The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lyme disease?

My 5 yr old English mastiff was diagnosed with Lyme. Had vet appointment scheduled for next day for a hot spot, by the morning of the appointment he was acutely lame on all four legs worse on the left front. The two issues are most likely unrelated. Refuse to get up and looked on deaths door. Got him to the vet and dx was Lyme. So he is on day 6 of doxycycline and previcox. Behavior wise he is back to normal, bright, happy and active, not as painful, less off, but is still lame. It seems to shift from left to right front but most frequently is left front. I understand the shifting lameness is typical and vet says to give him 10 days on antibiotics (he'll be on for 6 weeks min)before getting too bent out of shape and spending $$s on X-rays since we know he has OFA excellent hips and clear elbows from his initial films at 12 months and due to his size at this point have to talk horse vet into taking any pictures. However everything I read says the symptoms should resolve in 72 hours so I am worried that he is still limping and we are missing something. Anyone have experience with Lyme in dogs? What is the normal course?

Depends. I'd give it 10 days. BTDT, own the t-shirt.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I, too, have BTDT with a dog and Lyme disease.

Your dog's physical symptoms should have resolved within the first 24 - 72 hrs. (although the internal problem still needs long term treatment - often longer than one month).

The first thing that comes to mind being that your dog is still showing lameness is that he might not be on a high enough dose of Doxycycline (the treatment range does vary). Too low a dose could definitely be the reason for continuing symptoms. And the "shifting" lameness, one leg to another leg, is often the case with Lyme infections so I wouldn't worry about that.

How much does your dog weigh?

How many mg. of Doxy are you giving him?

And how often (1X/day or 2X/day)?

Quote Originally Posted by Claddagh View Post
    I, too, have BTDT with a dog and Lyme disease.

Your dog's physical symptoms should have resolved within the first 24 - 72 hrs. (although the internal problem still needs long term treatment - often longer than one month).

The first thing that comes to mind being that your dog is still showing lameness is that he might not be on a high enough dose of Doxycycline (the treatment range does vary). Too low a dose could definitely be the reason for continuing symptoms. And the "shifting" lameness, one leg to another leg, is often the case with Lyme infections so I wouldn't worry about that.

How much does your dog weigh?

How many mg. of Doxy are you giving him?

And how often (1X/day or 2X/day)?
    That's very true. My 85 lb collie was given 200 mg 2X a day.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Also, just because he hs Lyme doesnt mean something else isnt going on. IMPA often has similar symptoms as Lyme.

However, seeing that he has had a positive change with the current therapy, it could be he just needs a higher dose or simply a little more time. I would give it a few more days, especially if he is doing better.

Thanks for the relies. Dog is 240 lbs and is on 500 mg doxy twice a day. He is on day 8 of meds, will be on another 7 weeks. I'd say he is 95 percent better. He is bright, looks well, except for the slight limp. The lameness is in horse terms a grade 1 and seems to be in the left front 99 percent of the time. Vet got enough of an Xray to feel confident he did not have a tumor in that leg, which is always my first thought with sudden onset lameness in this breed. We decided to give him until the end of the week then coordinate with horse vet to get good X-rays to get to the bottom of this.

Glad he's doing better!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

How's he doing now?

WOW - that is one BIG dog!

The dosage that he is on is actually at the low end of the dosage range. If he's still experiencing some lameness, you might want to talk to your vet about upping the dose a little. Barring anything else that might be going on to cause the lameness, he just might need a little additional ammunition (Doxy) to *put out the fire* (which is probably mostly under control but still smoking a little and not quite totally controlled yet).

Sending jingles for a full recovery.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a huge bottle of doxy, 1000 count so could increase the dose. Will talk to the vet. He is 98 percent better. Talked to her about IMPA and she feels like since he improved so quickly with doxy we are on the right track. Really I thought he was going to die, and two days of pills back to normal healthy self Except that nagging little limp, although occasionally is 100 percent sound. Has 2 days left if previcox. If he gets worse when he comes off the anti inflammatory he is going back for re eval.

Not only BTDT, have the tee shirt, I have the entire fall wardrobe! Have just had to deal with this with my 20 lb. 3 yr. old Beagle. About a month ago, she started out back sore and front legged lame. Moved like someone had beaten her with a base ball bat. Tested positive not only for Lyme but also Erlichia. Started a course of Doxy, 100 mg twice a day and also Rimadyl & Tramadol. 10 days later, not much improvement.

Body palpation showed pain in front pasterns & ankles, both shoulders, mid back and both hind legs. She was taken off Rimadyl/Tramadol and started on a course of Prednisone, 1/2 tab of 20 mg. twice a day. That's when she started to show marked improvement in lameness.

A week later, she developed a case of uveitis that they attributed to the Erlichia and we treated that with prednisolone drops and homatropine. Huge improvement in the uveitis within 24 hrs. We pulled more blood and did an entire panel work up. Based on her numbers, they added Amoxicillin twice a day along with the Doxy. One week later, she is almost 100% back to normal, showing still some slight mid back soreness. We are tapering off the oral Prednisone and will continue the Doxy/Amoxicillin for another week.

It has been a month long, frustrating battle but I think we are on the other side of the woods now. I was fearful she had some disc/back degeneration going on since that is common in Beagles, but thankfully, that's not the case.

I hope your big guy shows improvement soon. Its no fun to watch them critch around in pain.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Wow outfxd, what an ordeal. Hope your beagle is better soon too! Love beagles, such sweet dogs.
    Claddagh, thanks for the dosage info. Called the vet and she said I could safely double the dose of doxy, and am happy to report 12 hours and 2 doses at 1000 mg and the limp is gone. Hopefully when he comes off the previcox tomorrow it will stay gone. Although since he is soon to turn 6 wouldn't surprise me if he is getting to the point where he may need a little more joint support than just his nupro supplement. He's going to get an adequan series as soon as he gets through this mess. Would like to avoid daily NSAIDs as long as possible

Glad to hear that your boy is no longer limping. He just needed more of the medicine to get those nasty bacteria to *take a hike* . He must be a lot more comfortable now.

As you mentioned previously, he'll be on the Doxy for "6 weeks min." - you have a good vet. You want to be absolutely sure that the Lyme is *good and gone* before stopping the Doxy. The last thing you want is to have a flare-up (recurrance) later on which can happen if the initial course of treatment is too short.

One other thing that you probably already know, but is worth mentioning just in case - don't give any dairy products for at least 2 hours before or for two hours after giving the Doxy. (So no wrapping the pills in cheese). Dairy products interfere with the absorption of Doxy so it interferes with the full effect of the medication.

Hope all continues to go well for your super-size pal.

Anyone who says lyme disease symptoms 'resolve' in 10 days is full of it. (And that dose of that weight??) I had lyme, and it totally depends upon how long the being has had it. One will 'feel better' fairly quickly, within a couple of weeks. (And I was on antibiotics for 6 months!!!). The damage to my knees never has entirely gone away. The answer it, 'it depends'. Also, give probiotics after treatment to get the 'gut' back on track, but no dairy while on it.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    Anyone who says lyme disease symptoms 'resolve' in 10 days is full of it. (And that dose of that weight??) I had lyme, and it totally depends upon how long the being has had it. One will 'feel better' fairly quickly, within a couple of weeks. (And I was on antibiotics for 6 months!!!). The damage to my knees never has entirely gone away. The answer it, 'it depends'. Also, give probiotics after treatment to get the 'gut' back on track, but no dairy while on it.
    Lyme disease in humans vs canines is NOT the same. We are talking about two different species and while the cause of Lyme is the same in both and the antibiotic treatment of choice (Doxycycline) is the same, that does not mean that the long term effects, course of treatment, severity of complications, etc. are the same. Many of the long term effects in humans are rarely seen in dogs (if the course of treatment is appropriate and of long enough duration).

From Cornell Univ.: "Dogs respond very well to antibiotic treatment. There may be recurrent disease, but dogs again respond well to treatment. Complete recovery can be expected in the vast majority of cases. As noted above, chronic disease, which can be devastating in humans, has rarely been seen in dogs."

Your comment about the symptoms not abating within 10 days may (or may not) be appropriate when discussing human Lyme but it does not apply when discussing canine Lyme. Again, two different species in which a disease manifests differently.

And your comment about "(And that dose of that weight??)" sounds rather negative but the dosage protocols depend on what species you're talking about. We are discussing Lyme in a dog and you are discussing Lyme in a human - again, two different things.

Cornell Univ. has some good information on the differences in human vs canine Lyme:

http://bakerinstitute.vet.cornell.ed...ge.php?id=1101

And this veterinary site also has good information on the differences in human vs canine Lyme.

"The first lesson to be learned about the Lyme disease infection is that it manifests completely differently in man’s best friend compared with the human experience."

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_lyme_disease.html

It is important to recognize the differences in both symptoms, both initial and long term. The OP is treating her dog (not a human) and so really the only information that is appropriate here is related to canine Lyme disease.

Human Lyme can be very scary, I've had human pts with renal failure and horrible long term pain issues. So of course the dx scared the crap out of me. But thankfully dogs and people react differently. My concern was that all the research said he should be better in 24-72 hours and was still limping. My vet did have the correct low dose, but thanks to claddagh she was willing to do some research and ok'd the higher dose. She is a great vet. I'm new to the area and hadn't chosen a vet yet and of course his first visit he was a train wreck and she had no baseline exam to go by and only vet records from my FL vet. She was super nice and took great care of my boy. She admits to very limited giant dog experience but was open to suggestions and willing to research what she didn't know. So yeah, I think I found a winner and have since brought the other three in for establishing visits. We weaned him off his previcox and so far no pain issues. Luckily he is happy to ear up his pills with his food and there are pro and pre biotics in his joint supplement. Claddagh, thanks again!