The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Verhan saddles

Does anyone own one or tried one out? I saw them at Chatt the other weekend and was interested in anyone else's opinion since I think they are a new company. They are less than the CWD, but I would be worried about resale value since they are not a well known company. I like the free shoulder idea, never seen a saddle like that before. Thanks!

No, they're not a new company.

Great quality, custom to your horse, great customer service afterwards. (Although it doesn't take much to beat some of the other custom places.)

Resale value is just fine. Lower than some of the other bigger names, but it's not like you're begging someone to take your $4k saddle off your hands for $400.

I rode in a Verhan a few times and loved it. I also had a beautiful Verhan Todd Minikus figure eight bridle that I have since sold. Soft, supple, and beautiful craftsmanship on the stitching. I regret having sold it, but I've been without a genuine need for it for some time.

I have both dressage and jumping, though mine predate the free shoulder feature (3.5 & 4.5 yrs old). Very happy with them. I've had two prior custom saddles, and service on these is lightyears better. Doubtless helps that I'm an hour from their home base. Both saddles have been extensively reworked (tree and flocking) to accommodate major changes as the horse developed--each time I had them back in under a week. CWD lost me when they said saddles have to be sent back to France for adjustment or repair.

I have a Verhan dressage saddle, and I love it! It's hands down the best saddle I've ever owned, and the customer service is second to none. If the saddle fits you and your horse well, I say go for it. And for what it's worth, you probably won't ever want to sell it.
    The knowledge of the nature of a horse is one of the first foundations of the art if riding it, and every horseman must make it his principal study.
    ~Francois Robichon de la Gueriniere

coming over from the dressage forums. I know several folks who had a Verhan and the saddle never fit. Bernardo is very nice, but the saddles never fit. There are lots of used ones for sale.

good quality but you feel very high off your horse in my opinion. Otherwise nice saddles.
    "Capture the horse's confidence to obtain his consent." -General L'Hotte

I have to agree with KatherineC as I too have known some folks with the Hanover model (Dressage) Verhans and had fitting issues. I was one of them. The upper end model seemed to be better. Jump saddles are great. I had a Todd Minikus and had no fitting issues.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

I tried one -- felt amazing in the shop, did not fit my OTTB at all and was horrible to ride in. Lots of dressage people like them, but it was very high off his back and just not made for his type at all.

Saddle threads- always interesting! I am starting to realize....
    a) saddles are fashionable- some people buy them as a fashion statement
    b) saddles vary from horse to horse- even this brand may not be a good fit for everyone
    c) saddles should be all about the horse and rider, not about what is trending
    d) when buying them, look at resell value- like a car or house
    That being said, I like Verhan's...my trainer is a rep. I want to get a used one bc I cannot afford a new one. Resell value is about $2000 for a good condition used one.....they are wool-flocked and so can be adjusted to your horse. The customer service for this company is excellent.