The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Update:

Vet suggested Traumeel.

Opinions?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Fine Already--I didn't mean to "like" your post. I clicked the wrong button. Sorry to hear about your cat. I think you need a different vet. Although, I can see where extra manipulation of a problematic joint could cause additional damage so another exam might make it even worse.

mvp--Can't hurt, right? But really? Really? I'd want to up the rockstar ante myself.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post

mvp--Can't hurt, right? But really? Really? I'd want to up the rockstar ante myself.
    You mean this is a sissy-a$$ drug, all homeopathic and whatnot? I'm not sure I interpreted your post right.

I'm not pro- or anti- good ol' USDA, kidney-trashing medicine. I just want some bang in the cat for my buck.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Pretty much.

I like arnica. I'm decidedly not anti-homeopathic drugs. And I think it works ok. But just ok. Is it worth giving the Traumeel a shot, sure. But from my experience, cats are far more stoic than horses. And if you think kitty is uncomfortable, she's probably pretty freaking miserable. So, if you don't see a radical difference in short order (the good thing is if arnica is going to work, it should work pretty quick), then I'd call back and ask for something a bit more synthetic.

Adequan is a good option, but then again if cartilage is gone...yeah, tricky spot.

If it was my cat, I'd start with Cerenia. If that failed, I'd try gabapentin. FWIW, gabapentin has to be compounded for cats as the human version has on of the artificial sweetners in in it that's toxic to cats. It ran me $50+/month. Cerenia was cheaper and not as sedating. The Hyaluronex actually worked quite well for my senior who had minimal cartilage and was a tasteless liquid that she'd lap off of the end of the syringe. The others weren't as easy to administer. But the metacam...well, it's like having a kitten again. I try to use it only when she's having a rough spell--change of weather, extra activity, or has to be confined (travel) and therefore gets stiff and extra achy. Buprenorphine works well, but needs to absorb through the gums. You have to put my senior in a headlock basically (it's a two-person operation) to administer correctly. If your cat is more mouth-friendly, then that's a good option. I haven't used tramadol for my cat, but it's practically a miracle pill in some dogs I've known. And cheap! So that might be a very good option.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I can't figure out how to do a flexion test on a cat. I could drink a few beers and get ideas, though.
    Last week when my cat was acting painful I took her in for an exam and the vet did flexions on the hind legs. But you're right, cats don't cooperate. There is a limited number of times you can sucker them into jogging off for you until they plop down in a grumpy heap twitching their tail at you.

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    Pretty much.

I like arnica. I'm decidedly not anti-homeopathic drugs. And I think it works ok. But just ok. Is it worth giving the Traumeel a shot, sure. But from my experience, cats are far more stoic than horses. And if you think kitty is uncomfortable, she's probably pretty freaking miserable. So, if you don't see a radical difference in short order (the good thing is if arnica is going to work, it should work pretty quick), then I'd call back and ask for something a bit more synthetic.

Adequan is a good option, but then again if cartilage is gone...yeah, tricky spot.

If it was my cat, I'd start with Cerenia. If that failed, I'd try gabapentin. FWIW, gabapentin has to be compounded for cats as the human version has on of the artificial sweetners in in it that's toxic to cats. It ran me $50+/month. Cerenia was cheaper and not as sedating. The Hyaluronex actually worked quite well for my senior who had minimal cartilage and was a tasteless liquid that she'd lap off of the end of the syringe. The others weren't as easy to administer. But the metacam...well, it's like having a kitten again. I try to use it only when she's having a rough spell--change of weather, extra activity, or has to be confined (travel) and therefore gets stiff and extra achy. Buprenorphine works well, but needs to absorb through the gums. You have to put my senior in a headlock basically (it's a two-person operation) to administer correctly. If your cat is more mouth-friendly, then that's a good option. I haven't used tramadol for my cat, but it's practically a miracle pill in some dogs I've known. And cheap! So that might be a very good option.
    Thank you very much for the clear order of drugs suggested.

I'm a momma bear when it comes to advocating for my animals. I do like this vet (finally. See my many past posts on my Bad Small Animal Vet Karma). We are on the same page about improving catness' quality of life even if we shorten it some. Oh, and no one likes it that I'm cheap. Or rather, I want to do a cost/benefit analysis for any drug I'll use on kitteh. Big fan of easy delivery, too. No cat can check off all the boxes for Great Quality of Life if they are being force-fed pills on a regular basis.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I'm a momma bear too. And have spent 13 years in human healthcare plus lots of years in the horse world, so while I'm not afraid of drugs, I do like easy delivery. And I'm pretty stinking frugal too.

My senior thought metacam was the yummiest thing EVER. Pills are tricky for all involved. I much prefer liquids. Yummy liquids top yucky liquids that I have to hide in food and then worry when they don't eat all their food. And liquids that have to absorb versus swallow...shoot me now. I'd rather pill her.