The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Max Corcoran Leaving KOC

Is Max Corcoran leaving KOC?

I don't know, is she?
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

here's the podcast, for those wondering

http://chrisstafford.podbean.com/201...ran-emma-ford/
    “They were not sitting backwards on their horses,” he said with a sly smile. “But they had no dressage preparation..." - Bert de Nemethy

Quote Originally Posted by vanraf View Post
    here's the podcast, for those wondering

http://chrisstafford.podbean.com/201...ran-emma-ford/
    Such a credit to grooms everywhere. Best of luck to both Emma and Max!

I don't think Max or Emma get enough credit, or recognition, from our industry for the great work both of these ladies have done over the years with some superb horses. I know their employers will really miss them. I listened to the podcast this morning (when I seem to get 2 bars on the 4G) and both sounded so good, happy, looking forward to doing some very interesting business ideas that I hope both are very successful with. These are two really neat ladies and I sure hope they will stay in and around eventing for years to come, because there is a lot we can learn from them!
    Good luck Max and Emma!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    I don't think Max or Emma get enough credit, or recognition, from our industry for the great work both of these ladies have done over the years with some superb horses. I know their employers will really miss them. I listened to the podcast this morning (when I seem to get 2 bars on the 4G) and both sounded so good, happy, looking forward to doing some very interesting business ideas that I hope both are very successful with. These are two really neat ladies and I sure hope they will stay in and around eventing for years to come, because there is a lot we can learn from them!
    Good luck Max and Emma!
    At least among my cohorts, they get a huge amount of credit and respect. I have been party to many a discussion of how incredible they are.

Wow those are going to be some big shoes to fill!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Max is supposed to be the speaker at the Area8 Annual Meeting in January. It should be very interesting.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

At least in the eventing world, the Maxes and Emmas get plenty of well earned credit. Their names are almost as well known as their charges (human and equine). The length of their tenure proves that they are well thought of and loved...that lifestyle is not easy, and is mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausting. 11 years!

How many of us know the names of the grooms of the show jumpers we admire? I can't think of any. Food for thought.

If you want to get an inside glimpse of this lifestyle (both as eventers and in other industries, like show jumping and TB stud grooms), I HIGHLY recommend "In Service to the Horse." It is actually written right at the time Max came on board at OCET.

Best wishes to both ladies. I was sitting near Max at the local pub a couple of months ago and thought I was overhearing a conversation regarding her departure. Nothing nefarious...it was all very lighthearted and sweet. 11 years is a LONG time in the horse world.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    At least in the eventing world, the Maxes and Emmas get plenty of well earned credit. Their names are almost as well known as their charges (human and equine). The length of their tenure proves that they are well thought of and loved...that lifestyle is not easy, and is mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausting. 11 years!

How many of us know the names of the grooms of the show jumpers we admire? I can't think of any. Food for thought.
    If you want to get an inside glimpse of this lifestyle (both as eventers and in other industries, like show jumping and TB stud grooms), I HIGHLY recommend "In Service to the Horse." It is actually written right at the time Max came on board at OCET.

Best wishes to both ladies. I was sitting near Max at the local pub a couple of months ago and thought I was overhearing a conversation regarding her departure. Nothing nefarious...it was all very lighthearted and sweet. 11 years is a LONG time in the horse world.
    I can only think of Sandy who worked for Ian Millar and was Big Ben's groom.

For those of us who cannot get to the podcast, can someone give a synopsis?

http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

The top show jumping grooms get plenty of accolades and press as well.

Tracey Edge - Grooms for Reed Kessler
    Road to the Olympics: Reed Kessler (see: secret weapon)
    At the Back Gait with Tracey Edge

Lee McKeever, McLain Ward's groom, also garnered a ton of praise surrounding Sapphire's retirement. She is very well known.

There are plenty of others but those are just 2 examples.

It drives me crazy when people make sweeping disparaging generalizations about other disciplines without doing some research.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

Oh please. No one is making sweeping, disparaging generalizations. There is nothing disparaging about what I said. I could be wrong, but I don't think your average person who follows UL show jumping would necessarily be able to tell you who grooms their favorite horses. But, most people who follow UL eventing will have heard the names of the grooms of their favorite, will probably recognize them, most will have read their blogs, listened to them at clinics and camps, or have read their names in many articles.

It is a different sport and a different type of horse management. That's not saying SJ grooms don't work their asses off, love their horses, don't get their names in the press etc, etc, etc. But it is a different world. Their names aren't the "household" names that I think a lot of event grooms end up being (Max Corcoran, Emma Ford, MEG KEP? She's practically more famous than her horse and rider! ).

No offense intended to the other hard working grooms, but I don't think it's the same thing.

(And, seriously, read the book I suggested and SEE how different the two worlds are).

Actually I'm not sure the "average" eventer knows those names either. If you asked me, I would know Max worked for the O'Connors but not that it was Karen specifically. I only know that because I read the book and heard her speak at one of the USEA conventions. I didn't know the other 2 until this thread ( at which point I went "oh, yeah, I've heard that name") and I read EN and the Chronicle regularly.

And why wouldn't an avid show jumping fan not know? Or dressage fan? Those DQs know their people and their horses' pedigrees back to eohippus. Which is more than "most" eventers can do, despite Denny's regular haranguing.

MEG KEP? She's practically more famous than her horse and rider! ).
    That is so funny. I only know of Meg because of Sinead. Who would ever have thought that Sinead would have found a groom that could eclipse her. Says a lot for both Rider and Groom! And go Tater (that would be the horse)!
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson

Oh please. No one is making sweeping, disparaging generalizations. There is nothing disparaging about what I said. I could be wrong, but I don't think your average person who follows UL show jumping would necessarily be able to tell you who grooms their favorite horses. But, most people who follow UL eventing will have heard the names of the grooms of their favorite, will probably recognize them, most will have read their blogs, listened to them at clinics and camps, or have read their names in many articles.
    Challenge. Like Hilary, I seriously doubt the "average" eventer either knows or cares what the name of Phillip's or Karen's or Boyd's groom is.
    You may read EN and your favorite eventing blogs and think Meg Kep is a star because of it, but don't assume your experience is everyone else's. I fancy myself somewhat informed about UL eventing, but I would not recognize Meg Kep's name out of the context of a story or blog about Sinead Halpin, and certainly wouldn't recognize her face. Then again, I always recognize Max as familiar-looking but never can remember who she actually is. Thanks to all her team gear, I usually think she's some federation person unless someone else sets me straight. (And, actually, this "Oh, please" post seems both sweeping and disparaging).
    I evented just for the Halibut.