The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Triple Crown 30?

Thinking of switching my weanling feed to this. She is on roughly 2#/day of a mare & foal (Equus Development) feed and looking a bit too fat . She does get free choice grass hay. Opinions? How much of the ration balancers do you typically feed your weanlings? Per day?
    edited to add... yes, I realize the grain is not making her fat. But I don't want to increase her feed as I worry about her nutritional needs. She is getting alot of hay-

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    Thinking of switching my weanling feed to this. She is on roughly 2#/day of a mare & foal (Equus Development) feed and looking a bit too fat . She does get free choice grass hay. Opinions? How much of the ration balancers do you typically feed your weanlings? Per day?
    edited to add... yes, I realize the grain is not making her fat. But I don't want to increase her feed as I worry about her nutritional needs. She is getting alot of hay-
    I run into this a lot with customers, and it's a very common issue. Many times we can't feed weanlings enough grain to provide all their nutrition without causing obesity or providing too much energy and affecting growth rate. Ration balancers are great for growing horses, and a lot of times I'll mix a RB with a traditional grain to provide adequate nutrition and controlled energy. As far as how much to feed your weanling, it would depend on how big she is now, is she growing fast or slow, and what is her suspected mature bodyweight. On average, a weanling should get about 3-4 lb of RB per day. The company should provide specific info about their RB and feeding recommendations.

As an example, my 5 month old weanling (who is growing very fast and is a big boy) is getting 2 lb of Seminole Equalizer (RB) and 3 lb of Grow Right (traditional grain) per day. I'll keep adjusting that as he grows.

I would check the back of the bag. My 24 year old horse got 1-1 1/2 lb per day as did my baby. Additional minerals were added for baby based on hay analysis.

A weanling would be getting 3-3.5lb of a RB in most cases, depending on their expected size.

2lb of a M&F feed isn't nearly the nutrition that the appropriate amount of a RB is, so yes, I'd be switching.

You will probably still be in the same calorie range, so that might not help her weight. You could look into TC Lite, which is normally fed at 1lb/500lb, though I don't know the amounts for a weanling - my guess would be double, but I won't swear to that.

I have fed TC 30% for years. They are wonderful about providing info on their products, so I wouldn't hesitate to contact them.

FWIW, the 30% is quite concentrated in terms of vitamins/minerals. I have always fed 2 lbs a day to my weanlings with excellent results. 3+ lbs sounds like a lot for this particular product. If you need more calories, I'd try TC Growth.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tuckawayfarm View Post
    I have fed TC 30% for years. They are wonderful about providing info on their products, so I wouldn't hesitate to contact them.

FWIW, the 30% is quite concentrated in terms of vitamins/minerals. I have always fed 2 lbs a day to my weanlings with excellent results. 3+ lbs sounds like a lot for this particular product. If you need more calories, I'd try TC Growth.
    Ditto. Back of bag feeding recommendations: For balancing pasture and/or hay, feed 1 lb. to 1.5 lbs. per 1000 lbs. of body weight. I feed about 1.5# day with hay and no other grain to my weanlings with great results.
    Chestnut Creek Farm
    Visit us on Facebook!