The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spanish Riding School Presents Lipizzaner to U.S. Army - 1964

During their visit to the U.S. in NYC at Madison Square Garden in honor of the U.S. Army saving the "white horses". Quite the difference between the SRS rider on the horse and the U.S. Army rider on the horse!

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/sp...se-to-u-s-army
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

1 members found this post helpful.

Nothing like a sack of potatoes plunking down on an aristocratic back .

I was curious about how toward the end there was some comment about how the American Morgan had much in common with the Lipizzaner ... anyone know why??

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    I was curious about how toward the end there was some comment about how the American Morgan had much in common with the Lipizzaner ... anyone know why??
    Probably just that they both trace back to Arabian bloodlines. Although I will say that many of the Morgans that I have ridden offer "airs above ground."
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Nothing like a sack of potatoes plunking down on an aristocratic back

That poor horse was like "What is this thing on my back! Seriously guys? You're gonna leave me here with these hacks?!?!?! COME ON!"

2 members found this post helpful.

I believe in that year there were 1 or 2 Morgans actually touring with the SRS and being ridden by their riders. I have a program from that tour and the Morgans were only in the first part of the show which had riders in Baroque costumes. The second part was the actual SRS performance that we see today.

I think the Morgans (if there were 2) were Parade and Broadwall Drum Major owned by Cecil Ferguson of RI. I remember that Broadwall Drum Major was part of the show, but can't remember if his sire was there also and my program is at home and I can't look it up .

Nothing like a sack of potatoes plunking down on an aristocratic back .

JanDinWA is exactly right - good memory! Morgans were the breed of the US cavalry, so the comments are logical in the context of the US Army presentation. The remount Morgans were rigorously tested and bred in a way that made them quite suitable for the challenges of dressage. There's a pic of Podhajsky on Parade here: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PP5zwpxCKH...sPodhajsky.jpg
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by JanDinWA View Post
    I believe in that year there were 1 or 2 Morgans actually touring with the SRS and being ridden by their riders. I have a program from that tour and the Morgans were only in the first part of the show which had riders in Baroque costumes. The second part was the actual SRS performance that we see today.

I think the Morgans (if there were 2) were Parade and Broadwall Drum Major owned by Cecil Ferguson of RI. I remember that Broadwall Drum Major was part of the show, but can't remember if his sire was there also and my program is at home and I can't look it up .
    I am pretty sure you are correct. Both of the toured. I don't like to think what I would do if the devil knocked on my door and offered me such a pair.

What the breeds have in common is that they are both baroque in shape, similar in movement and AWESOME.

There's a pic of Podhajsky on Parade here: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PP5zwpxCKH...sPodhajsky.jpg
    Since I was a kid, when I picture the perfect horse, this is the type in my head. Friggin' fantastic! of course, it might have had something to do with all the gov't line Morgans I used to see trotting around.

I used to take lessons on Broadwall Drum Major.
    *sigh*
    Last edited by Hippolyta; Nov. 18, 2012 at 08:00 PM.