The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question How to fix these boots? Lining is torn. Dubarry knock-offs.

I got a pair of Tredstone (not TredSTEP) boots a couple of years ago, and have worn them quite a bit. They're exceedingly comfortable, even for walking miles around NYC.

The only problem is, the inside lining has worn through on both of them, just above the heel where the boot shaft meets the foot (the achilles tendon area).

What it needs is something to stiffen the boot shaft a bit to keep it from sinking down and rubbing the achilles area, plus some type of fix for the lining itself. I've put moleskin over the seam and trimmed out the lining where it was getting rolled up, but it needs a proper repair.

Any suggesions on how or where to get it fixed? I love these boots, they're waterproof and comfy and I don't wanna give 'em up.

I *did* call Tredstone and left a message, but I suppose they were out of power after the storm. I didn't receive a call back and since it's the weekend now, there probably isn't any point in trying them again until Monday.
    Last edited by Altag; Nov. 18, 2012 at 01:28 PM.

Bumping in hopes that someone has had this happen to their boots and has a suggestion! They seem to be popular type of boots...but maybe I'm the only one who's had the lining wear through.

You might try taking them to a cobbler. They may have ideas.

I've had very good luck doing this. In fact, one of my boots is at the repair shop now and I'm planning on taking some other shoes there.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

The same thing has happened with my Dublin River Boots (4 years old, I think). I was thinking of taking them to a shoe repair place but haven't, yet. I don't want to give them up!
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

We have a great local cobbler who would probably be able to fix something like that. I'd look one up in your area - I know some people are wary about sending "riding" boots to cobblers, but really, the good ones should know what they are doing.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Lightbulb I'd go for the real thing

Seems that whenever this comes up in discussion either here or in non-virtual life, the consensus is that real Dubarry's are made that much better and don't suffer the same worries as the various knock-offs. They don't seem to slump, the lining stays in and they stay looking good (unless you completely trash them but that goes without saying). They cost more initially but not in the long run.. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear but maybe a Dubarry Christmas?!! :-)
    Happy Holidays!