomp as Mir has learned to take GREAT offense at being bay'd at like she was prey. They really are just behaving as stupid hounds (I can say it, I have one)

and Yes, a pair of beagles that size could take a deer down.

5 members found this post helpful.

I'm not a bleeding heart- so sue me.
    Last edited by Catersun; Nov. 19, 2012 at 04:48 AM. Reason: it's coth.. I should know better.

6 members found this post helpful.

Ugh, I could have written this post. I also have the clueless neighbor with dogs that run loose on my property and find it great sport to yip and dart while I am riding.

My horse is a field hunter, so I can not allow an aggressive move from him towards those little SOB's. He really doesn't care about about them, but I do. It just drives me crazy to be trotting hills and have dogs chasing me and barking. On my property. And yes I have spoken to neighbor.

I love the idea of the paint balls, filled with musky scent.

2 members found this post helpful.

GotMyPony- I didn't think the Dazer was still available.
    It has to be about 20 years old.
    I borrowed one from my roommate in the 90's and I can vouch for it working like a charm.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

1 members found this post helpful.

I wonder if it is all the same people thumbing down.
    I remember that mare from the epic "Forget the goldfish!!!!" thread.
    "Drop that fish you mare!"
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

I do not see viscous I see annoying and obnoxious. But if your law requires viscous you are out of luck.

Larkspur, I have had recent experience in Douglas Co with my neighbor's dogs. They are Labradoodles, so larger, and chased my show horse full speed through a fence, ripping his shoulders badly, displacing his withers and hip joint when he tangled and fell, and essentially ending his career. I did not see it, but figured out what happened from the torn up ground at the scene, and who had chased him when he returned to the pasture after healing and the dogs immediately came running over to do it all again because it was such fun. The look in my horse's eyes told the tale. Because I did not catch it all on film, it never happened in the eyes of the neighbors ("must have been a wild animal") , and the dogs continue to run around the neighborhood. They are too fast for me to SSS.

If you complain to the Sheriff, nothing will happen, except about a month later, someone will send a letter to both of you asking if you would like to go to 'arbitration'. Right. I believe it takes 3 "documented with film and neighbor's statements" complaints until the loose dog owners are fined, and not sure if that will ever happen as far out as you live.

If you shoot and kill or seriously wound the little SOBs, you will be charged with a felony, untill you can prove (with film and neighbor's testimonials), that the dogs were actually in the act of chasing livestock when they were shot. (Like the neighbors can see clearly across 40 acres.) Just shooting them when they come on your property will definately get you that felony charge. (I had a long conversation with the county on this one).

What I would do:

#1 - Put a time and date stamp on your camera phone screen if you can.

Buy or borrow 4 max tall wire panels (always useful to own a few) and construct a pen way out in the pasture with a trap door cut out. Make a trap with the door panels attached by rope to some hamburger or such, so it shuts firmly and can be locked. When the little SOBs are caught in the pen, provide kibble and water, film them with time and date stamp, and call animal control to hopefully come get them (can you sob about viscious dogs over the phone effectively?) or wait for the neighbors to miss them and have to spend their precious time to come get them. Repeat as neccessary.

When we moved to Douglas County 40 years ago, there used to be notices in the classified section of the local paper (when everyone took the paper) all the time reading "Notice: All dogs found on XXX property will be shot on sight." Times have changed around here.
    Last edited by Plumcreek; Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    .38 special revolver loaded with snake shot would probably give them something to think about. They ignore that, well, I'd step up to FMJ rounds and let the owners know why their dogs didn't come home. I find someone else's dogs on my property coming anywhere near my horses and they'll get a full load of 00 buckshot or worse depending on which gun is closest to me at the time.
    In Douglas County loading their butts with small shot (without the afore mentioned video of dogs in the act of chasing horses) will get you an animal cruelty charge.
    Last edited by Plumcreek; Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I'm shocked at the number of people who think this is acceptable hound behavior. Vicious? No, but a "pack" of two, excited to have found something to be "houndy" about, can be a dangerous situation.

Paintballs can do a lot of damage, especially on an animal that size, and while I like the idea of loading a supersoaker with something unpleasant, you'd have to be a danged good shot on a still day to avoid blowback into your or your horses eyes. Would your horse tolerate an airhorn with ear plugs? A good driving whip could also be your friend here.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyfree View Post
    I'm shocked at the number of people who think this is acceptable hound behavior.
    I am not sure anyone said this was OK. Everyone is just saying it does not reach the extent of viscous and the dogs are acting like dogs do (which I believe everyone agrees they should be doing on their own property). There is nothing viscous about a play bow.

4 members found this post helpful.

Plumcreek, that is horrible what happened to your horse.

I have heard back on my report and a citation will be issued (same officer who helped on a starvation case I reported). Guess I will have a word with the other neighbors and see if they are also having a problem with the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    I wonder if it is all the same people thumbing down.
    I remember that mare from the epic "Forget the goldfish!!!!" thread.
    "Drop that fish you mare!"
    Alas, that was not my mare! I guess mine wasn't the only "fisher" out there!

here, it's only legal to shoot dogs if they are harrassing or attacking livestock- if they are just baying, running around, and trying to get your horse to play with them, as is clearly shown in that video, well, that doesn't qualify.
    I don't think cats qualify as livestock.
    So you can't legally shoot them.
    You could catch them and turn them over to AC- the owners will have to expend time, energy, and possibly money in retrieving them.

However, from everything else you say, the only real long-term solution to the problem is put up better fences around your property- if your neighbors let all of their animals wander, that'll fix that problem. And from the sounds of it, even if you take away these dogs somehow they'll probably just get some more and let them wander around the same way.

So build you some good fences. Or at least run some hotwire along your fences that will keep smaller animals out. This will also keep your animals safe from predators, bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I am not sure anyone said this was OK. Everyone is just saying it does not reach the extent of viscous and the dogs are acting like dogs do (which I believe everyone agrees they should be doing on their own property). There is nothing viscous about a play bow.
    Vicious. Viscous dogs are a whole nuther kettle of....goo.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    So build you some good fences. Or at least run some hotwire along your fences that will keep smaller animals out. This will also keep your animals safe from predators, bonus.
    It is already hot wire, high and low. Does not deter the dogs.

If I had a spare $20,000 - $30,000 to redo the fences and put up additional fences and electric gates I would love to do that.

And you are right that they will probably get more dogs. And guess what? They will probably get more videos and citations if they let them run loose. They have a large shepherd mix that stays locked in a kennel in the middle of their field. I complained about him, and I suspect the other neighbors gave enough warnings that they finally locked him up. It is a miserable existence for a dog, but at least he is no longer a menace.