The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Am I Awful For Cursing at a Dead Horse?

Now, he didn't just die. I'm not that kind of person.

Back in July, we had to put down my DH's horse. He was the horse that led me to joyously post this thread.

But this horse, underneath his Sainthood, was a royal PITA. He was a horse that I feel lucky to have known, but I know that if I had met him as a youngster on the track that I would have wanted to strangle him. He had a wicked sense of humor and loved to be just a little bit difficult. Among other things, he liked to dig around the water trough. I have moved the trough to a new location, but the hole has never gotten filled in. It (hole) is no longer in the horse area due to fencing changes, it is just off the main travel path. But tonight, I got distracted, veered off the path, and stepped in the hole. I turned my ankle and went down, spilling beet pulp all over me.

I was not hurt, just spooked the pony a bit when I went splat. I should have filled in that hole a long time ago...And I know Hemi was laughing at me from wherever he is. As I flexed my ankle to make sure everything still worked, I shouted a curse in his general direction, then laughed with him.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

9 members found this post helpful.

Laughing my butt Off in the kindest sense!!

I can actually picture your description! Swearing, clutching at your ankle and feeling the beetbpulp water soaking in! Lolololol!

Gotta love it!

I read your attached thread, how's the lessons going? I gave one and a half to my SO this summer, and all I have to say, is that if he were a paying client I'd drop him for stubbornness and back talk! Heehee

1 members found this post helpful.

Lessons were going very well, then life got in the way. It likes to do that around here. One day, maybe we'll get out of cirsis-mode and have a routine. We'll probably start up again after the holidays on using my old gelding.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Argh! I had my whole response typed out! Damn iPhone and big man hands lol!

Somethinng to the tune of, that yes I totally get the whole life gets in the way sometimes. But somehow horses will always be in the picture even if they are put on the back burner.

My SO and I can't do too much with my mare as she is still somewhat green, and sensitive, and so is he lololol.

This is when I miss my old steady Eddie chestnut pony Chico that I pts in 2008 along with his partner in crime Commander . He was so great at teaching the noobs as well as teaching the know-it-all teens a thing or two! Lol. He would turf a rough riding teen, but would be gentle as a feather with a special needs child, flailing on his back. Gotta love the old guys

We should start a spin off thread, on how to teach your spouse or SO to ride with out strangling or divorcing them lol! it's a fine line I tell ya!!

Good luck for after the holidays! And please update

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by Miss J View Post
    We should start a spin off thread, on how to teach your spouse or SO to ride with out strangling or divorcing them lol! it's a fine line I tell ya!!

Good luck for after the holidays! And please update
    Amen to that Spinoff!
    When DH was a total newb, TG my trainer stepped in and got him started.
    But some 5yrs later, when we moved to a different barn and finally got DH his own horse I got the Trainer Chair and in retrospect I'm sure the other boarders looked at us like we were The Bickersons (if you're old enough to remember the Breakfast Hour radio show...)

Me: "Let go of his face!"
    He: "I'm not holding it!"
    Me: "%*!!*#!"
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

2 members found this post helpful.

My favorite is when you do to an outside trainer and they say they EXACT same thing you have been saying for months. The DH would look at you and say "Why didn't you tell me that?"

4 members found this post helpful.

2Dogs, I thought you were refrencing Adriene and Paul Maloof, from The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills! Lmao! They were nicknamed the Bickersons. I thought it was a cute name they coined for them, didn't know it came from another show! And they are now divorced btw.

But that is pretty much how our 'lessons' went. That and a lot of swearing under my breath and a couple of facepalms.

Comeshine: I know for a fact, that that is exactly what would happen at a trainers! With the added bonus of him listening and being completely receptive to said trainer.

Hey guys, I started a a spin-off thread! Come post your stories
    http://http://www.chronofhorse.com/f...06#post6672706

Quote Originally Posted by Miss J View Post
    Comeshine: I know for a fact, that that is exactly what would happen at a trainers! With the added bonus of him listening and being completely receptive to said trainer.
    Totally!!

Nah, I have a dear departed gelding like that. I say have because he was such a lovable royal PITA when we had him that I'm sure he's still here haunting me. I'm pretty sure he moves stuff around in the tack rooms, and I've got several unrepaired blankets/coolers/pads etc that he damaged I keep meaning to repair but when I come across them I shake my fists, think of Gym and fold them back up. Horse show friends can be heard shouting "DAMNIT GYM!!!" at least once or twice a show-it's kind of a circuit joke "blame Gym". Gym used to pretty much wreak havok at shows when he wasn't in the ring kicking butt. Found his calling as a 13 and under horse, LOVED the kids and terrorized the adults. One of his former little girls now an AAOTR rider told me at regionals this year "I miss him. He was such a good horse. <pause> Kind Of."
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

I remember one time when I was feeding, he kept trying to run off the other two before I could get everyone in the outdoor stalls. I had already dumped his feed, but he wouldn't let me catch him, or go in his stall. He wanted to be a jerk instead. So as he charged at Gypsy, I lobbed the empty feed bucket at him. It hit him square in the saddle spot and clattered all the way to the ground. The look on his face was priceless! Into his stall he went. I think he kind of respected me for the creative discipline. I'm sure the hole is only part of the payback.