The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cheapest place to buy Micklem Bridle Cob Size?

I have been looking and looking for a deal and am having a heck of a time. We were able to borrow one very short term from a friend to make sure it would be beneficial, and it is; so now we need to find one for a reasonable price.

I got mine (cob, black) from Adams Horse and Pet Supply -- they had the best price I could find.

FWIW, I got the Multibridle rather than the Competition bridle, and I'm glad I did. I now longe my pony off the ring on the noseband and it's made a huge difference. Instead of half-heartedly, constantly charging me, he's learned to maintain a circle, and we can actually work on things like forward and balance.

I assume that means you don't use it for competition?

My pony, special snowflake that he is, is nowhere near ready for competition.

We are working on not worrying about everything all the time. His internal monologue is stuck in capslock mode. In the nine months we've had him, no one has ever seen him lie down. He makes my old gelding accompany him if he has to walk across the field to the water tub. Once, just for fun, I covered his evening meal in big bright green lettuce leaves, and he re-enacted the Blair Witch Project in his stall.

He's as big a chicken in private as he is in public. He's also very, very endearing.

We've made huge strides in the trust department, and now we're making bigger strides in the ring, literally. We have a horse trot rather than an pony trot, a relaxed walk, and sometimes even an unhysterical canter depart. He calls out to me and runs to the gate of the riding ring when he sees me walking out with his tack, so I think he's having fun, too.

Someday, we'll get to a show. I'll worry about the bridle then.

2 members found this post helpful.

Wow that is a great story!

Yep, Adams. They have free shipping, so that helps. They are also starting to show up here and there used for sale. I have a bunch of them and really like them. I end up buying from either Adams or on sale when I find them
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

You're going to have to wait for their popularity to wear off a little bit before you'll find them at much of a discount. That said, sometimes you can find a used one on Ebay.
    Click here before you buy.

I use my multi for competitions -- although they are low level. I don't think the rules distinguish between the two.

It's annoying that the competition bridle doesn't come with the bitless option -- I guess they want you to buy two bridles, but it would be pretty easy for them to just take off the lunging ring. (It's all about money.) I have a multi and a competition (two different horses with different sizes). I'm going to try the bitless options with the competition bridle to see if they work.

I got mine on eBay, one new and one like new (just tried on), for around $100 with shipping, but that's before they were so popular.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

I just got a new competition bridle (large horse size) off eBay for $150. I kept checking every few days, and this one popped up and I snagged it. The seller had it up for more $$, but I made a lower offer and she took it.
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

I just ordered a competition thru Bit of Britain(because of the USEA and USPC discount). The NEW catalog had it for $176 but the website was $189. Sales rep said there were many errors in the catalog and they would not honor the catalog price. Come on, John! LOVE your company but.... That and $19 shipping for an under 2# item. Seriously, I do shipping for a living and it ain't even close to that much.

1 members found this post helpful.

Why did you order it if you have such a big beef with the pricing and shipping?
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheel Whip View Post
    I just ordered a competition thru Bit of Britain(because of the USEA and USPC discount). The NEW catalog had it for $176 but the website was $189. Sales rep said there were many errors in the catalog and they would not honor the catalog price. Come on, John! LOVE your company but.... That and $19 shipping for an under 2# item. Seriously, I do shipping for a living and it ain't even close to that much.
    The competition bridle is $191 at Smartpak--with free shipping!

Saw one on ebay today but can't remember the size. Bidding was around $115 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    I use my multi for competitions -- although they are low level. I don't think the rules distinguish between the two.

It's annoying that the competition bridle doesn't come with the bitless option -- I guess they want you to buy two bridles, but it would be pretty easy for them to just take off the lunging ring. (It's all about money.) I have a multi and a competition (two different horses with different sizes). I'm going to try the bitless options with the competition bridle to see if they work.

I got mine on eBay, one new and one like new (just tried on), for around $100 with shipping, but that's before they were so popular.
    It's actually not about money. It's a patent thing apparently if they can't offer the competition bridle with the bitless option, because Dr cook bridle has a patent on that design. I'm not 100% on that, but it's what I've been told.

Well I've ordered one from Dover ... can't wait for it to get here; it is due on May 10th. I did have a coupon for $10 off so that helped.

I was quite disappointed with Bit of Britain ... I too had their new Spring/Summer catalog where the price was lower than on the site. I called them and they would not sell it for the advertised price. Wouldn't give them my business because of it.

Frankly, I've been disappointed with them quite a bit recently. I used to be a HUGE Tack of the Day fan ... but for the last year or so it seems the TOTD prices are about what I could find if searching for a sale. Just not what it used to be.

BTW, the USEF rulebook shows a picture of the Micklem with the nose ring on the allowed bridles page:

http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2012/13-EV.pdf

See p. 48.

Default Very interesting ...

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    BTW, the USEF rulebook shows a picture of the Micklem with the nose ring on the allowed bridles page:

http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2012/13-EV.pdf

See p. 48.
    That is very interesting! Although it doesn't look very nice.

They had them at the Smart Pak store in Natick, MA in their clearance section. I ended up with a brown cob size for $45! They also had a black large horse size and a brown large horse.

Gosh you don't really want it do you? You'd like to sell it to me instead?

Quote Originally Posted by WeDoItAll View Post
    Gosh you don't really want it do you? You'd like to sell it to me instead?
    Hehehe....haven't even tried it on my boy. Let me see how it fits/ how he likes it. Took me a while to put it together....no instructions!