The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New billets on a CWD

My saddle really needs new billets. I'm just wondering if for resale purposes down the road if it matters if the billets were replaced locally or by the manufacturer CWD. It's about $100 from CWD and will probably take a week or so with shipping. I guess shipping would be an extra cost too. I will likely keep it for a while but will probably sell at some point or another and didn't know if it would really matter.

Thanks!

Bump?

Get it replaced by CWD, its the safest route and they're more likely to do a good job since it's a saddle of their own make. Also if you ever decide to trade it in or if you send it to their consignment program, they might not take it with off brand billets. I'm not sure of that, but it's better safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunterrider View Post
    My saddle really needs new billets. I'm just wondering if for resale purposes down the road if it matters if the billets were replaced locally or by the manufacturer CWD. It's about $100 from CWD and will probably take a week or so with shipping. I guess shipping would be an extra cost too. I will likely keep it for a while but will probably sell at some point or another and didn't know if it would really matter.

Thanks!
    Get shipping quotes from your local carrier (eg, you might choose UPS online, but then they subcontract out to Purolator in your area, then if something goes amiss, you end up trying to deal with 2 shipping companies - that's after you manage to convince a UPS contact to let slip who they subcontracted to, as that information is considered "confidential")) - you'll want to choose the tracking option & insurance

Then contact CWD & ask who they send the saddles out to for repair work, & who would do the billet replacement, ask for a confirmation of estimated repair time in writing.

If you have a local shop, go in & ask to look at their billets & billet replacement work they've done - is it just the billets or does the webbing need to be done as well?

I agree that for a re-sell, have CWD do the work (just know all your costs up front)

Thanks, everyone. That's kind of what I was thinking. I will contact them this week and go from there. I was told $100 when I emailed them a while ago. I will check again in regards to shipping cost.

I would just have CWD do them as their price is competitive with other saddle repair vendors.
    \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain

I am not familiar with CWD billets, if they are only sewn on, then the same quality or higher leather can be ordered for the replacements.
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight