The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So disappointed with Blundstone!

I loved my "Blundies" comfortable and sturdy. Only had them maybe two yeasrs, did not wear them everyday, only in the barn during shows. The soles and heels wore out to nothing, something that I have never had happen with Ariats or any other paddock boot that I wore far more often.
    Took them to the shoemaker and he said they cannot be resoled. Blundstone tells me they are made with the one piece construction so they will be comfortble.
    I am extremely disappointed and don't think I will ever buy another pair. I just feel they should have lasted much longer under the circumstances and if I am going to spend over $150 in boots, they should!

I believe there was an earlier thread saying Blunnies are now made in China, so not of the same quality.

Many people have switched to Redbacks. I know for me, they fit my feet better (very high arch).

1 members found this post helpful.

Copper1, I used to buy Blundstones at a local horse trial's trade show but one year the company didn't show up with Blunnies but did have RedBacks, which are also from Australia and look similar. They are great. I wear mine all spring,summer and fall daily to do barn chores. They do not get any attention at all and have held up very well for probably the past 5 yrs. I'm actually on my 2nd set. Here's their website:

http://www.redbackboots.com/

Not sure if you're aware but from what I heard from Marc B is that last winter he was diagnosed with lung cancer.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I have had Blundstone Cuthberthsons for years (they last for years). I prefer the smooth sole for riding. The first pair I had I just wore out the leather-the second, the heel and sole is disintegrating.So when I tried to get a new pair recently they have changed the shape-sooooo disappointed.

I had the same problem, Googled the Blunnie US rep and sent him an e-mail complaining. Their customer service was GREAT, and they replaced my boots. And they told me that they have reformulated the material used for the soles so it shouldn't happen again.

I give them high marks!
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

I switched to redbacks and like them a lot better. I had been wearing blunnies for many years...they just were not holding up any longer. I wear mine daily, all day except when I am on a horse.
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Same thing happened to me, my Blundstone 500s at 1 year old, the sole started coming apart. I have continued to wear them, but now at 2 years old they are kaput. The leather tops are fine. Longtime Blunnie buyer, but I expect $140 boots to last longer than a year. Am going to order some Redbacks, thanks for the referral COTH!

Which model of Redbacks do you guys buy? I am looking at the Easy Escape but am concerned about there not being a well defined heel --- I need to ride in these.

My Blundstones lasted 1 year and I only wore them in the winter. Will never buy them again.

I bought a new pair of Blundstones about 6 months ago.
    They were discounted old stock at a local hardware and on sale for $50
    Mine normally last a couple of years but these ones, the sole on one boot started to fall apart within weeks.
    I sent in a consumer enquiry to their website and offered to send them photos.
    They emailed me back and I sent in the photos and they replaced them with a Spiffy brand new latest model pair of Boots
    and mailed them to me asap

I was very happy with the prompt service, apparently it was a common fault in a batch so maybe contact them on their website and offer to send photos.

I may just send them a photo but not buying again! I will check out those redstones though, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by copper1 View Post
    I may just send them a photo but not buying again! I will check out those redstones though, thanks!
    Redbacks. They have an ugly spider at the pulls.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I have posted this in other Blundstone threads, but the new manufacturers mean the quality had tanked. Two friends who work at REI say tons of new pairs gets returned due to quality issues.

bummer. I hate when stuff like this happens to good brands. I haven't been able to find a good pair of boots for dress-up (not horse related, I mean with skirts). My last pair lasted 10 yrs. most recent pairs barely give me a year, and they aren't cheap. irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark Farm View Post
    Which model of Redbacks do you guys buy? I am looking at the Easy Escape but am concerned about there not being a well defined heel --- I need to ride in these.
    I wear my Easy Escapes for everything but riding. In my opinion, the tread is too deep and the soles too grippy to safely wear for riding. I used to ride in my Blundstones (both the 500 and the 200) all the time, but now I use Ariat Terrains for riding.

I had started a thread awhile back about the downfall of Blundstones. I also got Redbacks, but had to return them as they did not fit in my stirrups I ended up with Treadsteps which are okay, but I liked my old Blundies better.
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeMorgan View Post
    I have had Blundstone Cuthberthsons for years (they last for years). I prefer the smooth sole for riding. So when I tried to get a new pair recently they have changed the shape-sooooo disappointed.
    Yep, same thing happened to me. I wore the hell out of Blundstones in the late 1990s early 2000s. In 2005, while working for REI, I ordered through our company discount a new pair same size, same model. What I got wasn't even remotely the same boot. It was much wider, with a cheaper sole and it was TOO small. I gave them away a few years later, still new in the box.

I will never buy them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    Two friends who work at REI say tons of new pairs gets returned due to quality issues. .
    Hmm, interesting. I think REI only sells one Blundstone brand shoe and in my 8 years with the company I can't recall seeing Blundstones on the website in an REI store until now and still just the one.
    Dreaming in Color

I wouln't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. I scored a pair of 500s off ebay in October that were in almost new condition. The soles are totally falling apart. I'm going to try contacting customer service and see what happens.

I have been wearing a pair of Danskos since 2009 and they are getting worn.
    I ordered a new pair and one boot was crooked, like someone had put one size left half onto a bigger size right half of the boot and the sole leaned inward very much.

I think all such boots today are cobbled together somewhere in China and quality control misses bit time.

I may look into the red ones with the ugly spider.

Am I safe to assume that none of us here would buy a Chinese made saddle? Why do we keep buying other Chinese made riding gear time and again that look like garbage after 300 hours of use? Do they even know what paddock boots intended use is? From the posts I have seen some of the customer service reps expect them to be worn as fashion boots not actual using boots.

The manufacturers should be required by the BBB to disclose how much the item cost to make, packing and shipping, origin of materials used, how much the average assembler is paid, and the working life of the item, perhaps the environmental impact* of the item, This could be listed in numbers under the barcode of the item and people could translate it off a chart.**

*Disposable diapers would be off the charts on that one- there has to be a better option than landfill for that little baby accessory.
    **I would like to add the compensation of the top 3% of the company in the formula but this is not the forum for that.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Am I safe to assume that none of us here would buy a Chinese made saddle? Why do we keep buying other Chinese made riding gear time and again that look like garbage after 300 hours of use? Do they even know what paddock boots intended use is? From the posts I have seen some of the customer service reps expect them to be worn as fashion boots not actual using boots.

The manufacturers should be required by the BBB to disclose how much the item cost to make, packing and shipping, origin of materials used, how much the average assembler is paid, and the working life of the item, perhaps the environmental impact* of the item, This could be listed in numbers under the barcode of the item and people could translate it off a chart.**

*Disposable diapers would be off the charts on that one- there has to be a better option than landfill for that little baby accessory.
    **I would like to add the compensation of the top 3% of the company in the formula but this is not the forum for that.
    Maybe because there are no similar USA made boots that fit even close to those made in China now?

Read on isolationism in trade.
    I think the USA would very much be on the losing end of that one.