The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New to Indiana, looking for boarding recommendations

I just moved to SE Indiana from Maryland. I would like to move my horse out as soon as possible since I don't like paying to board a sound horse I am not, but he is at a wonderful facility, and I'm not in a complete rush.

I live in Charlestown, but work nearly two hours north in Bloomington. Driving across the bridge to Ky and the Louisville area isn't really an option, I already commute 4 hours a day.

I'm looking for something between Charlestown and Bloomington. My major requirements are:

-Indoor arena
    -Either tons of turnout, or pasture board where he'll still get fed 2x a day
    -An instructor or trainer on the premise that knows hunters, dressage or eventing. OR a facility that allows me to bring in an outside trainer.

Safe fencing, fields, good hay goes without saying... but the horror stories I have from some of the places I've seen already...

Thank you very much to anyone with recommendations, or who can point me to someone who knows the area better.

Would you be willing to board in Bloomington where you'll be working? Nadeem Noon / Up N Over Stables is excellent. There's also Ann Belth / Halt Halt Farm. Nad does more eventing and jumpers (he is also very good just with dressage) whereas Ann Belth is more just dressage. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

I have looked into Nad's place. Loved the lesson I had, but I don't think it's the right place for my horse and I. I don't like the idea of being two hours away if there's an emergency when I'm at home. I'm also not too crazy about having to drive two hours to go ride on the weekends.

I'll look up Ann Belth, thank you!

Not exactly a requirement, but I was hoping to find something that's not too far off 65. That way I could stop on my way home from work, and it's easy to get to if I want to ride on the weekends.

I am new to Indiana, as well (relocated for work with the crew). I'm in SE Indy (no indoor and keep them at home. I love your Location in your profile, can I say I feel like that frequently? Keep us posted if you find anyone who does hunters in "our" area (I'm kinda near New Palestine but near 74). Yup, those are the 2 roads I know, that and the road I work on!
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Unfortunately, there is not much in this area. I also live in Southern Indiana, and have found a nice private place just off 64, very close to where I live (Floyds Knobs). The care is top notch, but there is no indoor and no instructor. It's just the BO's four horses (that she trailrides only), plus my mare. I'm sure she would not mind you bringing someone in, IF you can find someone (and if you find a dressage instructor willing to travel, let me know. I'm interested too ). There is an outdoor, but no jumps on the premises if that's a requirement...PM me if interested.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Yeah, I definitely understand wanting the barn closer to where you'll be living! Wish I could help more but I don't know of any barns that would be in between where you'll be working and living. Best of luck finding something that works for you and your horse!
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Ann Belth does not board horses although she does host clinics.

Penywell- Yes, of all the places I thought I'd end up, Indiana was never even on my radar. I like it... but coming from the DC Metro... it does take some getting used to.

RedMare- I do like the idea of a place off 64, but I can't compromise on the indoor. I work such long hours and commute so far that without an indoor, I'd either be riding outside in the dark, or only on the weekends.

Enjoytheride- Thank you for that information, you saved me a phone call when I'm starting to lose track of how many barns I've seen.