The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

bad, bad... no supper for me tonight

oh wait...seems I missunderstood...

bad
    ( adj )Excellent, outstanding.
    Last edited by clanter; Nov. 18, 2012 at 09:41 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Yeah, and the irony isn't lost on me. Many of the people happy to anonymously call something bad are easily offended and hurt if someone were to do it to them. It is very high school. It could also take on a form of bullying, per the definition most people out here decry as poor behavior and worthy of punishment when seen in someone else.

Makes for a very interesting study in human nature. In gang mentality and the overwhelming need to have everyone fit in a box of popular choosing.

Very interesting...and all anonymous to their COTH friends, let alone perceived enemies.

And as a thumbs up would show they appreciate being recognized thusly, you can bet this will also be rated with few who appreciate having the mirror turned on them.
    Last edited by Velvet; Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:47 PM.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    Ah! Is there a way to "ignore" the notifications? They are certainly unsolicitated by this poster.
    Bring this up in the Help Forum - it's already being discussed in various horse related forums, but Admin is asking that all these types of concerns be raised in the Help Forum: if you want Admin to notice/react to a concern, then you need to bring this up in the appropriate place that is being monitored for such concerns.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Yeah, and the irony isn't lost on me.

As there seem to be some navigational difficult
    - an' this too would be irony

Moderator 1

Administrator

No ruckus is required. As we commented before, the thumbs down was instituted as a trial, which means we'd try it out and see how people liked it.

It seems that the feedback on the thumbs down is fairly universally negative, though we'll probably conduct an official poll to give folks the opportunity to weigh in after they've had a chance to see how it works in "real life."

We'll be addressing thumbs and other questions after the development team works their way through the list of remaining glitches to fix since the first priority is to get everything working properly (search is fixed, but needs a small tweak; email notification still aren't going out; thread views wonky, etc.)

Thanks for taking your time to provide your input here. We're going to close this thread so folks are more likely to see this post/explanation, and we'll post a poll on a new thread later if necessary.

Mod 1

I'm far more likely to be bemused by a strange dislike than feel hurt or ganged up on or to begin proposing conspiracy theories, but that's just me
    I do think it's odd. If you really disagree with me, use your words. As for the thumbs up, I like it. It saves lots of space!

It's a moot point, but I think attaching names to the thumbs down would just start even more arguments and cat fights.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

8 members found this post helpful.

I vote for the thumb sucking icon.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

14 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, and the irony isn't lost on me. Many of the people happy to anonymously call something bad are easily offended and hurt if someone were to do it to them. It is very high school. It could also take on a form of bullying, per the definition most people out here decry as poor behavior and worthy of punishment when seen in someone else.

Makes for a very interesting study in human nature. In gang mentality and the overwhelming need to have everyone fit in a box of popular choosing.

Very interesting...and all anonymous to their COTH friends, let alone perceived enemies.

And as a thumbs up would show they appreciate being recognized thusly, you can bet this will also be rated with few who appreciate having the mirror turned on them.

Some serious over the top paranoia there. Why are you taking this so personally?

It's possible that some people are just disagreeing with some of your posts, isn't it? Maybe the same number as before the thumbs but pre thumbs, people did not always bother to type out "I agree" or "I disagree".THe thumbs likely tend to trigger an opinion just as the "like' button on FB triggers an opinion.

Whether that is a useful thing or not is debatable but to imagine that everyone must be ganging up on you is rather silly.

I went in and looked at my notifications. A mixture of good and bad. It did cause me to think about the "bad" ones and consider briefly but they were easy to ignore if appeared random and easy to accept if they probably just indicated a different opinion.

Meh, in other words.

I vote for the thumb sucking icon. .

11 members found this post helpful.

All the "thumbs down" I've gotten so far have to do with this thread.

5 members found this post helpful.

Welcome to the party!

I think a LOT of people out here would benefit from seeing the movie, "A Clockwork Orange."
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I don't know, I think it is a waste of band width. I left facebook, Who cares if someone likes or dislikes what anyone types.
    It was always solved with a quote and a response, Or an ignore.
    I have had several bad posts. I am not losing sleep over it.
    I still think the person who came up with the Ears pinned emoticon idea is great. That would be fun if someone could make one!
    Last edited by Sannois; Nov. 19, 2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Add a thought
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

If they do that, then they shouldn't bother with tallying bot rather just have a small gallery of emoticons attached to the bottom of the posts and let people count smileys and pinned ears for themselves.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I don't care one way or the other. I'll 'like' a post if I feel it has good, helpful information that I have nothing to add to.

If I really dislike a post because I think its harmful or just nasty, I'll type out exactly what I dislike, and why.

Has nothing to do with personalities - I'm just opinionated. And I can perfectly understand why some people, who are a little more thin skinned, might prefer to simply use a thumbs up down rather than risk being the focus of some annonymous diva's determination to flay them just for the fun of being a bully.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

4 members found this post helpful.

Wow someone gave me a thumbs down on my post on here, I think it was pretty mellow. I said I think it is a waste of band width..
    Me thinks some need the thumbs up to validate their post validity.
    Ohhh I am going to get a thumbs down for that!
    Besides what does it have to do with Dressage.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Hey, you can just look at my posts out here and guess what the majority are in my notification section!

Oh, and I love how it says that you'll find the information "helpful" when someone gives you a thumbs up or thumbs down...NOT!

Meh, whatevah.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

BTW, the "similar threads" list has American Saddlebred Assoc Closed Until Further Notice. Wow, how did it make that connection??

This new forum is just so...interesting.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Thumbs down

I keep getting thumbs down on my post from this thread.

It must be due to my stalkers. They are trying to scare me off, and anyone else they think threatens them.

Do what I do...put them on your ignore list. Oh, wait, since it's anonymous you'll just have to guess. Unless they're like Crotchety pot. I see her name, but not her posts. I can only guess what that alter-alter is saying.

Thank goodness they didn't change some of the better tools on the forum!

Oh, and one interesting thing the thumbs down is good for, you might be able to guess if someone replying has multiple alters. Look at the reply, then the number of negatives and how quickly they came together. Hmmm...
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Velvet, I've played with an alter before (in a long and amusing off topic train wreck of a thread, if it matters) and it isn't the quickest process to sign out and back in and get back to the same place. It is probably just multiple people disagreeing with you, hard as that is to believe

Of course, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you...
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

10 members found this post helpful.

Crockpot doesn't have many posts but obviously is not new to the forums.

2 members found this post helpful.

Um, I've had an alter-alter before and logging in and out is simple and quick. So I really think it does happen.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"