The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    These places are better than where you are at now??? I can't stand mud. Mud , hills and turnout sound like injury waiting to happen. If barn #1 has an indoor or outdoor where you can put your horse out every day for some exercise that should be fine in winter. If your horse is that fat then he shouldn't have hay in front of him all the time anyways. If they stop turnout in the winter/ spring to save damage to the fields you will appreciate the grass when it comes in.
    I would clean my own stall on the days they didn't. I usually re-cleaned it anyways when I boarded.
    I don't mind cleaning my horse's stall (I boarded at a place once where stalls weren't cleaned on Sundays, luckily a day when it was guaranteed I could get out. Saturday would have been an issue during my sports seasons, and weekdays were difficult) but it had better be reflected in the board price that its part self care, which we still haven't been told in the OPs case.

Id still be concerned about lack of turnout during winter with that barn though.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Another vote for #2. I cannot wrap my head around no turnout AND no stall cleaning. The place must REEK of ammonia. So unhealthy! I'd rather have the horse turned out 24/7 in mud than no turnout and filthy stalls.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

count me in the #2 camp! My horses could never deal with no turnout, even if they were let out in the indoor. Not to mention hunting on property where horses are kept...as a hunter, I think that's concerning. And the no cleaning every day, ick, sure I can clean a stall I don't think I'd like a barn where that is not a priority. I also like to determine what/how much my horse is getting. I don't mind a set up where the barn provides hay and I provide the extras but I would not consider boarding somewhere where I was not allowed to feed my horse.

Mud (assuming they are not turned out in a swamp) is not a problem for me or my horses (but I'm in Montana, i'd be in tough shape if they were dainty about mud) and hills are fine (although nice to have some flat space somewhere). Turnout is great, good stall cleaning is great, access to trails etc (for me) is great.

The BO riding/not riding doesn't bother as much, as I know some nonriders who are fabulous people and very supportive, and others who ride who have ideas/methods with which I disagree! but it is VERY nice to have a horsie person handy to keep an eye on the residents in case anything goes wrong.

I guess for those reasons I don't consider your barns "matched" as I would not put my horses (mostly brown) right near where there is hunting. Hunters (back east anyway) have been known to shoot at llamas, mules, etc.

But if for you the issues are basically a wash, and these are the only options, i would think of things like the personalities involved, hours (have never boarded anywhere that had them but I know people who do), other boarders, etc, policies of allowing overnight boarders, guests and so forth.

Good luck, very stressful finding a good spot for the family member!

I wouldn't take either if I were a paying boarder. I'd look for someplace else. BUT if these were your only 2 choices....eek....#1 has a horrible feeding schedule (what's up with that?), dirty stalls and no winter turnout, so no way for me. The mud at #2 is a bummer too....but I'd rather have turnout, clean stalls and a better feeding schedule.

But that's quite a quandary! I'd want a 3rd choice.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Mud is a problem for me. Easy to get a horse hurt in mud, more issues with thrush and other crud in mud.
    I do not like going into mud in the dark and cold to get him either. This is one of the two things I do not like.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    I do not like either option, really, for different reasons. The only reason I don't like barn 2 is that the outdoor sounds completely terrible (I would not ride there!). If having an outdoor isn't important to you, I think I would prefer barn 2.
    I feel like there have GOT to be better options than these two in your area.
    There is a retirement barn that is well done. There is no ring or good trails. The BO works an hour away during the day. It is 30 minutes from my house. The roads were horrible. They may have paved them. There is nothing better that advertises.

The riding is the two of two things I do not like about #2. For half the year no real riding. A bullpen is too small for much work. If it rains no riding on trail.

Quote Originally Posted by nylonalter View Post
    I do not like going into mud in the dark and cold to get him either. This is one of the two things I do not like.
    But walking into a barn full of horses who have no turn out and are standing in dirty stalls is, I think, worse, at least from your horse's point of view. The fumes must be amazing.

I still like #2, from a horses's perspective. Food. Turnout. Clean. Can you ride on that 1000 acre tract of land? One hopes?

There are no fumes. The stalls are matted and drain well. They are cleaned, not every day.

There are no fumes. The stalls are matted and drain well. They are cleaned, not every day.
    I find it hard to believe that a stall that is not cleaned every day that has a horse living in it 24/7 doesn't have any fumes at all. But then again, I am more offended by the "no turnout" than the dirty stalls. No way would I choose barn #1.
    JB-Infinity Farm
    www.infinitehorses.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by spotmenow View Post
    I find it hard to believe that a stall that is not cleaned every day that has a horse living in it 24/7 doesn't have any fumes at all. But then again, I am more offended by the "no turnout" than the dirty stalls. No way would I choose barn #1.
    I'm in this camp as well. I have a VERY well ventilated, brand spanking new barn with ComfortStall systems, fans, full grill doors...the works. And even on a cooler day like today, there is *definitely* an odor when the horses are in all night. And I only have two (in a 6 stall barn)!! My stalls are cleaned twice when they're in during the daytime and then cleaned immediately in the morning if they're in overnight.

A dirty stall without turn-out access would be an absolute deal-breaker for me...but so would all that mud. Have you tried posting a "looking for a barn in XX area!" on here? COTHers in your area might have connections that you don't know about. May be worth a shot!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    I wouldn't take either if I were a paying boarder. I'd look for someplace else. BUT if these were your only 2 choices....eek....#1 has a horrible feeding schedule (what's up with that?), dirty stalls and no winter turnout, so no way for me. The mud at #2 is a bummer too....but I'd rather have turnout, clean stalls and a better feeding schedule.

But that's quite a quandary! I'd want a 3rd choice.
    My sentiments exactly. Do you have a 3rd option even if it means you must travel a greater distance?
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Do you have a 3rd option even if it means you must travel a greater distance?
    I have many options. Most are not as good as #1 or #2. Many turn out very little. There is the barn that was 1/2 empty with huge sheets of cobwebs hanging from the stall roofs. The arena was in the center of the barn. The manure was spread in the arena on snowy days. The board fences were falling down. Board was expensive there also.

The retirement barn is the only #3. See Post #25 about that. I could buy a trailer and ride in an indoor somewhere if I am at Barn #2. I am not sure I would do that much in winter.

You are making me think about my options. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
    I have a VERY well ventilated, brand spanking new barn with ComfortStall systems, fans, full grill doors...the works. And even on a cooler day like today, there is *definitely* an odor when the horses are in all night.
    The large stall windows are open now. Perhaps that is why there is little smell right now. I own a pig. Sometimes in the heat his wet spot smells. I clean his stall and it smells good again. I have the same with my house.

There is nothing better that advertises.
    I have found, at least in my area, that most barns don't advertise. The last three barns I'v boarded at, I've found by driving around and inquiring @ any barn I found, asking at the feed stores, and getting recommendations from my vet and trimmer. In fact, I have never boarded at a barn that found I through an advertisement. So, there might be something better out there--you'll just have to dig deep to find it.

I've never boarded somewhere that I didn't find whilst knocking on doors or via a recommendation.

No good barn I've ever boarded at NEEDED to advertise.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    No good barn I've ever boarded at NEEDED to advertise.
    This is true. Why not ask your vet and/or farrier where they would board?

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    Why not ask your vet and/or farrier where they would board?
    I have thought about this idea. I live in a small town that is not a town. The BO is a BNBO here. The BO has many horses that use the same vet & farrier. If I ask my vet & farrier for a new place they will probably go to the BO and report. That would mean my horse was not turned out.

Who knows good barns near the border of WV, OH, and KY?

I feel your pain with the barn search. Gosh..I hate to say it but both have major problems. But sounds like the first one might be a bit better. Most barns here in Oregon offer little to no turnout in the winter simply because it isn't safe. Too muddy in most places. In my current barn, they get turned out in the arena a bit each day and I actually give mine a large hay net with SMALL HOLES so she has to work hard all afternoon to munch on hay. Keeps her busy. But she's kind of a hard keeper so she can get away with it.

I don't like the hunting aspect or the lack of turnout, but otherwise barn 1 sounds a bit better. I boarded at a place that lost their lease on their pasture and we were left with no turnout..so that is something to consider in the long haul too.

Gosh..like some other poster asked, do you have any other options? Good luck. I'm going through a barn decision right now myself.

Update

Barn #1 is increasing costs. I called Barn #2 to ask if spots were open. Unfortunately BO father is ill so she is not taking boarders at all. I hope that when her father is better and it is spring I can go back.

I think my gelding will be happier turned out. Thank you for answering.

I did find barn #3.

Good points:
    They provide all feed and bedding. The hay that I saw fed looks very nice. It is timothy and orchard grass. If you want grain, it is fresh and high in protein. I know of the custom mix they use. They will turn out and bring in unless the weather is bad. They feed up to three times per day and clean stalls daily. They have MILES of trails.

The barn is new to these owners. One BO is a trainer, the other BO works. Some east coast TWH followers may know the trainer. The pastures are electric tape and will be muddy very soon. The stalls are airy and fairly clean. The aisleway is the only covered place to ride. It is not very long. The BO plans to build an arena. My vet and farrier come to the barn already.

Bad points:
    The barn is on the back side of nowhere. The only bridge is metal mesh. Some trucks can not fit. There is already barn drama. The barn is only 1/2 full at the moment. The outdoor ring is just grass and dirt. It is level.

I know that the BO can not pay for feed, hay and bedding for the price charged. I am worried about the BO doubling the cost once I get there. If I leave Barn #1 where I am I would not be able to go back. Am I borrowing worries?

Do COTH people see anything bad about this barn that I can not see?
    Last edited by nylonalter; Jan. 27, 2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Tour