The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Good starter saddle for a child?

First a quick brag of sorts on how proud I am of my 8 year old daughter for saving up well over a thousand dollars to purchase her first horse. Honestly I was just so proud of her for showing me just how serious she was about wanted her own horse since she can't ride our other two. She was also wonderfully patient about the entire process and didn't jump at the first horse she saw (although the first horse we tried out is who we ended up purchasing )

And now for my question...

I have lots of saddles, one of which she is using right now for riding but I would like her to have her own saddle that fits both of them since my saddle is too big for her. I don't want to be spending more than 300 since she'll be growing out of it in no time I'm sure and honestly I would love to buy one for less than 300 but if it's the right saddle I'm fine with paying it. I've never purchased a childrens saddle before and honestly I'm not sure which ones are good and if there's any to stay away from.

She rides english and really it is just for pleasure, not planning on showing or anything she really just wants to be able to have fun and enjoy him right now. She's a small frame and he's a fairly big boy for her at 15.1 with a nice stocky build which of course means I have to roll the leathers for her feet to reach the stirrups lol. I want to get a saddle that fits her better because there's just too much room for her right now and while she's getting a better seat it would be a lot easier if there wasn't all that room to wiggle in!

So what are your suggestions for a basic first childrens saddle or is it not something I should bother purchasing since she'll be growing for a long while? I never had a childs saddle when I was taking lessons as a kid and I'm just not sure if it's worth it or not.

Samantha and Red
    http://tinypic.com/r/16jh5xc/6

Red under saddle when we went to see him the first time
    http://tinypic.com/r/jt05qa/6
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Older model child Stubben Rex. My '70's model fits pony and very round QH.

Ditto on the Rex. That's what I had for my first English saddle (had a western saddle too) and it's what I acquired for my daughter at age 7 for around $150 at that time (she's 19, almost 20 now).
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

I was also going to recommend the Rex. I still have the one my parents bought me back in 1965. You can't beat the quality. It has a deep seat, so your youngster will feel very secure, and it's very comfortable. My daughter rode in mine and loved it as much as I did. Now it's ready for my grandchildren (whenever they come along).

They fit a lot of horses and are especially good on round ponies and QH-types.

Stubben isn't making them anymore, but you can find them used for reasonable prices. Good luck.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

My first saddle was a Pessoa pony, which I highly recommend. They're $1,000 and $1,500 when purchased new, but an older, used one should me much less. Your daughter will get the best possible position and, if you take good care of the saddle, you will make your money back when she outgrows it.

Stubben Rex.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Great, thanks so much guys. I'll start looking now!
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

The Pessoa is an amazing kid saddle. We've got lots of htem at our barn, and they're usually passed along. They fit a variety of horses well, and put kids in a great position. You definitely cannot go wrong with them. We've also got several kids riding in Bevals - their kids saddles usually run in your price range, and are nice as well.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

1 members found this post helpful.