The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Last edited by ponyjumper525; Nov. 18, 2012 at 01:33 AM. Reason: :(

On your own property?

Absolutely 100% unacceptable.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

4 members found this post helpful.

Agree with Long Spot.

I might be a little more sympathetic than some of the "dogs will be dogs" posters here due to my own neighbor dog problems. It's hard to get any sleep with dogs barking, even with earplugs and a pillow over your head. And then you wonder if your house will be robbed or burn down around you before you hear enough to wake up. It sucks. I feel your pain.

2 members found this post helpful.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Well, the dogs look like they're having a big old time, but I can see why the rider might not be.

They look like annoying, dumba$$ hounds (I can say this as the owner of a dumba$$ hound) who haven't yet had any experience with either of the business ends of a horse.

I can empathize with you though; I find loose dogs like that a giant PITA whether I am on foot alone, on foot with leashed dogs or on horseback.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't see vicious. I see little pain in the arses I've had a Rottie go after my horse many moons ago. That was vicious. My horse was a saint and didn't even kick him when he came up and nipped her hock with me yelling at the clueless owner. Thankfully it was not a full on bite.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

If they are on your property then yeah, I'd be peeved. I watched the whole video and did not see aggression or vicious behavior either. How are they getting on your property? Hopefully you can get things sorted out with their owners.

I watched the whole video as well. They are being annoying, and running at large is not acceptable, but there is no aggression there. Tails wagging, bounding up and giving they "lookit-a cool thing" bay- they want to play. I'd chase them off on horseback as well- its pretty darn hard to get a hound to bite.

11 members found this post helpful.

I think you are well within your rights to do whatever you see fit about this problem. Anything.at.all.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    I think you are well within your rights to do whatever you see fit about this problem. Anything.at.all.
    Agree. Especially if you've talked to them over and over and over.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

They are annoying. They are not large enough nor aggressive enough to truly cause any "normal" horse/rider pair any trouble. But what if you WEREN'T a "normal" horse/rider pair but a timid or green horse or a timid/green rider? Not cool. And the owners should get a heads up for sure. I'd start carry a paint ball gun.

I have been literally attacked by dogs on horseback where they were lunging for ME or at my horse's neck. Very scary. Not just herding behavior or naughty dog stuff. I get being afraid.

The dogs in that video didn't seem the least bit scary to ME, but it's still not cool.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

double post
    Last edited by BuddyRoo; Nov. 17, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

.38 special revolver loaded with snake shot would probably give them something to think about. They ignore that, well, I'd step up to FMJ rounds and let the owners know why their dogs didn't come home. I find someone else's dogs on my property coming anywhere near my horses and they'll get a full load of 00 buckshot or worse depending on which gun is closest to me at the time.

Out in a pasture? Annoying for sure but doesn't have to be a big deal.

Unfortunately, long years ago. I used to ride through suburban areas and having somebody's dog play up like that when you are also dealing with close vehicle traffic/mailboxes/parked cars/pedestrians is very very unsafe and unpleasant. Leaves a lasting memory.

If the dogs are getting on to your property I wouldn't be happy with the owners, that's for sure.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Keep it up with the law enforcement. I know people who have 1)had their dogs shot by the neighbors 2) been forced by court order to have their dog's destroyed because they roamed.

If diplomacy has been a failure with the neighbors, and you're ready to close that option entirely, then just get a bb gun and start shooting at the dogs when they are on your property. And tell the owners you are going to do so, as well. That will likely cool their 'I don't care if my dogs are on your property' attitude.

I have had some success chasing after dogs on horseback, but also some total failure. And multiple dogs means that one will likely circle around the other way. You and your horse can't chase two dogs running in two different directions at once.

Our farm has a neighbor whose dog will chase me around our hayfield. Neighbor doesn't give a FF.

I'm down the paint ball gun idea too. Then the owners would know when they had been causing you a problem!!

I think it was MistyBlue who had the best idea- take paintballs, use a syringe to extract the paint out of them and replace it with that smelly musk that hunters use.. Then the neighbors have to deal with extremely smelly dogs

11 members found this post helpful.

My driving pony and I have dog incidents all the time as we drive through a town where dogs run free. Most have gotten used to us and don't even glance up anymore. Several we've called over to us and just made friends with and they'd trot along quietly. Two started out like the ones in your video, just obnoxious and went on to attacking my pony. I got an air soft gun and shot at them a couple of times, didn't even hit them, just made a point. They leave us alone now.

I watched it all the way through as well and I agree with what Shay said. While it may have been less than relaxing for you it still was not what would be considered aggressive behaviour. Their body language was in no way threatening. That does not mean that you or your horse are going to feel that way but in this video they are not being aggressive. That does not mean it won't escalate at some point, they aren't your dogs so you don't know what they may be capable of but in this particular video it would just be evidence of irresponsible owners/dogs running at large. Definitely continue to document though because as stated before, you shouldn't have to deal with it at all aggressive or not!
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

1 members found this post helpful.

that is just annoying and noisy. Not threatening in the least. I'd chase them and pop 'em with a stock whip. After I got my horse broke to such a thing

In the scope of OMG this is only a PITA

5 members found this post helpful.

Sorry, but fail to see it as a big deal at all. They were playing. Notice the wagging tails?

If you are trail riding, you should have your horse used to many different things. A couple of small barking dogs should not really bother your horse.

My horse would not have thought twice about two beagles, as in your video.

You can not "protect" your horse from everything. It is your job to expose your horse to as many things as you can.

If you havent ridden around dogs, I would use this as a training experience. Chasing them would have been a good idea.

Horses like to push or chase things, these dogs could have given you a good learning session.

I just didnt think your video was a big deal at all. Perhaps, think of it w/a different angle. Oh good, I can teach my horse to not be worried w/this small and friendly dogs.

There was NO aggression in your video. Just beagles asking to play. If that is concerning, then in my opinion, you should be doing a LOT more to expose your horse to stuff like that.

When on the trail, you never really know what you will come across, deer, dogs, it is really all the same. EXPOSURE is your best bet, not trying to ride in a bubble. Just not really possible.

7 members found this post helpful.