The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff - Show me your female orange tabbies!

From the cat facts thread (thanks, MVP!), the vast majority of orange tabbies are male. In my lifetime, I can't remember meeting a female. Show me pics of your orange tabby girl, along with stories!
    Last edited by JumpQH; Nov. 17, 2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Tabby has a "y" when not plural!

This is Marcy. We got her when she was about 10 weeks old, give or take. My sister has a friend, who had gotten a kitten that she didn't really want. My sister volunteered to take the kitten and find it a home, and the friend was glad to accept. I woke up that morning when my sister put this orange tabby on the bed with a "surprise!" Friend said it was a boy, and it looked like a boy to me, too (plus, orange tabbies tend to be boys, so I went with it). At the first vet appointment, the vet verified that it was a boy. At this point, we were calling the kitten Simon, and I was waiting for his balls to drop so that I could get him neutered (no way am I letting a cat leave my possession with all their reproductive organs intact). Kept waiting. Brought Simon to the vet for his second round of shots, and the vet (a different one) exclaimed that Simon was actually a girl. Bugged out eyes from my sister and eye. "What?!" We'd had Simon for about a month at this point. Left the clinic with Simon's records showing a name change to Simone. Didn't like that name, so we shopped around until we found another name we liked almost as much as Simon, "Marcy." My sister and I are still bummed that this kitten turned out to NOT be a boy named Simon (we've always said that one day, we're going to have a male orange tabby, probably longhaired, and we just freaking loved the name Simon for this cat).

Anyway. Marcy is now 6 months old and ready to be spayed. She's a little firecracker and a total tomboy, but she's wreaking havoc on the 3 cats we already have (all girls). When we first got Marcy, she just seemed undersocialized. I've never seen, or even heard of, a kitten that was so aggressive to other cats. I'm talking about snarling and growling and lunging, with an apparent need to kill my poor older girls. It wasn't play fighting either, this kitten was intent on hurting. But over the past few months, she's gotten better and at some point, she stopped growling at the others. Now, she tries to initiate play, but she just can't get it quite right and the other cat ends up snarling, smacking, and then running away. In the past month or so, though, Buffy (our little dominatrix, the BOSS COW) has actually warmed up to Marcy and will sometimes join in for a game of chase or a little mini wrestling session. Last night Marcy was playing under a rug and Buffy started jumping on the lump and playing peek-a-boo with the tunnel underneath. They're not best friends yet, but it's a fantastic change from Buffy's usual reaction to newcomers (we've had our youngest cat, Molly, for 7 years, and Buffy still hates her guts). Speaking of Molly, Marcy is absolutely HORRIBLE to her. I don't know what it is, but the second Marcy sees Molly, she takes off running and takes a flying leap on Molly. I don't know if Marcy is trying to play, but Molly most certainly does NOT want to play, and we hear the most horrible scream and bellow come from Molly (she's a big girl, but a timid, quiet one and we've never heard such chilling noises come out of her before Marcy showed up). Molly's stressed out and looking haggard, and I know she's going to be thrilled when Marcy finally starts her search for another family. We wish we could keep her, but we already have the 3 cats and not everyone in the family is on board with the idea of keeping her. One thing is for sure, the family that gets Marcy is going to have to be wanting a high-energy little firecracker that gets into everything and doesn't know enough to let alone. She's probably not for the beginner cat owner. We love her, but my God, she's a lot of cat.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8282/7...f683bf2c28.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7124/7...347e0d7c1a.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7119/7...46b83568e8.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8422/7...83ee8c7ec5.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8063/8...11e2581c0c.jpg

And here's an iPod pic I took when I woke up one morning. She'd had some fun during the night with a bag of mouse bedding, then she had the gall to act innocent. It was pretty funny, to be fair, but I was sweeping up paper bits for weeks, from all areas of the house.
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8293/7...ff333d1444.jpg
    Some people are like slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

1 members found this post helpful.

Marcy is a DOLL! I loved your story - thank you for sharing Marcy with us!

Jeez Aussie, I wish I hadn't just acquired a stray thursday night... I've wanted an orange cat for.ev.er (The cats who keep finding me are NEVER orange. I don't think, at this rate, I will ever get to select a cat again.) and Marcy sounds like EXACTLY my kind of cat. Good luck finding a home for her!
    Last edited by Rubyfree; Nov. 18, 2012 at 08:40 AM.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

When we moved to our farm, Marmalade was living in the run down old cattle barn. We discovered her after a year of living there and the man living in the guest house owned a cat aggressive Boxer, so one day my mom managed to catch her and brought her inside. Marmalade hid out in the guest bedroom for about two weeks before venturing downstairs. She was spade (although a neighbor said a female with her rare coloring should be bred) and treated for worms, and has been a member of the family ever since.

Marmalade is about six now and is quite chubby, with a short but thick coat. Despite her size, she is a very good hunter and is an agile tree climber. She's a tough girl and doesn't stand down from a fight, even when our Potcake dog would trap her under a table, pin her under his front legs and bite her head. A quick box to the nose and she had him running off. She loved our old Golden Retriever and they would lay together all the time, and she even kneaded his back or sides. Because of her their close bond, we often thought she behaved like a dog; sleeping flat on her side or tagging along on walks around the property.

Marmalade loves attention and will demand it if you are not already focused on her. If you are reading, she tries to get between you and the pages, or lays right on them, if you are on the phone, she grabs at your arm with her paw, and if you are laying on the couch, she lays on your chest. If she joins you in bed, you can move around all you want and she's usually in the same spot she settle in previously.

Despite her shy and skinny start, Marmalade is a fat and happy cat who is as content roaming her property as she is chilling in the house, most liking annoying someone.

Marmalade - the early years

Marmalade and Max

Marmalade and Mojito - pinned

Passed out
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

I don't have any pictures of the one I loved-she was a barn cat at an equine surgery center I worked at a few years ago. Her name was CC, she was a beautiful orange tabby.

My girl is orange but fluffy, longish hair and no real tabby markings. Maybe if you looked really hard... I've no clue how to attach a picture.

She had been living as a stray and eating birds that came to our feeder when we lived in the country 4-5 years ago. B/c she was orange I'd assumed she was a male. She was super skittish and never let us near her. So I set out a have a heart trap and caught the cat and then took it (inside the trap) into the vets for shots and "said here, I've trapped a feral tom and want him to have his shots and a neuter". They take the trap and cat to the back and emerge a few min later with cat curled happily in vet tech's arms purring and tech says he's a she and she's already spayed..... and she's a rack of bones. Someone had dumped her in the country. She's keeping the guest bed warm as I type.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have one, she's a former feral that had kittens in my back yard. I trapped her and had her spayed two years ago. I don't have any pics because she still lives outside. I'm slowly trying to get her inside to join her two offspring and my three others. So far she comes in but goes right back out. She gets offended when touched but does allow it lol. I can tell she's super smart and if she doesn't decide to come in soon i'm going to make her. I love her and don't want to risk something happening outside. I feed her and she mostly stays on my back deck but it's time to come in.
    My other cats all "know" her and don't hiss etc so i'm hoping the transition will be easy.
    She is tabby with white chest and front feet. She is so beautifully marked, quite tigerish.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2687346&type=3

I have no idea how to post pictures! If this works... this is Tango our orange tabby rescued from under a car in a mall parking lot. She is really busy and also a 'lot of cat' we love her even though she can be BAD, into everything.

Quote Originally Posted by BrookdaleBay View Post
    URL="http://i46.tinypic.com/f9qw0i.jpg"]Marmalade - the early years[/URL]
    The SMILE in this picture is priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by NRB View Post
    My girl is orange but fluffy, longish hair and no real tabby markings. Maybe if you looked really hard... I've no clue how to attach a picture.

She had been living as a stray and eating birds that came to our feeder when we lived in the country 4-5 years ago. B/c she was orange I'd assumed she was a male. She was super skittish and never let us near her. So I set out a have a heart trap and caught the cat and then took it (inside the trap) into the vets for shots and "said here, I've trapped a feral tom and want him to have his shots and a neuter". They take the trap and cat to the back and emerge a few min later with cat curled happily in vet tech's arms purring and tech says he's a she and she's already spayed..... and she's a rack of bones. Someone had dumped her in the country. She's keeping the guest bed warm as I type.
    Thank you for taking her in! I hate hearing that people dump animals. As if any domestic animal is equipped for living in the wild!

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2687346&type=3

I have no idea how to post pictures! If this works... this is Tango our orange tabby rescued from under a car in a mall parking lot. She is really busy and also a 'lot of cat' we love her even though she can be BAD, into everything.
    Darn FB! I can't see the picture! My favorite quote - "She is really busy" !

This is Olga, one of my ferals. http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c180/1Indian/olga.jpg This pic was right after I moved in and trapped her and had her spayed. She is now a FAT happy girl. I still can't pet her but she follows me around when I walk around the farm. Big change from when I moved in. I called her the ghost cat because I'd only get fleeting glimpses of her.

I don't know if she's a tabby but she is kind of orange.

Oh, and the mother of four of my red boys was a true, dark orange tabby. She died/was killed before I could trap her. Her boys are all solid orange with varying tabby markings.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpQH View Post
    From the cat facts thread (thanks, MVP!), the vast majority of orange tabbies are male. In my lifetime, I can't remember meeting a female. Show me pics of your orange tabby girl, along with stories!
    Some great photos in this article on the sex-linked O gene (yes, O for Orange) ... OK I like the text too

We had a lovely orange boy - his mom & aunt were both equally lovely orange tabbies (Irish domestic long hairs) & of the 4 orange kittens in the 2 litters: 3 females, 1 male (we took the tortie girl & the orange boy).

Quote Originally Posted by anna's girl View Post
    I have one, she's a former feral that had kittens in my back yard. I trapped her and had her spayed two years ago. I don't have any pics because she still lives outside. I'm slowly trying to get her inside to join her two offspring and my three others. So far she comes in but goes right back out. She gets offended when touched but does allow it lol. I can tell she's super smart and if she doesn't decide to come in soon i'm going to make her. I love her and don't want to risk something happening outside. I feed her and she mostly stays on my back deck but it's time to come in.
    My other cats all "know" her and don't hiss etc so i'm hoping the transition will be easy.
    She is tabby with white chest and front feet. She is so beautifully marked, quite tigerish.
    When I moved to this new house there was the most beautiful fluffy, creamy-orange cat I had ever seen. Truly beautiful. I thought it was a male and didn't try to trap "him" right away. *sigh* "He" deposited several long hair kittens in my shed. Of the 4 kittens, all were long hair like momma, 2 were tiger stripe calico girls, 1 was a handsome orange male and the last was an orange girl. She is very pretty, has golden eyes and a dark orange and cream coat. She has stayed fairly wild as the other 2 girls have become tame(r). Can't touch any of them, but they stay close and usually sleep in the shed.

I had no idea an orange cat could be female. I thought it was calico - female and orange - male. The mother, after dropping off her kids, moved out of the neighborhood. I've only seen her twice since. She is definitely feral.
    Last edited by Gestalt; Nov. 18, 2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: typo
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    This is Olga, one of my ferals. http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c180/1Indian/olga.jpg This pic was right after I moved in and trapped her and had her spayed. She is now a FAT happy girl. I still can't pet her but she follows me around when I walk around the farm. Big change from when I moved in. I called her the ghost cat because I'd only get fleeting glimpses of her.

I don't know if she's a tabby but she is kind of orange.
    She is very pretty - that picture is very compelling to me for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Some great photos in this article on the sex-linked O gene (yes, O for Orange) ... OK I like the text too

We had a lovely orange boy - his mom & aunt were both equally lovely orange tabbies (Irish domestic long hairs) & of the 4 orange kittens in the 2 litters: 3 females, 1 male (we took the tortie girl & the orange boy).
    WHEW - that's involved! Some very interesting pictures on this link!

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    "He" deposited several long hair kittens in my shed.

More kitties please!

It was only a few years ago that I found out most orange tabbies were male, and then it dawned on me that I really hadn't ever met any females.

I have a huge soft spot for the orange males. Such knuckle heads with huge personalities. From the stories, it sound like the orange gals have equal amounts of personality, but perhaps a bit more dignity that their male counterparts.

Love the pics. Keep em coming.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."