The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My latest piece of tack to blame for my s#*$%y leg position

Can we talk stirrups? I took a long overdue lunge lesson today and my instructor suggested that my stirrups are too wide for my foot. She thought I might be battling a losing leverage battle. I would appreciate COTHers input on correct stirrup size. I ride in safety stirrups - in which the outside bar is bent. I like the stirrups as I don't feel claustrophobic. Are stirrups measured the same way as bits? Mine measure 5 1/4 inches from inside bar to inside bar. The widest part of my booted foot measures 4 inches. So ..... I have 1 1/4" of wiggle room.

What is the recommended size? What stirrups do you like best and why?

I so hope that this is the panacea I have been looking for

1 members found this post helpful.

Those stirrups do sound like they are way too wide for you. I've always been told that the golden rule of stirrup irons is to make sure that your foot cannot get caught in them. Beyond that, 1/2" of clearance is plenty. If your foot (in boots you ride) measures 4 inches then 4 1/2 is plenty for you.

My BF has 5 1/2 irons and I definitely notice a big difference in how my foot sits in the irons on his saddle. Much less comfortable and much more of a struggle to be in the right spot.

At least buying new irons is a cheap fix!!

Yup, too wide. Makes a big difference in a stable leg and ankle. Try smaller ones and you will feel the difference. Also make sure to get fillis irons (heavier)

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by arlosmine View Post
    Also make sure to get fillis irons (heavier)
    Never heard of them......what are fillis irons?

Fillis Irons are regular ol' irons, the traditional ones with heavier bottoms.

I agree with others, 5.5" sounds way too big. I wear a 8.5 shoe and have always have 4.25" or at most 4.5" irons.

Irons usually come in Sizes: 4", 4.25", 4.5", 4.75", and 5"

I think 4.5" are a traditional female sized stirrup (unless you're an Amazonian super fem).

In fact, I'm nearly positive there has been research to support a direct correlation between proper stirrup size and successful corner negotiation. You take the properly sized stirrup iron, dangle it methodically in front of your face, and repeat "I will not have a runout . . . I will not have a runout . . . "
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    I think 4.5" are a traditional female sized stirrup (unless you're an Amazonian super fem)
    I am a bit Amazonian but not super fem Fabulous to know about your extensive corner research....I'm ordering tonight.

I agree that 1/2" of room is about right.

Last week I rode in safety stirrups with the bent outside bar, and I HATED them. There is literally no way you could ever get your foot stuck in them...I couldn't keep my feet in them!

I prefer the old-school heavy plain stirrups. They're more secure and if you lose one, they are easy to pick back up.

For the longest time I was a hardcore metal stirrup only type of guy. Than I can across some Carbon Fiber ones, which were the same price as metal ones, so I went with them. I use those on my jump saddle, but metal on my dressage saddle.

My new fantasy is that I'm on Jeoprady and the subject is stirrups. If only I could put this same laser focus on solving quantum physics calculations or learning Chinese.

i rode in 4 3/4 inch Peacocks yesterday and felt that I was not fighting as much to keep my leg in place. Fergs- I think I agree with you. Enzo - are the Carbon fibers light. Do you notice any issues "finding" them?

Be careful with the peacock safety irons- they're really not meant to be used by adults. I used to ride a pony in them and the metal snapped one day when I was mounting.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Be careful with the peacock safety irons- they're really not meant to be used by adults. I used to ride a pony in them and the metal snapped one day when I was mounting.
    Agreed,! fortunately you can get the same effect with several other straps on the market that are made to handle adult weight. If you're looking for the stability of a Phyllis iron but also with a safety release feature, try the kwik-out stirrups or ghe mountain horse quick release stirrups. I have both, and I like both.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryhrs View Post
    My new fantasy is that I'm on Jeoprady and the subject is stirrups. If only I could put this same laser focus on solving quantum physics calculations or learning Chinese.

i rode in 4 3/4 inch Peacocks yesterday and felt that I was not fighting as much to keep my leg in place. Fergs- I think I agree with you. Enzo - are the Carbon fibers light. Do you notice any issues "finding" them?
    The Carbon fiber ones are really light, and I love them. It is hard to find them sometime, but with my horses trot, its hard to find any stirrups some times.

Just FWIW, I threw my "safety" stirrups like yours away after getting my foot caught in one when I went over my horse's shoulder. He spun with me flying around like an ice skater! Thank goodness he knows WOAH! I ended up with Sprenger System 4s. "Safety" stirrups aren't always safe
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

I had to switch to bigger stirrups when I got my winter riding boots. I went to the store & she commented that I was buying the largest size, that they were huge & that I had better try them out first with clean shoes b/c she doubted they would fit a girl.

They fit perfectly. I felt like a giant freak.

I once went trail riding on someone else's horse. The stirrups had those rubber things around the sides. Even in my regular boots I could just get my toes in. I have big feet, but they are narrow (like skis).

I wonder if big guys have a hard time finding English stirrups.

"I wonder if big guys have a hard time finding English stirrups."
    Sometimes when I ride some of the PC kid's horses, I have trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    I had to switch to bigger stirrups when I got my winter riding boots. I went to the store & she commented that I was buying the largest size, that they were huge & that I had better try them out first with clean shoes b/c she doubted they would fit a girl.

They fit perfectly. I felt like a giant freak.

I once went trail riding on someone else's horse. The stirrups had those rubber things around the sides. Even in my regular boots I could just get my toes in. I have big feet, but they are narrow (like skis).

I wonder if big guys have a hard time finding English stirrups.
    First.......YOU CRACK ME UP! Second......Great sales person you had there Third.....Totally agree about the winter boots - I do the same and think I never switched them out for the summer which is what started this whole issue for me. Fourth - I give you huge kudos for even getting on a horse in the winter in Minnesota! Finally - Agree about the challenge men must have. In my exhaustive catalog research - the largest size is most commonly 4 3/4", occasionally a 5" and very rarely a 5 1/4".
    I sometimes think makers of tack envision us all as 12 year old adolescent girls in pigtails.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChaser View Post
    Just FWIW, I threw my "safety" stirrups like yours away after getting my foot caught in one when I went over my horse's shoulder. He spun with me flying around like an ice skater! Thank goodness he knows WOAH! I ended up with Sprenger System 4s. "Safety" stirrups aren't always safe
    Glad you are alright. Do you mean you had on the peacocks? YIKES! The Sprengers are so freakin' expensive. My typical pattern is to spend a like amount on things that don't live up to my expectations - then bite the bullet and get the "good stuff."

With some problems with my feet that came along with my RA diagnosis I decided to try the wider (front to back wider) track, carbon fiber stirrups. I use the cheese grater pads in them. The slightly wider width makes them way more comfortable for my painful feet and I never seem to lose a stirrup. I love them! Wish I had tried them sooner.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

I have wide feet and have to use 4 3/4 inch wide stirrups. I'm 5'1" and petite... lol! When I rode at the track, we had to put bigger irons on my saddle. My trainer joked I was going to weigh down the horse too much with my giant irons... I agree they sound way too big for you, that's the size irons my husband rides in and he's 6', 220 lbs and wears a size 13 W.