The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vet for pre-purchase in Seattle WA area?

Hi - I need some vet recommendation for a pre-purchase in the Seattle area (up by Monroe). Does anyone know of anyone they would highly recommend? I'm not from the area and need some recommendations (:

email me...love my vet (and in that area)
    I.D.E.A. yoda

1 members found this post helpful.

Sent you a PM.

If the horse is in Monroe, I would use one of the vets from Pilchuck (vet hospital).
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

Try Jennifer Sparks at Evergreen Equine - her speciality is prepurchase for hunter/jumper horses.
    kenyagirl

Quote Originally Posted by kenyarider View Post
    Try Jennifer Sparks at Evergreen Equine - her speciality is prepurchase for hunter/jumper horses.

I second this, or Tom Hansen. I would stay away from Pilchuck for a PPE. Bad past experience...
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

I love Teresa Englebert, she just started her own clinic earlier this year and I don't remember the name of it. She's very no-nonsense, which I appreciate. If you ask her opinion, she gives it.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by Candle View Post
    I love Teresa Englebert, she just started her own clinic earlier this year and I don't remember the name of it. She's very no-nonsense, which I appreciate. If you ask her opinion, she gives it.
    She is really wonderful, I used her for a lameness issue and then chiro, and was really pleased. Horse loved her too.

Quote Originally Posted by kenyarider View Post
    I agree with kenyarider. I'd use Jen Sparks if I needed someone on that side of the water.

Thanks so much everyone!! I was just about to ask about Evergreen as it gets rave reviews. Pilchuck has some yucky reviews - the receptionist was a bit rude on the phone - so I think I'll stay away from that one. Super helpful getting the name of a vet at Evergreen! So so so hoping they can fit me in this week!!! I love this forum!

Um I can't find Jen Spark or Tom Hansen on their website are they new or is their site out of date?

When I used Jennifer Sparks, I thought she was on her own? Has she joined Evergreen recently? I really liked her, she did a vetting on a hunter prospect for me, nothing too extreme as he was young and cheap.

Pilchuck is so big and busy, I'm sure that raises the odds of the bad review. I've had really good experiences with Dr. Bryant from Pilchuck for surgery, MRI, and consults...he also came highly recommended by my super duper vet down here for a PPE (when I used Jennifer Sparks instead as I needed someone to go to the farm).

Way back, Dr. Fleck at Rainland was our go to vet for PPEs in that area. I like him a lot, but haven't used him for a few years. Just haven't bought anything up that far, I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by horse_crazyi View Post
    Um I can't find Jen Spark or Tom Hansen on their website are they new or is their site out of date?
    Tom doesn't work with Evergreen, he has his own practice. Awesome guy and very straightforward. His office number is 425-485-8616. My barn uses Ron at Evergreen Equine and they love him. I have only been there for a few months and have not met him yet, but have heard good things. I think Horsepoor is right and Jennifer is not with Evergreen, but here is her number (425) 485-1396.

I would go with Tom, Jen, or Ron before moving on to Pilchuck...

Good luck on the vetting!

Thanks so much everyone! Called both Jen and Tom to see if anyone is available - then going to try Ron. Contact info was crazy helpful! Now let's all cross our fingers the mare passes the pre-purchase (this is always the nail biter part).

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Way back, Dr. Fleck at Rainland was our go to vet for PPEs in that area. I like him a lot, but haven't used him for a few years. Just haven't bought anything up that far, I guess!
    He is actually my first pick of who I would use for a pre-purchase in the area, if the horse wasn't pricey enough to ship down to Dr. Revenaugh in Portland. I like him very much, he is a good sporthorse vet, and he will tell you exactly what he thinks (even if it isn't what you want to hear).

OP- I sent you a pretty lengthy PM...

I went ahead and got appointment with Dr Owens. I needed to get something booked and she is available at a good time for the owner who lives VERY far away. Wish me luck!! Seriously appreciate the advice - this board is fantastic!

Hi again - so does anyone have any hauler recommendations from WA to N. Cal? I was going to use Wings horse transport as I had heard they were fantastic...but boy just looked up Yelp and they were destroyed by a few people. Their rates are excellent tho.

Really like Dr. Owens, and she seems to have a great background in sporthorse medicine.

For haulers, I love Jim Coombes. He's out of Olympia, WA. Our barn has used him to ship horses cross-country many times, and the horses get off the truck looking as good as they did when they got on. Don't know how frequently they go down to CA, but his rates are more than reasonable and the care is excellent.

http://coombesequinetransport.com/

You could also try American Horse Transport, we used them to ship to shows with no issues.

http://www.americanhorsetrans.com/

I was less than pleased using Bob Hubbard to ship my horse from N.Cal to Seattle, would not use them again.

Have used American and always been happy. They were good with the young and dumb as well as the more seasoned traveller. Rates were competitive, as I recall.

Thanks! I emailed both American and Coombes. I also tried McLemore's but boy they were $$$$ than anyone. The only thing about American is they lay over the horses at their facility. Not so much a fan of that. I have a feeling a 14 hour trip can turn into a 3 day ordeal with these shipping companies...blah!