The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Dog in extreme pain with swelling at the base of the tail. Causes?

My 13ish year old Beagle, Hootie, was perfectly fine last night, but this morning when DH went to let him out he was whining a little. He went halfway down our stairs and started screaming bloody doggy murder. DH didn't know what was wrong and picked him up and placed him in the grass outside. Hootie then walked around normally for a second and went to poop and started screaming again. DH said he was shaking with his tail between his legs and screaming/howling/whatever you want to call it in pain. DH rushed him to the vet where they said he had swelling at the base of his tail, but they couldn't find anything else wrong with him and prescribed anti-inflammatories. The vet also said this is common in sporting dogs that exercise and swim a lot... But not ancient sedentary Beagles. Any ideas of what is going on or any experiences with this? The vet said to bring him back on Tuesday or Wednesday if he isn't better...

ETA: When Hootie came in last night he acted completely normal. He ate his dinner and laid on his bed and stayed there until this morning like he usually does.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Here's a good article about the cold tail syndrome thing (more properly called "limber tail"):

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/iss...s/15685-1.html

What was he like last night? Any increase in activity at all? Looks like a lot of various things can set it off.

Thanks for the artical Simkie! We have been letting him stay outside for longer periods of time... Not that he exercises, he more just sits in the grass and watches. I wonder if it is spending more time outside and the weather getting colder... He also has zero pain tolerance. If you just accidentally bump into him, he'll yelp, so it sounds like this is exactly what he has.

ETA: My husband drives me insane. I called him and told him that I think it is probably Limber Tail Syndrome. He says as if he just remembered "Oh yeah, that's what the vet said!" I explained to him it would have made me feel a lot better had he just remembered to tell me that in the first place instead of making me think the dog had a freak, unexplainable tail injury He also said the vet wasn't 100% sure it was Limber Tail because of the low level of activity... Who knows...
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

LOL at helpful husband... I'm glad Hootie is feeling better today!