The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 84
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2012
    Location
    Fern Creek, KY
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    If somebody put the $$ into gelding him, how rideable would he be? Or would he still just be a big pasture puff. After the $200 purchase price + $800 gelding fee, $1,000 investment doesn't seem that bad for a reasonable trail horse. He seems like a good enough soul, based on the pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.



  2. #42
    Join Date
    May. 22, 2003
    Posts
    9,625

    Default

    For one non-descended testicle, either cryptorchid or monorchid is correct. Cryptorchid means either one or both of the testicles has not descended. Source - Merck Vet Manual

    Monorchid refers to either one non-descended testicle or only one testicle developing in the first place.



  3. #43
    Join Date
    Nov. 12, 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,362

    Default

    Actually he had been advertised on CL (in NY) for quite a while by the previous owner. Apparently he was given to them for their grand-daughter as a X-mas present (I think she was 6 or 7). He was for sale for $500.00, then $400.00, $350.00 and then $300.00. Or trade for hay, goats, or a beef cow.

    It was mentioned in one of their ads that he did only drop 1 testicle and he hadn't been handled other than being able to lead and to be brushed.

    If she didn't need a stallion in the first place, why did she agree to purchase him with her friend? Especially, an un-broke, unregistered stud when she already had 9 horses.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2012
    Location
    Fern Creek, KY
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    Actually he had been advertised on CL (in NY) for quite a while by the previous owner. Apparently he was given to them for their grand-daughter as a X-mas present (I think she was 6 or 7). He was for sale for $500.00, then $400.00, $350.00 and then $300.00. Or trade for hay, goats, or a beef cow.

    It was mentioned in one of their ads that he did only drop 1 testicle and he hadn't been handled other than being able to lead and to be brushed.

    If she didn't need a stallion in the first place, why did she agree to purchase him with her friend? Especially, an un-broke, unregistered stud when she already had 9 horses.
    Because a 4 year old, unbroke stud is a GREAT X-Mas present for a 6 year old... There is no rhyme or reason to some people, I'm convinced of it!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Nov. 12, 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss J View Post
    The second 'confo?' pic does suck, but I think the back of the stall board has blended into his neck making it look like it droops down. And I'm pretty sure he isn't bucksin.
    The original owners had posted better pictures in their ad. He' a cute little buckskin and has a dark dorsal stripe with a white star. I think they probably deleted the ad when they sold him to this person because now I can't find it.

    One of my farrier's customers were interested in him until they found out about the "missing ball".



  6. #46
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2002
    Location
    between the barn and the pond
    Posts
    14,344

    Default

    This thread illustrates (to me) how 'many' (not all) Democrats love 'the poor' en general, en masse, but not...you know, individuals that are poor or in dire straits or living in old trailers or without mud control in place. Those individuals, well, we'd better mock and humiliate them from the convenience of our smart phones, teach 'em a lesson.

    If the seller was smart she'd say her local power company dropped a pole on his head after Sandy, and it's all their fault he's got his head screwed on wrong. Somehow work in LIPA and this horse would be snapped up in a heartbeat.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb. 20, 2010
    Location
    All 'round Canadia
    Posts
    5,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Those individuals, well, we'd better mock and humiliate them from the convenience of our smart phones, teach 'em a lesson.
    AHAHAHAHAHA!

    Those particular individuals are posting those pics and the ad from the convenience of their smartphones, as it happens!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    May. 12, 2008
    Posts
    4,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Because a 4 year old, unbroke stud is a GREAT X-Mas present for a 6 year old... There is no rhyme or reason to some people, I'm convinced of it!
    You are confusing the two ads. The previous poster stated there was an original ad that stated the horse had been given as a Christmas present. This is from the person who went in with her friend to buy him from them.

    For all we know, there was a promise of paying to have him gelded and paying for his feed or a deal where one pays gelding, the other trains and they flip him. Then the first individual bails.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHA!

    Those particular individuals are posting those pics and the ad from the convenience of their smartphones, as it happens!
    It could be a really inexpensive tablet device. There are a lot of them around and selling for a lot less than a cell phone and only having wireless means no data charges. So, there is that also.



  9. #49
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2002
    Location
    between the barn and the pond
    Posts
    14,344

    Default

    Some folks get alllll up in arms about how other people should live, where they should live, and how they should live, and even who gets to live with horses.

    The other folks belong to the other political party, right? Right?

    This is about my fill of Friday Judgypants Day in LaLaLovelyLand, where we text or email complete and utter strangers and tell them how to spell, and how to live, where to live (no trailers!) and how many horses to own, AND finally how to manage the end of a life they don't want to feed anymore.

    Fascinating.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Oct. 9, 2012
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Why do these ads always have an abundance of mud and an old mobile home in the pictures?
    I don't know about the mobile home but my guess about the mud is simply that quite a few people don't think about selling these kind of horses until bad weather hits and they realize they will have to buy more hay to feed the extra mouth. Then it becomes a mad dash to move that extra mouth on down the road. It's so easy to put things off when the sun is shining.



  11. #51
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2008
    Location
    Where The Snow Flies
    Posts
    2,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    This thread illustrates (to me) how 'many' (not all) Democrats love 'the poor' en general, en masse, but not...you know, individuals that are poor or in dire straits or living in old trailers or without mud control in place. Those individuals, well, we'd better mock and humiliate them from the convenience of our smart phones, teach 'em a lesson.
    Politics has absolutely NOTHING to do with this thread. I'm sorry your candidate lost and you're obviously still affected by it. I've moved on from the election. I voted and made my voice heard. Not much more I can do than that.

    Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    If the seller was smart she'd say her local power company dropped a pole on his head after Sandy, and it's all their fault he's got his head screwed on wrong. Somehow work in LIPA and this horse would be snapped up in a heartbeat.
    Wha??

    Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Some folks get alllll up in arms about how other people should live, where they should live, and how they should live, and even who gets to live with horses.
    I didn't say anything negative. I just made a comment about a trend I notice in a large number of the very low end Craigslist ads. I have family that live in mobile homes. I don't consider them to be trailer trash. They're educated, well spoken and employed. Some of their homes are BEAUTIFUL and nicer than mine. My aunt has a master en suite that I would kill for. No, no judgypants, just generalized observation.

    It's marketing. Clean the horse up and present him like a million bucks and he might have a shot. Keep him filthy and have the pictures a representation of some redneck rodeo, and well... you're going to drive away a lot of prospective customers. It's the same reason why, if you're selling your car, you clean it out and get it detailed. By doing so, you will be able to squeeze an extra $500-1000 out of your buyer because you'll present yourself like a responsible car owner. You may not tell him that you haven't changed the oil in like 80,000 miles, but it's all about the impression you give. It's the total package.

    May I suggest going commando next Friday Judgypants Day so you don't get your panties all in a bunch?


    11 members found this post helpful.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Some folks get alllll up in arms about how other people should live, where they should live, and how they should live, and even who gets to live with horses.

    The other folks belong to the other political party, right? Right?

    This is about my fill of Friday Judgypants Day in LaLaLovelyLand, where we text or email complete and utter strangers and tell them how to spell, and how to live, where to live (no trailers!) and how many horses to own, AND finally how to manage the end of a life they don't want to feed anymore.

    Fascinating.
    Isn't your post all "judgypants" about other COTHer's posts...or doesn't that count?


    13 members found this post helpful.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2002
    Location
    between the barn and the pond
    Posts
    14,344

    Default

    Sure, I suppose it is Jetsmom. For all the 'get your opinions out of my bedroom' some COTHers are often all about jumping up and down about what's happening in someone else's barn.

    I just find it fascinating and consistent.

    Carry on. I'll keep my panties, thanks.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2002
    Location
    between the barn and the pond
    Posts
    14,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Politics has absolutely NOTHING to do with this thread. I'm sorry your candidate lost and you're obviously still affected by it. I've moved on from the election. I voted and made my voice heard. Not much more I can do than that.

    Wha??

    ?
    My point is that if ONLY she was well spoken and wrote the write tear jerker, folks would be petitioning to save the buckskin. Instead we're telling the owner how to live and what to do.

    Panties on, thanks, it's cold out.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    5,282

    Default

    There's a point there, even if folks don't like to see it. Are these the folks that should have their horse and their food stamps because they deserve some happiness? How come it's ok to make a joke about a trailer house here but in political posts you better not make a single appraising remark about a single food stamp recipient? I've been slammed myself for saying that I didn't think it was right for tattooed drunk smoking parents to use their EBT card to buy the baby a freaking full suger SOBE when there was a perfectly good grocery store across the road (judging behavior, not circumstances) but over here on Off Course anyone can make fun of the very same people for living in a trailer house or being poor spellers, just because it's horse related.

    I can't believe it's taken this long for someone to point out the double standard.


    9 members found this post helpful.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Dec. 11, 2005
    Location
    Southern California - Hemet
    Posts
    1,688

    Default

    Even though the CL poster explained the tilted head, I wanted to add that a horse with visual problems will often tilt his/her head to see better.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California
    Posts
    4,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Why do these ads always have an abundance of mud and an old mobile home in the pictures?
    Rhetorical question...
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg


    1 members found this post helpful.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2004
    Location
    Medford Oregon
    Posts
    917

    Default

    Uh, I don't think this has anything to do with politics, it has to do with a horse who has issues, in need of expensive surgery, has a possible neck defect and is being sold for a price that might better be spent on euthing. It's impossible to say if he's much of anything from the ad, and by the advertisers comments to people who emailed with her it's not like she thinks much of him. It's sad more than anything else, and despite where and who owns him, he's got a bleak future no matter where he goes if he's not humanely put down. No one wants to put a "healthy" horse down but you have to admit he's got more than a few strikes against him sadly. I think it's fair to question the owners responsibility for selling this horse as she just wants to get rid of him. A responsible owner would either find him a free lease situation with a good contract that he not be "sold down the road" but that would be predicated on if she cared which she doesn't seem to.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Oct. 30, 2009
    Posts
    1,903

    Default

    Yeah, the whole situation is very sad.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2012
    Location
    Fern Creek, KY
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    You are confusing the two ads. The previous poster stated there was an original ad that stated the horse had been given as a Christmas present. This is from the person who went in with her friend to buy him from them.

    For all we know, there was a promise of paying to have him gelded and paying for his feed or a deal where one pays gelding, the other trains and they flip him. Then the first individual bails.



    It could be a really inexpensive tablet device. There are a lot of them around and selling for a lot less than a cell phone and only having wireless means no data charges. So, there is that also.

    I was referring to Shine's post when she stated that the first buyer recieved him as a Christmas present for their daughter, then was trying to unload him for $500. Regardless of which ad it was, I still wouldn't give a 6 year old a 4 year old stud for Christmas.

    I'm in agreeance with those who have a point in saying that a "Sandy dropped a telephone pole on his head" story would move him a lot faster than talking about his wilting flowers.
    Last edited by Superminion; Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.


    3 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Another interesting "hot young stallion" vs "proven older stallion" tidbit
    By Hillside H Ranch in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Nov. 18, 2013, 04:39 PM
  2. Retirement = "they all get nail guns to the head"??
    By Lynnwood in forum Off Course
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Dec. 1, 2011, 08:15 AM
  3. can I improve a horses trot who "wags" their head?
    By TSHEventing in forum Dressage
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Aug. 8, 2011, 03:39 PM
  4. Tilted Head
    By LaraNSpeedy in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Jun. 1, 2010, 07:36 AM
  5. Helmets - Knowing If Your Head is "Regular" or "Long Oval"
    By supaflyskye in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar. 25, 2010, 07:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness