The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Adequan, Tildren and the ulcer-prone horse

Does anyone know if Adequan and Tildren might have a negative impact on the ulcer-prone horse?

I do a course of Tildren and Adequan every 6 months on my horses. Well, that would be around now.

My mare battled ulcers all summer long, and her last scoping told us she was about 99% fine, but not to push it. So she's having a very relaxed life.

I know Tildren is known for causing colic, does anyone know if any of these meds are in anyway related to the reappearance of ulcers?

I don't know the answer to your question, but my mare just had Tildren yesterday and I was concerned about colic from it. I started her on Ulcergard for a week before and will continue for a few days after, I also told my vet to give her banamine before running the Tildren just as a precaution. She was fine during and so far after ( not quite 24 hours later). I believe the colic issue is just while the Tildren is running in. My thoughts were be proactive that is why I did the Ulcergard.
    If my horse were ulcer prone, I would probably do the Ulcergard or Gastrogard for a little longer after the treatment.
    What has your vet suggested? Mine did not say to do anything beforehand, but when I told him I was going to do the Ulcergard he thought that was a fine idea...I guess no one had ever asked him about doing anything beforehand to make it easier on the horse.

Last time I gave Tildren to her, we also gave 10 cc of Vetalgin (equivalent to banamine), and she still colicked. It was a mild colic, but it was still there.

It might actually be a good idea to give her the ulcergard beforehand. I've been giving it to her every time we have to travel or do anything stressful, and fortunately she's been ok.

Thanks

I'm not questioning you or your vet, but was the Tildren run in slowly? I think that may have something to do with the colic issue. My vet used human IV tubing to insure it went in slowly. Just a thought.

We put her on an IV and ran it for about 2 hours... it couldn't have been slower.