The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stallion suggestions for small, sensitive mare

Hello all,

I'm looking to breed my mare in 2013. This is my first-time when it comes to warmbloods, and I am not really interested in the registry of the foal. The mare is registered with American WB. I know she is half-Andalusian (it would make sense, she moves like one!), and the rest is unknown. My experience is with racing TBs up until this point. Not sure I want to breed her with that, though.

Anyways, I am looking for a successful stallion that produces height and a fantastic temperament. My mare is 15.1hh on a good day, but can jump around the mini prixs/jr jumpers with the best of the big horses! Amazing scope, amazing heart. Now we just need height!! Not looking to spend over 2k. The mare is sensitive (okay...she's pretty "hot") to ride, but one of the most amazing horses I've ever been around.

With all that said, I am undecided as to what I want this foal to "do." Nothing wrong with just wanting a nice riding horse, right? My stallion list is so long at the moment, but I want to hear everyone's opinions!

Here is a picture of her conformation.

I would stick to a Breed stallion rather than a warmblood stallion, and a proven 'stamping' one with lots of foals on the ground at that because you don't know what she is and which one of her ancestors will pop out of the woodpile.

So Thoroughbreds and Trakehners are the ones I'd suggest - I don't think an Arabian will give you height.

For example, if you look at Guaranteed Gold xx - he stamps his offspring both physically and mentally (very good temperaments) - he'll probably add 2" to your mare and if you look at Tatendrang, a Trakehner, all his foals have long legs and exemplary shoulders.

Good Luck!

1 members found this post helpful.

A Fine Romance is my suggestion - I agree, I would be tempted to go with a TB
    http://www.afineromance.ca/offspring.html

Otherwise, Bon Balou from Dreamscape Farm just did fabulous at his most recent Stallion Testing, and came out the Jumper Champion. Well worth looking into.
    http://www.dreamscapefarm.com/HorseDetail.aspx?ID=566

A Fine Romance is a good suggestion. So is Sea Accounts who is now approved with the ATA. I would really recommend Magritte at Mae's Way Farm. He's tall, produces it along with really lovely temperament, and Mae is wonderful to deal with. http://www.maeswayfarm.com/Magritte.html. Very nice mare. I like her good substance and she looks pretty balanced. Good luck.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

Freestyle foals are generally VERY laid back and I would think he would add some height. Also Jennifer is wonderful to deal with!
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

Second Cindy's suggestion of Freestyle...of Bon Balou. Both Dreamscape Farm stallions. I have met both stallions and whatch them be handled...good minds on both.
    Discuss your mare and her needs with Jennifer their owner.
    Very knowledgeable...and helpful.
    Martha
    Breeder of Quality and Colour
    Tobiano Pinto Sporthorses
    www.jmrpintos.com

She's lovely! If you wanted to add height without losing any scope, I'd suggest looking at Landkoenig. His youngsters generally have great scope and good movement, and he is known for passing on height and a nice temperament. Plus, Edgar is awesome!