The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by schimmel View Post
    Okay, in the interest of full disclosure, here is a photo of the problem from a few years ago. The look on my face says it all...
    http://s1307.photobucket.com/albums/...onforehand.jpg
    The look on your face is pretty priceless.

My friend's horse was horrible to ride through his flying changes, he kind of threw himself into the new lead. I got unseated every time.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by hey101 View Post
    dudleyc,
    I tried your suggested method today for the L-to-R change (left counter-canter with haunches in, etc) and things went much smoother. The first time it was still scrambly, but the next time, she "got" it much better.

The downside is that her R-to-L change wasn't as good today! But we will keep at it, she is trying hard and I think I need to be more clear and set her up better. We've just starting schooling the "dressage" change- she already has what I would call a "hunter" change when we jump (I event/jump/foxhunt her also), but this is really the first time I've been asking her to stay collected, round, and underneath. She is a bit grumpy about having to use her heiny a lot more

Thanks again for your help!
    I've put changes on 3 dressage horses. The first 2 just always did changes nothing to it, and I would have read this thread about struggling with the changes and feel superior lol. Now after struggling myself with the changes with my mare Gesstenia (by far the most talented horse) I know better.

Carl Hester just gave a clinic for BD and there are a lot of "pearls" floating around - he said it took 3 years to get the changes on Escapado that it was all flying and no change!!!!!

Dressage can be humbling

1 members found this post helpful.

My gelding had some back issues and also did the leap before and during the change. I have found that along with him maturing, getting chiropractic adjustments helps the back issue and also the changes. Just a thought.