The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rolex spectator advice? First timer here!

For my Christmas gift, hubby is taking me to the Rolex in the spring. I'd like to buy our tickets this week, but I've never been before (Been to KHP once a long time ago!). Any advice on what to buy? We will arrive Friday evening so we will miss dressage but will be there for XC and Stadium. Probably also catch some of the reining on Sat night too. We're planning to stay at Campbell House. Should we spring for one of the hospitality areas? tailgating spot? Or should I save my money for the vendor areas? Help!
    Me: In a long-winded explanation of who GM is and why he is Important to the Sport
    Mr EmJ: So what you're saying is GM is so Important he could get Chik-Fil-A on Sunday?

save your money and walk the XC to watch, best way to do it! especially if its nice you can find a nice spot on the grass and watch for a while then move on plus they have screens throughout the course so you can see other parts too. I was a groom there last year, my rider did not run XC so i got to watch a bunch which was nice, and then of course for stadium get tickets in the stadium to watch, but save your money for the trade fair, LOTS of good items, food is very expensive though, almost better to pack a lunch and go out to your car and have a quick picnic! The reining is really cool on saturday night, plus make sure you check out the vet box at the end of XC to watch the REAL work happen

ENJOY!

Regular general admission is probably the best way to go now The Equestrian Club tickets used to be awesome, but I don't think it's worth it anymore.

Tailgating is great if you have a bunch ofpeople - just as a "home base" to put things and camp out for lunch, etc, but you will probably spend most of XC day walking around

I would totally recommend getting up early Sunday to watch the jog, too It's fun to see the riders all dressed up and the amazing job they and the grooms do to keep those horses going through the whole event. Plus, some truly excellent dog-watching and snoodling opportunities.

And make sure to take a stroll down to the hall of champions and visit Cigar and Funny Cide
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

how could i forget about the jog! haha its one of those things that all blurs together with icing, braiding, purple shampoo ect!

Default If you are going to miss the first two days

Then I'd skip the hospitality, unless of course you enjoy premium parking with valet service to your car. People on golf carts to take you anywhere you want to go, fabulous catered lunch and bar service as well as primo private seating on stadium day.

And of course 4* restrooms.

It's pricey, but I do it since I go all 4 days. It's my little annual treat to myself.

The Campbell House is nice, but make sure you aren't on the side right next to the Hospital's helipad.

Ask me how I know?????

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    Then I'd skip the hospitality, unless of course you enjoy premium parking with valet service to your car. People on golf carts to take you anywhere you want to go, fabulous catered lunch and bar service as well as primo private seating on stadium day.

And of course 4* restrooms.

It's pricey, but I do it since I go all 4 days. It's my little annual treat to myself.

The Campbell House is nice, but make sure you aren't on the side right next to the Hospital's helipad.

Ask me how I know?????

GOOD info to know! Thanks And I definitely want to watch the jog on Sunday, didn't think about the vet box after XC- will check that out too!
    Me: In a long-winded explanation of who GM is and why he is Important to the Sport
    Mr EmJ: So what you're saying is GM is so Important he could get Chik-Fil-A on Sunday?