The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB Bloodline Question

Knowing nothing about TBs other than what a treat they have always been to ride, I was looking for some insight into a gelding I just purchased. My trainer suggested appealing to the greater knowledge of the COTH forums here.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/yokazona

I recognize the name Secretariat (I don't live compeltely under a rock) but other than that... Thanks to any and all with knowledge and wisdom to share.

Sword Dance was primarily grass breeding. He sired Marlin, one of my favorite turf horses. He completed the unusual feat of winning the Secretariat S at 3 and the Arlington Million at 4 - two of the premier races at Arlington Park. He couldn't compete against the best European turfers, but he was as good a turf runner as can be produced here in the US.

I'm not familiar with Classic Account, but Private Account was a very well-bred horse, Phipps-bred, sire of undefeated Personal Ensign and of champion Inside Information, and of some other somewhat well-known stakes winners/stallions such as Unaccounted For, Private Terms, Personal Flag, and Valley Crossing. We have a Valley Crossing mare who's lovely, would've made a dandy sporthorse.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

1 members found this post helpful.

Forli was an undefeated horse in Argentina before coming to the US, he is the sire of Forego who was a multiple handicap champion in the 70s and multiple times Horse of the year. Damascus is a horse that many people like in sport horse pedigrees. Arts and Letters was a Belmont winner and won the Jockey Club Gold Cup when it was still at 2 miles and was also Horse of the Year. Have fun with your new horse!

Thank you for all that information - Lots of interesting information to mull over, and to do further research on. It's interesting to know more about is lineage and thinking about his race record - Yoko ran steeplechase for several years. Sometimes wildly successful, and others... not so much.

Thank you for the good wishes, we intend to have plenty of fun. He's been great in schooling, and jumps anything, including my trainer's dog that ran out in front of the jump at the last second. Nothing like an OTTB for fearlessness.

The best horse of my life had Nijinsky as her grandsire. She was brave, non- spooking and forward. Very forward. Total blast to ride. Happy riding with your guy!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I remember your guy when he was running over jumps. He held his own in modest company. He won a couple of times and placed a number of times. Which is better then most, but a nice horse to have owned. Didn’t quite have the turn of foot nor jump for hurdles or timber. If you are interested in seeing his complete jump race record click on this link
    http://www.centralentryoffice.com/Reports.aspx
    Click on drop down box for reports and then click past performance, detailed
    Type in his name and click find horse, when it comes up click show report.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gumtree View Post
    I remember your guy when he was running over jumps. He held his own in modest company. He won a couple of times and placed a number of times. Which is better then most, but a nice horse to have owned. Didn’t quite have the turn of foot nor jump for hurdles or timber. If you are interested in seeing his complete jump race record click on this link
    http://www.centralentryoffice.com/Reports.aspx
    Click on drop down box for reports and then click past performance, detailed
    Type in his name and click find horse, when it comes up click show report.
    Thank you for the link! It's very neat to find someone who has actually seen him. Bless his heart, he's still determined to "win" every trail ride or group outing. Needless to say, hunting didn't work out for us. He has delusions of being a fancy show horse, and we're trying him in asoem low jumper classes this weekend. He's been great schooling, when not eating, he lives to jump.

And look at that! No inbreeding in the first five generations!

Quote Originally Posted by arbiter View Post
    And look at that! No inbreeding in the first five generations!
    Is inbreeding common?

Quote Originally Posted by TraceAndM View Post
    Is inbreeding common?
    It's unusual to find a modern TB without at LEAST some sort of 5x5 cross (inbreeding in the fifth generation.) Often to Raise a Native, Native Dancer, Northern Dancer.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    It's unusual to find a modern TB without at LEAST some sort of 5x5 cross (inbreeding in the fifth generation.) Often to Raise a Native, Native Dancer, Northern Dancer.
    Interesting. Does this usually happen along one line more than the other, or are you likely to see it equally in both sire and dam lines? Is this done purposefully, or does it just sort of happen?

Futher, when thinking about breeding a TB today, do you look attempt to look for horses with the least amount of crosses, or is so unusual to find, people don't even bother?

Tell me all your secrets, O Great Ones with Bloodline Knowledge!