The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Ugh I can't stand beagles- obnoxious, noisy little buggers. Anyway, if this is on your property, I'd catch them and give them a one way ticket to the animal shelter.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

3 members found this post helpful.

That would annoy the crap out of me. I think they're just sitting there being dogs and any harm they would do is out of cluelessness but I could understand not wanting to ride a colt out there and have to deal with Dumb and Dumber coming over to bay and circle for a while. Things like this make me covet a taser... though, like the stock whip, you better be sure you can run it from your horse! The squirt gun full of nastiness is tempting too...

2 members found this post helpful.

I had one neighbor who couldn't control her dogs when I'd walk down the street on a trail ride. Drove me nuts!!! Every time, the dang dogs would run out aggressively at me. Every time, the owner would uselessly try to grab at her dogs and just sort of yell (in a sweet voice) "No! Don't! Come back here!" until one day one of them nipped my horse in the rear fetlock. Ms mare gave him a firm but not too hard kick. Doggie took off yelping and ran back to his mommy. Dogs never got loose again! There were strict leash laws so this was really annoying and dangerous.

Another mare I had, HATED dogs. Like, go after them with her teeth and try to eat them, hell bent on killing them hated dogs. If I had been in that situation, the dogs would have been flung into the next county! She almost ate a dog that got into her round pen one day. That dog was one lucky sucker that she didn't catch him, and he never came back again. (She also purposefully sucked up goldfish out of the water troughs and ate the but that's another story...)

Question to those of you thumbing down my post, what bothers you about it? That my one horse kicked a dog that was attacking her, that my other horse hated dogs (it stemmed from her former owner's dogs who 'herded' her all the time) or the fact that she snacked on goldfish? Just morbidly curious as to what was so bad about my posts that people felt the need to hit the "thumbs down" button
    Last edited by Capall; Nov. 18, 2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Morbid curiosity

This was not a trail ride. This was on my property (the dogs come through the fence). As I have already stated, my horse is not worried about the dogs, but that is not the issue here.

Yes, I can see that they appear to be playing, but how am I supposed to know that the freaky male dog won't try to bite me or my horse? When he approached me last week, as I was walking on my property, he was not at all friendly. He was growling and snarling and looked a bit feral and deranged. The female is not that way -- she does seem friendly.

We have caught them on two separate occasions trying to attack my cats through my back door. Once was 6 a.m., and I think that was the last time that the neighbors answered any of our phone calls.

I don't know what it is about these people. Just about every animal they have ever had has come over to our place -- dogs, cats, ducks, geese, turkeys, goats and cows. They have let most of their animals roam and be killed by predators.

We have guns, but I would really prefer not to have to kill an innocent animal -- it is not their fault they have crappy owners. I will if I have to, but I will let law enforcement do their job and see where it goes.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Capall View Post
    (She also purposefully sucked up goldfish out of the water troughs and ate the but that's another story...)
    Wow! That's a nasty mare! I think I like her.

My mare did punt another neighbor's dog when he ran out onto the road and up on her butt. His owner was standing right there trying to call him back. I felt kind of bad about it, but secretly proud of my horse.

Many years ago I had a dog that loved to play with the horses in the pasture. He would run around and bark at them until one of them would get pissed off and chase him away. He got kicked in the face numerous times but never got tired of the game. I think he must have had brain damage.

I missed the part about the cats before; if I lost one of my cats to a neighbor dog or even had a neighbor dog on my property after one of my cats said dog would disappear. Good luck going through channels. Now you've drawn attention to yourself and if anything happens to Dumb and Dumber your name is on it. I hope you get some resolution from the fuzz; if you don't, I hope you're able to get some resolution on your own. When I find myself with a situation where I'm not afraid to deal with it myself... I just deal with it myself. Dang dog owners.

4 members found this post helpful.

I would have turned around and chased them too- my guys think that's a blast : )

Compliments on training your horse not to mind dogs like that too : )

I don't think they seem vicious or particularly aggressive, more playful, but absolutely a dangerous situation.

The problem I have with chasing the dogs is that once you turn your back, some dogs come right back and do the sneaky bite.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    When he approached me last week, as I was walking on my property, he was not at all friendly. He was growling and snarling and looked a bit feral and deranged.
    I think after the first dog bite report the dogs will dissappear.
    What are the dogs like with the other neighbors? Can you get them on board? If it's only you your neighbor might think you are a cranky neighbor if two or three neighbors complain the dog owners might get a clue. .
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

1 members found this post helpful.

Unacceptable.
    What if you were walking with a small child, pushing a stroller or whatever? Would most people still consider the dogs' behavior as just "playful?" We really don't know what their next move is going to be.
    Another thing to consider: what if your horse kicks one of them (defending himself from the "playful" behavior) and causes injury to the dog? I bet the neighbors would be wanting compensation for vet bills...
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, if they are harassing you or your other animals in a menacing way and you don't want to break out the guns I suggest a paintball gun. Freezing the paintballs works or you can order the rubber balls. They hurt when they hit. That said, don't forget a paintball gun can jam and may do it just when you need it not to.

My neighbor had two dogs that like to chase and harass. The paintball gun taught them to stay off our yard. They used to sneak out to the corral to harass the horses when they were on dry lot. They would stalk as I walked with stroller too. I carried a lunge whip or golf club on my stroller as well as the paintball gun.

I suggested SSS to my now ex-husband more than once.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    Unacceptable.
    What if you were walking with a small child, pushing a stroller or whatever? Would most people still consider the dogs' behavior as just "playful?" We really don't know what their next move is going to be.
    Actually I'd be more annoyed with a dog charging my horse. I'm not going to fall off a stroller. (For reference, the one time I got bitten by a dog, Mom apologized to the owner and reamed me out for bothering the dog after being told not to. Though that was clearly my fault for pestering the poor thing when it wasn't really interested in 'Pat the doggie.')

I would not be bothered by friendly dogs in the sense of 'break out the shovel', and as far as outdoor or indoor/outdoor cats go I figure something's going to kill them sooner or later, comes with the territory. (We only have ever had one make it past age 6 living in the barn, and no, horse-stomping's never been a cause of death.) Also not bothered by my neighbor's loose animals in my yard--if the fowl want to eat bugs, the can help themselves and it's good for teaching my dogs recall/leave-it and ignoring them. The potbelly pig was annoying, but I could chase him off.

I did take the horse back (he hopped the fence when their hotwire shorted out and was calmly grazing in my yard) but it was mostly disconcerting because my yard isn't fenced, and it's a clear half-mile shot across the fields from it to M-51 with some big truck traffic at high speeds. Fortunately, he's a very calm horse. (Also fortunate for the potbelly, or he'd have been kicked into the next township long ago.)

I was surprised not to hear you sternly telling them to "go home." That often works for strange dogs we encounter while riding. The "chasing them" trick is also good. But we used to have 2 pits (sorry pit fans, these two were scary even to my laid-back, dog-savvy horse!) that caused me to buy a device called "The Dazer." Got it on Amazon, about $20. It's about the size of an old cell phone so can be carried in a pocket, and it emits that high-pitched sound that we can't hear but dogs hate. The pits turned back away from us and ultimately wouldn't even approach us. It never visibly bothered our horses, although I intentionally pointed it away from their ears. Worth a try.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by GotMyPony View Post
    I was surprised not to hear you sternly telling them to "go home." That often works for strange dogs we encounter while riding. The "chasing them" trick is also good. But we used to have 2 pits (sorry pit fans, these two were scary even to my laid-back, dog-savvy horse!) that caused me to buy a device called "The Dazer." Got it on Amazon, about $20. It's about the size of an old cell phone so can be carried in a pocket, and it emits that high-pitched sound that we can't hear but dogs hate. The pits turned back away from us and ultimately wouldn't even approach us. It never visibly bothered our horses, although I intentionally pointed it away from their ears. Worth a try.
    The Dazer. That sounds like a good solution.

Nice horse/dolly for the camera woman.

I don't understand why people own POS dogs like that. Where's the joy?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Is everyone grasping that this is happening IN her pasture, ON her property and that it is not the first time, that she has spoken to the owners, that the dogs are otherwise a noise nuisance too?

I am surprised at the tolerance.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

6 members found this post helpful.

If the dogs aren't attacking but are on my property, I tell them to go home and they do. Generally my bigger worry is MY dog (the corgi), who will try to start problems if she encounters a loose dog.

Tie them up somewhere, or call AC, but I'm not seeing viscous dogs. Only ever run into one of those, and after the third time she charged us and made contact, I haven't seen her, though they have two other dogs in the yard. I suspect that was the last straw and her owners addressed the issue one way or another.

As for the cats, if you don't want them getting eaten by something wild, feral, or stray, run over, or sick with something you can't catch in time, don't let them outside. That's just the breaks with outdoor cats.

I don't think the dogs are any big deal, loud maybe but mostly playful, don't seem threatening at all. If I ran into them on a trail ride I wouldn't think anything about them.

What is unacceptable to me is that they are on your property. You do have the right to complain and insist they not come on your property at any time for any reason. And I think you would be justified for shooting them if they do it again. I don't know what the laws are in your area and would definitely recommend you check first. If it is legal, I would then inform the neighbors that they will be shot the next time they step foot on your property.

Sorry if it sounds harsh( and I do like dogs, really I do; but you should not have to put up with this harassment/nuisance because your asshat neighbors are irresponsible dog owners.)

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Is everyone grasping that this is happening IN her pasture, ON her property and that it is not the first time, that she has spoken to the owners, that the dogs are otherwise a noise nuisance too?
    Yes. What I am not grasping is why these dogs haven't disappeared yet. First thing I do is talk to the owners. So far I haven't had an owner blow me off. But if I ever do, the dog will go away.

OP - I understand you can't catch the little buggers. This is too bad. Kind of cuts off the take-them-to-a-shelter option. I'd hate to shoot them, too. I don't think they're threatening or aggressive, but I do think they're a PITA. I guess I'd start with putting the fear of God in them - run 'em off with something that will scare them, like a stick (smack the crap out of 'em if you can) or a hunt whip. Worked for me with a couple of strays we had once. I chased them a good quarter mile, making lots of noise and threatening gestures. I'd have hit them if I could've.

My point was, when you ride OUTSIDE, stuff can pop up that may scare a horse.

These beagles would not bother my horse or me at all. If they live nearby, I would tell them to go home, maybe chase them, or just ignore them.

If you are just mad cuz they were on YOUR property, fine. IF it was out of fear of them scaring your horse, I stand by my point that your horse should be exposed and fine w/these dogs in your video.

If those beagles are "scary" to your horse, I would seriously work on exposing and getting your horse used to a LOT more stuff!

Deer or turkeys can be a lot more scary than two playful beagles. I still think that exposure is what you should strive for w/your horse.

I LOOK for stuff that may make my horse nervous, I do not "try" to protect him from what could be "scary". That has made my horse almost bombproof.

I guess we just have a different way of look at this situation. If you had posted a video of a clearly aggressive dog, my feelings would be different. These beagles were CLEARLY NOT AGGRESSIVE. Annoying, yes, but NOT AGGRESSIVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Shermy View Post
    My point was, when you ride OUTSIDE, stuff can pop up that may scare a horse.

These beagles would not bother my horse or me at all. If they live nearby, I would tell them to go home, maybe chase them, or just ignore them.

If you are just mad cuz they were on YOUR property, fine. IF it was out of fear of them scaring your horse, I stand by my point that your horse should be exposed and fine w/these dogs in your video.

If those beagles are "scary" to your horse, I would seriously work on exposing and getting your horse used to a LOT more stuff!

Deer or turkeys can be a lot more scary than two playful beagles. I still think that exposure is what you should strive for w/your horse.

I LOOK for stuff that may make my horse nervous, I do not "try" to protect him from what could be "scary". That has made my horse almost bombproof.

I guess we just have a different way of look at this situation. If you had posted a video of a clearly aggressive dog, my feelings would be different. These beagles were CLEARLY NOT AGGRESSIVE. Annoying, yes, but NOT AGGRESSIVE.
    what if every time you wanted to ride, you got to ride with those dogs?
    Every time you went to feed, there they were, beagling their little heads off?
    What if every time you were tuning your walk/canter transitions, there they were, beagling away? would you not get sick to death of all of that hollering and beagling? Sure your horse is broke to it- but at what point is working around the neighbor's obnoxious, loose, goofy, noisy dogs on your own land...going to be too much?

Those dogs are a nuisance and if the law cannot help the OP, then the OP needs to help herself to making said nuisance go away.

9 members found this post helpful.