The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Online Auction bidding

I am interested in anyones experience in online auction bidding (horse) and actual purchase. If you did purchase this way, how did things turn out? It seems scary to me but I have my eye on on a sweet looking gelding with a very good video showing everything I would like to see. Just wondering how stupid a move it would be.

Any success stories ?

I bought one last year off of an online auction. The horse is a good guy but was misrepresented in his ad. I spoke with seller numerous times on the phone prior to the end of auction. Horse was advertised as being 10yrs old. After I got him home and had our dentist look at his teeth, he is more actually around 13-14yrs old. Was told he had jumped 2'6" courses with a flying lead change. For the first two months I had him I had to work him over tiny crossrails and poles because he was so afraid he would get popped in the mouth over the fences. He may have jumped a few 2'6" fences in the past with a trainer and landed the leads, but was def not capable of going to a show and competing at that height. Found out later down the road from someone that knew trainer that the horse had been used in lesson program and had turned sour.
    Needless to say, the horse is very nice and with some retraining has turned out to be a great horse. Not the horse I thought I was buying but I dont regret getting him.
    I highly recommend contacting owner and going to look at horse before bidding.
    Happy Hour-TB
    Cowboy Casanova - Brandenburg
    Isadora - Palomino TB