The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1. #21
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2006
    Location
    Seabeck - the soggy peninsula
    Posts
    3,473

    Default

    Howeve "cute" the marketing pitch, that is a horrifying feeling when a horse is in a full out gallop and it suddenly turns into a jump. That picture frightens me, I do not see it as "cute". They jump puddles sometimes, they will run sideways leaping over a puddle, (I was unseated like that in mid air) and I was not a race rider, I was in a gallop through a woods, thought the mare would gallop through the puddle and she did not. Luckily I landed on my feet both times this happened and did not break my leg, but I did get a mean sprain out of it. Anytime a racehorse jumps in any direction, up or sideways, it could be fatal for many. Just think that these jockeys are crouched over a neck sometimes lifting their body out of the saddle, and just think about what could have happened except that they were athletic enough (both man and horse) to continue on together. I can imagine that jockey did not think that jump cute.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

    John F Kennedy



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2006
    Posts
    2,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    "I wanna be a steeplechaser!"
    "No!"
    "I wanna jump the big fences!"
    "No!"
    "I'm gonna jump the imaginary fences!"
    Bwahahahahaha I rode a horse that jumped imaginary fences! Fun horse when I was 20 something, wouldn't be fun now though.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2006
    Posts
    2,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    "I wanna be a steeplechaser!"
    "No!"
    "I wanna jump the big fences!"
    "No!"
    "I'm gonna jump the imaginary fences!"
    Bwahahahahaha I rode a horse that jumped imaginary fences! Fun horse when I was 20 something, wouldn't be fun now though.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2006
    Posts
    2,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    "I wanna be a steeplechaser!"
    "No!"
    "I wanna jump the big fences!"
    "No!"
    "I'm gonna jump the imaginary fences!"
    Bwahahahahaha I rode a horse that jumped imaginary fences! Fun horse when I was 20 something, wouldn't be fun now though.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2006
    Posts
    2,119

    Default

    Calamber, You post about "fear", yet your signature is about defying fear. Color me puzzled.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*


    2 members found this post helpful.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2006
    Location
    Seabeck - the soggy peninsula
    Posts
    3,473

    Default

    The realization of a situation to fear and letting fear dominate you are two completely different concepts. If you see the "Gestalt" of the picture (sorry could not help myself), I have a different response than cute. Perhaps I should have said that the horse jumping imaginary objects was of concern rather than it frightened me, but it certainly would have frightened me if I was riding the horse. Later, if I survived, I could have had time to recover from that moment of fear and try to think through how I would really not like to ride a horse over an imaginary jump at approx 30 mphagain. I do not think Marie Curie was saying that there is nothing to fear since she was dealing with the use of her lifelong work of discovery either being used for weapons or for peace.

    I was more commenting on how "not cute" it is in either the marketing pitch or the pitter patter of comments. This is dangerous when it happens in a race, and not exactly a good quality for the horse as a riding/pleasure/showing, etc. animal but it certainly happens that horses do things on the basis of simple survival only. Vision being what it is, it is not always reliable but they are horses after all. Hope that is less confusing.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

    John F Kennedy



  7. #27
    Join Date
    May. 24, 2006
    Posts
    2,896

    Default

    Alot of this sires get are known for good temperments. What happens on the track does not always indicate what they do off of it after a period of let down and retraining.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2006
    Location
    Seabeck - the soggy peninsula
    Posts
    3,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    Alot of this sires get are known for good temperments. What happens on the track does not always indicate what they do off of it after a period of let down and retraining.
    That is certainly true. I was not trying to imply anything about the horse nor the sire. Many, many horses come off the track because they were overall not good at the sport for a variety of reasons and very rarely does that translate into what they are good for off of the track. If I saw a horse do this in a race, however, I would not be inclined to take that horse. That is all, just my preference. She was all hooded up though if I remember the picture correctly and that can certainly affect visual acuity.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

    John F Kennedy



  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2006
    Posts
    2,119

    Default

    I guess I have a different take on the quality of the horse's mind. To me it shows quick-mindedness and agility. (and I like that they didn't spook sideways, that is not good) One of my best ever horses jumped a small log that was in the trail that I didn't see. There were several of us galloping along having a grand time. One riders horse didn't react in time and they both took a header. Wasn't a good outcome.

    I do understand your reference now, thanks for the clarification on your sig.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct. 8, 2002
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    9,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    Alot of this sires get are known for good temperments. What happens on the track does not always indicate what they do off of it after a period of let down and retraining.
    Not to mention this particular horse was two in the photo, and it was his first win. He's five now, and no longer jumping shadows (trainer gave us this pic, we need to go back for more photos which should happen in the next week or so).

    And I get how this could be a scary moment, but having ridden imaginary leaps at all gaits, the ones from the gallop are the ones I've had the easiest time staying with.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

    My CANTER blog.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,198

    Default

    It calls to mind two great steeplechasers:

    Jay Trump, who started out as a flat runner at Charles Town. Sometime around 1960 he jumped the rail when his jockey accidentally hit him in his right eye.

    Devon Loch, who was about to win the 1956 Grand National at Aintree when, for no discernible reason, leaped not unlike this. He crash-landed on his belly with all four legs cartoonishly splayed.
    **********
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

    **********
    "Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Aug. 1, 2002
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    Howeve "cute" the marketing pitch, that is a horrifying feeling when a horse is in a full out gallop and it suddenly turns into a jump. That picture frightens me, I do not see it as "cute". They jump puddles sometimes, they will run sideways leaping over a puddle, (I was unseated like that in mid air) and I was not a race rider, I was in a gallop through a woods, thought the mare would gallop through the puddle and she did not. Luckily I landed on my feet both times this happened and did not break my leg, but I did get a mean sprain out of it. Anytime a racehorse jumps in any direction, up or sideways, it could be fatal for many. Just think that these jockeys are crouched over a neck sometimes lifting their body out of the saddle, and just think about what could have happened except that they were athletic enough (both man and horse) to continue on together. I can imagine that jockey did not think that jump cute.
    I've breezed many a racehorese that jumped shadows...heck, I was working one once - we were clocking 12 second 8'ths - came around the turn to find a bunch of geese in the middle of the track. Yes, at the time it was pretty scary leaping over a goose, but we laughed like heck afterwards, lol.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2000
    Location
    Now In the Sandhills, NC mostly
    Posts
    6,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    The realization of a situation to fear and letting fear dominate you are two completely different concepts. If you see the "Gestalt" of the picture (sorry could not help myself), I have a different response than cute. Perhaps I should have said that the horse jumping imaginary objects was of concern rather than it frightened me, but it certainly would have frightened me if I was riding the horse. Later, if I survived, I could have had time to recover from that moment of fear and try to think through how I would really not like to ride a horse over an imaginary jump at approx 30 mphagain. I do not think Marie Curie was saying that there is nothing to fear since she was dealing with the use of her lifelong work of discovery either being used for weapons or for peace.

    I was more commenting on how "not cute" it is in either the marketing pitch or the pitter patter of comments. This is dangerous when it happens in a race, and not exactly a good quality for the horse as a riding/pleasure/showing, etc. animal but it certainly happens that horses do things on the basis of simple survival only. Vision being what it is, it is not always reliable but they are horses after all. Hope that is less confusing.
    Regardless of how the photo makes you feel, it is an interesting shot that not many people have experienced and as such is going to get conversation going.
    A maiden jumping a shadow isn't all that uncommon, it just doesn't exist in many pictures.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Oct. 3, 2002
    Location
    Boogerville, USA
    Posts
    858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    now what's the story behind that photo?!
    Needs bigger shadow roll?


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,571

    Default

    I never realized that they sometimes jumped shadows, either, but it makes sense. And it is super adorable!

    My horse (an OTTB) did jump shadows in the arena a few times when he was first learning to jump. It was always really funny and cute. Overachiever. Now, at the ever so mature age of 7, he refrains from jumping them in favor of the more dignified treating them as trot poles.



  16. #36
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2007
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    5,242

    Default

    My old eventer has been known to jump shadows – and changes in footing – drag tracks criss cross? He is going to jump the “line” they make. Sure, I wasn’t going flat out full speed to the finish line when this happened – but if you see the photos I linked to, there are other racers who have done the same jump the line or shadow thing – and it didn’t result in death or mayhem.

    Riding horses is risky – keep calm and your weight in your heels – and you will probably be okay.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jul. 5, 2007
    Location
    Beside Myself ~ Western NY
    Posts
    6,804

    Default

    You all want some fun? Try a Saddlebred shadow jumping from a park trot. You just pray you weren't posting ^up^ at that moment.



  18. #38
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,571

    Default

    Of all the horsey behaviors to be afraid of, a horse jumping out of a gallop stride when the rider (jockey) is decidedly with the motion seems pretty low on the list.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2010
    Location
    Gum Tree PA
    Posts
    1,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    There is a colt by Dayjur named "Jump The Shadow" lol
    For those who don’t understand Lord Helpus comment; Dayjur jumped a shadow in his Breeders’ Cup race at Belmont which cost him the race and me a lot of money. Right in front of me, can still see it.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,418



  21. #41
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gumtree View Post
    For those who don’t understand Lord Helpus comment; Dayjur jumped a shadow in his Breeders’ Cup race at Belmont which cost him the race and me a lot of money. Right in front of me, can still see it.
    Here 'tis.

    Apparently, this wasn't Dayjur's first shadow-jump, nor was he the only one in this race with such an issue. Mr. Nickerson jumped and flopped on the far turn, sending Chris Antley to the hospital.
    **********
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

    **********
    "Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."



  22. #42
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    19,854

    Default

    Mr Nickerson didn't jump and flop, he dropped dead from a ruptured aorta. I remember literally screaming at the sight of Go For Wand attempting to continue to run on a leg that wasn't there anymore. Not a good day.



Similar Threads

  1. Talk me In, talk me Out: Horsekeeping on Hawaii
    By 2DogsFarm in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: Nov. 20, 2012, 08:25 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct. 9, 2011, 08:08 AM
  3. Talk to Me of Adoption and Pitbulls...
    By MtyMax in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: Jun. 7, 2011, 05:21 PM
  4. Replies: 71
    Last Post: Apr. 3, 2011, 09:32 PM
  5. Coon footed, let's talk more. Picture added post #11
    By mrsbradbury in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Dec. 14, 2010, 07:54 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness