The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fencing dilemma...what are the options?

Our HOA doesn't allow ANY wire fence of any kind on the road front portion of anyone's properties. We have had problems with dogs coming in pastures and chasing/attacking livestock and horses. My horse was injured by one.

On our particular part of the fence in question, we have pipe and cable fencing. Though I'd love to put up a 36" height of some wire mesh, it ain't allowed....until 2029 if the covenants are changed at that point (not sure I'll be here by then, and these current horses surely will not).

What on earth can I put on the bottom of it to at least deter dogs/varmints? Though one neighbore does have a strand of electric wire below their last board, it's still wire, and really shouldn't have been allowed.

Ideas that won't break the bank?

In my grumpiness about it, I thought "hmmm, maybe I should put up plywood panels along there....nuthin written about THAT"...yeah, I know, petty....but the thought did surface briefly...
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Is there an HOA meeting? If so, find out the amendment procedures, and propose no climb on the inside of the wood fences. If not then that really ugly lattice stuff is wood, and that would be acceptable. If you do the latter option, then I bet dark colored no climb will suddenly be voted in. Or that ugly orange construction fencing.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

3 members found this post helpful.

Even if you did hot wire down low, it would be a PITA because weeds/grass would be shorting it out every two weeks between weed whacking. Oh wait. I see you're in N. TX. You don't have to worry about grass, do you.

Anyway...I second JanM--I would try to get an amendment or a waiver. And if not, be sure to let everyone know that moving forward, you'll be shooting dogs.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

JanM, I must've been channeling you last night, because I told the same two options to my DH

The HOA Covenants, in which this law is nested, can't be changed until 2029....grrrrr..Apparently others have tried, brought lawyers in, etc.

I do kinda like the lattice thing. Paint it to match the fence, see what the neighborhood thinks of that.

One of the neighbors does run hot wire low so their LGDs stay in the llama field, but I mentioned in the meeting that THAT is wire fence....not that I was complaining about it; I know why they're doing it.

Just doesn't make good sense to me, on properties that are all large enough to have livestock and small pets to protect...sigh...
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How about a wooden privacy wall, or concrete block or brick some 2' part wall with iron fence above that?

Be sure they approve that first.

In your case, I would ask the HOA to call for an emergency meeting, as your animals are at risk and already being harmed.

We had a meeting last night in which I brought this up for more clarification on my part. Basically told I'm outta luck, that it's been attacked before legally and failed to be changed.

I understand the ideal, that the developer didn't want this to be a trashy looking neighborhood, more upscale (which it's upper mid, I suppose), but to put your foot down with no flexibility just doesn't make sense to me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would take my vet bills to the next HOA meeting and explain the problem and ask for their input on how to keep your animals safe in this neighborhood. Take photos of nice fencing that includes properly installed no-climb inside of nice fence.

Other options include board fencing that is lower and closer together so it is very difficult for the dog to go thru. Electric tape, which will be a maintenance nightmare but it is not wire looking and it will shock the intruder. A solid type fencing like stockade or such.

1 members found this post helpful.

Can you do a lattice fence or a privacy fence and then stick the hot wire on the inside so that nobody can see it? HOA restrictions OR you can plant a privacy hedge? I can't imagine it would be cheap, but maybe it would be he best option?

I'd just go with the strands of electric wire like your neighbor did. Use black or neutral colored plastic insulators, put the insulators on the inside of the fence, and the modification will be nearly invisible. I'd be surprised if anyone would care enough to bring it up, and if they did you wouldn't be out much money.

I think that lattice being used where horses have access to it is going to end up looking very trashy very quickly, it's going to cost you more, and it isn't going to last as a physical barrier long enough to be worth the effort.

Another option would be an ill-tempered donkey.

2 members found this post helpful.

I just thought of lattice as it WOULD end up looking trashy, and that's what the 'no wire' rule was intended to keep from happening....just a point that not ALL was considered in that one blanket 'no wire' rule to their end they were looking for.

I guess I'm just a little peeved

Whatever I end up doing I have about 600 feet to do of it. Don't really want another mouth to feed (LGD or donkey).

Thanks for listening!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 members found this post helpful.

You can get nice no maintenance plastic lattice now. It even comes in colors.

Use polybraid electric rope. It's technically not wire. I agree with the others about putting it on the inside of the fence, it won't be nearly as noticeable.

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, if you want electric, you could use Horseguard. It's not wire and it comes in several different colors.
    Otherwise, I would collect as many free pallets as you can and make a fence out of that! (HaHa, just kidding, but it would make a statement...)
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

3 members found this post helpful.

Well, if you want electric, you could use Horseguard. It's not wire and it comes in several different colors.
    Otherwise, I would collect as many free pallets as you can and make a fence out of that! (HaHa, just kidding, but it would make a statement...)

I'd go with one of the hot tape options and put it down low. There are several different brands of it. Its not wire fencing. Its some kind of plastic mesh. If you ran it inside your fencing and it was a neutral color (they come in black and white generally), what are they really going to do?

Also, I'd start shooting the dogs.

What about doing your real wire mesh fence x-number-of feet inside the HOA-friendly frontage fence? I get that this doubles your fencing costs and shaves some usable area off your acreage, but it's cheaper than suing your HOA or moving to a more reasonable neighborhood, and I can't think how you're gonna keep packs of dogs out without mesh.

It's funny, though, that wire mesh is considered tacky up there. In Austin, 4 x 4 hog panel fencing attached to million-dollar homes is the norm, even in the ritziest of neighborhoods.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

Guessing that when the covenant was written to say no wire they were not thinking a nice neat fence with no climb and boards. They were trying to prevent T-posts with sagging hot wire or barbed wire.

I support the idea of getting a donkey! Ours is FIERCELY defensive of her herd around loose dogs and she hardly eats anything. FWIW, since we got a donkey, the fox don't come around to terrorize our chickens either.

plastic mesh fencing:
    http://www.deerbusters.com/deer-fence-poly-rolls.html

it's not wire, thus following the rules, and it's barely visible so it won't offend anyone.

You probably can't get the obnoxious orange plastic snow fencing in TX but that would keep out dogs and make a point about what, exactly, looks trashy...

But as a serious solution, can you add a very low rail (I have to admit I don't know what pipe & cable fencing looks like, we don't have it up here) that leaves too narrow a gap for a dog to get through? If it were post and board I'd just add one at the bottom like you do for foals so they can't get under it.

If it's all metal can you electrify it?