The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Broodmare with clover sensitivity, anyone have one?

My mare has a well diagnosed case of clover sensitivity, she is also extremely reactive to dandelions too. No other members of her "family" dam, full sister, 2 half siblings had/has any issue with this. She is easily managed and I know how to prevent any further outbreaks. She is everything I want in a horse. she has a great temperament, attitude, work ethic, and movement. Has anyone ever dealt with this in a broodmare?

Are you refering to Alsike Clover poisoning or your mare is allergic to clover?
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

I assumed after talking to my vet and hay farmer that it was alsike clover poisoning. Not sure where the dandelion issues came from, but I also assumed that they were related as her symptoms were identical. Her last issue was in 2009 with this, and I thought that I would ask and see if any others had dealt with this, as I am breeding her in the spring.

I haven't personally had a horse with alsike clover poisoning for 15 years...and suddenly had 4 or 5 ponies come down with it this summer. After speaking with more than one vet, and horse owners across our Province, it has been a really bad year for it, due to the extra moisture this year, etc. It can realistically happen to any horse who ingests too much alsike clover. Are you sure it was in the hay and not out in your field? Our ponies ingested it out in our pasture.

If the alsike clover came from your hay dealer....then I would switch providers immediately, as most hay dealers know that they CANNOT have alsike clover in their fields. If ingested enough, it can cause liver failure!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com