The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Winter Riding Boot question.

I am looking into getting some winter riding boots & I don't know if I should just get insulated paddock boot with 1/2 chaps or buy insulated tall boots? What's your experience with either type?

I like the full tall boot myself, then you are protected all the way up if there's heavy deep snow. I have a or of Mountain Horse boots.

I also have a pr of mountain horse winter paddock boots. They are like 2 bricks on my feet, terrible for riding and too bulky for a half chap to fit over. And they are too wide for my stirrups, and I get anxiety abut getting my feet stuck. I use them for mucking stalls. Great for that, not so much for riding.

I went with the Ariat Bromont tall boots. I have been really pleased with how warm they are. They are water proof and very comfortable. They are decent looking and would be fine for a fun show.

I have ridden in the Ariat Bromonts and loved them, I thought they would be bulkier but were great for riding in! I have also seen (but not worn) the Middleburg fleece lined tall boots. I admired them on my friend very much! They looked very comfortable and flexible in the stirrups as well.

I have the Mountain Horse Ice Rider boots and I love them. SO warm!!! They really do make a huge difference. Yes, they are bulky and definitely not flattering but I do ride in them and don't have any issues. I have also fallen off in them and my feet didn't get caught in the stirrups Definitely not for shows but great for schooling in frigid temperatures, IMO. My feet weren't cold once last year! I am about to break them out gain for this winter...

Thanks so much for the info guys. I really appreciate your feed back!!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Full tall boot, definitely. I love my Dubarrys and am definitely planning on investing in a pair of Clare's when I can afford it as they're more suited for riding than the ones I currently have.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I'm thinking of a pair of winter tall boots too. Are the boots mentioned warm enough (without bulk) for upstate NY? I noticed several respondents on this thread are located well south of me where its not as cold (and if it gets this cold it doesn't saty as cold) as here in the tundra.

In January and February since I ride at night I can count on the temps always being below freezing and often being below 20 degrees, F.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    I'm thinking of a pair of winter tall boots too. Are the boots mentioned warm enough (without bulk) for upstate NY? I noticed several respondents on this thread are located well south of me where its not as cold (and if it gets this cold it doesn't saty as cold) as here in the tundra.

In January and February since I ride at night I can count on the temps always being below freezing and often being below 20 degrees, F.
    I lived in the "real tundra" aka middle of the Canadian prairies for a while and both the Ariat Bromont and Mountain Horse winter boots were quite popular. I would go for a full boot and not a paddock boot just because it is hard to get half chaps on over the paddock boots.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I just recently moved to warmer climates . I've posted on many threads singing my praises of my dubarrys. First shoes I've owned that have kept me warm and dry throughout Scottish winters. I used to live in NW PA (40 mins south of Lake Erie, so we got lake effect snow and lots of it along with below freezing temperatures) and really, really wish I'd had my Dubarrys then too. Pairing them with a thick pair of socks or welly warmers definitely would have done the trick!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I don't have any personal experience in your area, but I do know that my feet generally get cold very, very easily. The Ariat Bromonts keep me so warm that there are times my feet are a little too hot. And I don't even wear them with heavy winter socks most times - just my regular riding socks.

And the poster above who noted that they feel less bulky than she thought is spot on. I thought the same thing, but they have been very comfortable to ride in, and you can show in them if you need to.

I absolutely love them! It is the best winter riding purchase I have made.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Linny I am north of you and its freezing up here. I ride in Ariat Bromonts and they do keep me warm. And this is my third year in them and they're still in really good shape. I find I can ride in them like I ride in my regular boots, I had a pair of Mountain Horse ones that were too clunky, couldn't put my heels down, and made me ride funny. I would definitely buy another pair of Bromonts.

Glad to hear from the Canadians! You hardy souls are far more informed on such issues than my (beloved) neighbors in the mid-Atlantic. I was considering the Bromonts and the Mountain Horse and if both are suitable, I'll narrow it down by fit.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

A friend of mine recommended winter paddocks and half chaps (something about being able to fit thicker socks under them), but of course I ignored her and bought a pair of Ariat Bromonts.

They're a not clunky, just a bit too short and wide on me, but they're comfy and warm even in Montreal winters so I love them anyways. Apparently pretty durable too, another friend's pair (upstate NY) is going strong after 3+ years.