The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default another cautionary tale: man arrested for feeding sausage roll to police horse

From the Telegraph:

In a rare case, Francis Kelly was charged with causing a breach of the peace in Glasgow earlier this year.

Authorities say the 41-year-old broke the law when he ignored police warnings and gave the pastry to the animal.

But friends of Mr Kelly said tonight that he had done nothing wrong. He gave it a sausage roll because he thought the animal “looked hungry”.
    Ah, Glasgow. Of course. What else would you feed a sentient organism in Glasgow but a sausage roll?

A 'breach of the peace'? In Glasgow, the renowned 'Murder Capital of Europe.' (IIRC, it slipped to #2 this year. Pity.)

I wonder if the horse enjoyed the sausage roll. They can be quite delicious. Same with bacon sandwiches. Both of these wonders can be experienced at most horse trials in the UK; I wish the same was true in the US. But then we might be tempted to feed them to horses, which will turn us into hardened criminals.

1 members found this post helpful.

Good God man! Lock me up!
    My gelding was a great fan of white wine. Thank God no one reported me.

Vet said wine was OK, gelding never showed any interest in sausage (though, come to think of it, I never came close to him with a sausage, so who knows?).

ETA It was my own horse ,not a police horse. Perhaps they are worried about poisoning. Hopefully they will give the guy a break.. He mustn't have been a horse person or he would have known better than to give a treat to a horse that he didn't know.

Judging from the caliber of sausage I've had in the UK, "sausage rolls" are probably disgusting and I too would consider it a grave offense if you tried to feed me one!
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

There might have been extenuating circumstances that we don't know about it, such as drunk/disorderly, previous warnings, he could have been hindering something LE was trying to do (crowd control, a traffic incident) when he insisted on feeding the horse, etc etc. Media, as usual, reports for sh!t and drama, so we really don't know.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Default :)

I double-dog-dare any of you to post this in off course; they throw down over someone at a boarding barn giving another boarder's horse a treat. They'd draw blood over this.

:: Helen Lovejoy muppet flail :: Horses are vegetarians!! Won't someone think of the horses!! :: /Helen Lovejoy muppet flail ::

Although to be Debbie Downer of this group here: although the dept I work for has no horses, people are not allowed to give K9s treats for a number of reasons. I can see how most of those guidelines would apply to a horse.
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Scaramouch View Post
    Judging from the caliber of sausage I've had in the UK, "sausage rolls" are probably disgusting and I too would consider it a grave offense if you tried to feed me one!
    There's a reason why the British tried to colonize so many countries way back when. If they hadn't, they would have starved to death.

I offered my fat little pony some french fries at a show last month. He wasn't interested.

Come to think of it, he looks a lot like a sausage roll. I'm trying to change that, but seeing few signs of progress.