The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is this a good deal on a Black Country Vinici?

I'm looking at a saddle for my TB and found one I like and seems like it is a good deal.

It's a Black Country Vinici GP Saddle, monoflap, 17 Buffalo With Reverse Doe Seat/Knee Rolls. Includes 2 girths for $950. It looks like it's in good condition, but I can't find too many older ones of these used so I'm not sure if it's a good price.

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...y5BEg60_58.jpg

Sounds like it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    Sounds like it to me.
    Me too.

FWIW, Black Country saddles are ridiculously comfortable and well made. If it fits your horse I'd scoop that puppy up tout-sweet.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Question very good deal, IF....

it's in good shape. mine's for sale for over twice that much - I'd sure be trying it cause you likely aren't going to pick one up for that price ever again!

Editing because I just reread the OP's post and jn4jenny's reply...mine is the Vinici monoflap JUMP saddle...
    Last edited by RunForIt; Nov. 17, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I'm currently riding in a collegiate diploma that pitches me forward and rocks on my horse's back. I'm not secure in it and he's clearly not comfortable in it. My saddle fitter said she could reflock for $350 but I hate that saddle and want something more secure and comfortable for both of us. Saddle fitter thinks this will work. Think I'll get it!

Congratulations! Looks like a lovely saddle. Do have the saddle fitter check it over for tree integrity. I bought a saddle from one of the well-respected on-line resellers, and the tree was cracked. They took it back, but my saddler's letter was key.

GREAT PRICE! If that's the saddle you want, snatch it up!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

And if she wants to sell those irons, tell her to contact me
    ~Veronica

Okay, I'll be the contrarian and say that while I think it's priced reasonably for what it is, I wouldn't call it an exceptional deal. Here's why:

1. It's a general-purpose saddle, not a jumping saddle. In general, there's a much smaller resale market for GP saddles than jump saddles. I have known several folks who struggled to resell their Black Country GP models for as little as $700-$800. By contrast, if it were a Black Country Vinici Monoflap *Jump* model, you'd have to stick a "1" on the front of this price tag to get the fair price--and I'd be telling you to take this thread down immediately before someone stole the saddle out from under you.

2. It's a monoflap, and it's black. That means almost nobody in the hunter/jumper market will look at it, and the monoflap design will make it unappealing to many lesson programs. It will appeal to a subsection of eventers, endurance riders, pleasure riders, and trail riders.

3. Because of its dressage-saddle-like deep seat, it's going to ride a little smaller than the 17" seat size suggests, more like a 16.5" really. Again, this limits the resale market.

In terms of quality for the price? Yeah, it's a steal. And like any Black Country saddle, it'll be very well made and probably very comfortable. If it suits your needs, it fits your horse, and you're not unduly concerned about speed of resale, then go for it. But just know that you're probably getting a fair price, not an exceptionally good price.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    But just know that you're probably getting a fair price, not an exceptionally good price.
    It comes with 2 girths (unknown quality but likely worth something) and if it comes with the leathers and those irons-- that's a $250+ value in the irons and leathers alone. If it comes with a lot of fittings for $950.... you're really getting the saddle for $650ish which is NUTS.
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    It comes with 2 girths (unknown quality but likely worth something) and if it comes with the leathers and those irons-- that's a $250+ value in the irons and leathers alone. If it comes with a lot of fittings for $950.... you're really getting the saddle for $650ish which is NUTS.
    Oh, are we itemizing?

I've seen the listing. We're talking two synthetic girths that are worth $25-$30 each on the used market. Agree that the Prestige Ideal webbers and the Bow Balances are worth something, and overall, I think your estimate of $250 for all accessories is pretty fair. But $950 minus $250 still puts us at $700, which I'm pretty sure is what I stated above as a typical "still gonna struggle a bit to move it but it will move eventually" price for a Black Country GP saddle. If it had some Black Country custom panel option bells and whistles, like wither gussets and K panels, I'd revise the selling price upward. But it doesn't, so I'd say $700 + accessories seems fair.

I haven't seen the listing, but I think with everything included that's a really good price. It's not a saddle I particularly want/need but you could do a whole lot worse in that price range!
    ~Veronica

If you buy it without the thought of resale value, it is worth it. I have an old Courbette Vision (16yrs. old) that I don't like jumping in, but I love it for trail riding. It's worth it just to keep for that. Also, since I didn't pay a huge amt. for it, I don't mind if it gets scratched up.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Did you buy it? I think this is my old saddle, I bought it from England 2 years ago and sold it this summer. it was a great saddle, but it pitched me forward. I guess it would depend on how your horse was built, I had it reflocked twice and then ended up buying a dressage saddle and a jump saddle cause I could never get in the positions i needed for either to event properly.

I believe this saddle is currently on eBay for $1250 with no bids. Seventeen hours left for the auction. It is in NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Malmare View Post
    I believe this saddle is currently on eBay for $1250 with no bids. Seventeen hours left for the auction. It is in NJ.
    That's the one. I offered her a lower price ($900) but she wasn't interested. I really need more of a jumping saddle, although this looks like a really comfy saddle. It's been on eBay for quite some time with no bids.