The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What ate the big rat?

Everything gone except the tail and a couple little bones. This was newly killed, found in the barn one morning. Doors are closed at night so doubt it could be coyote or fox. Older Barn cat sometimes eats mice and birds but usually leaves more parts behind. He is fed every day but is a hunter.

A whole large rat? Do cats do that? Other possibility is weasel. Saw 2 in the barn over a year ago- one dead. One alive. Did cat also kill weasel? wow..

Ok, then. Aliens .

1 members found this post helpful.

I vote for another rat. They are cannibals if given the chance. I used to work in a lab with rats and mice. If one died in the cage for what ever reason, the others would easily make of snack out ole sparky...

Although a mink or weasel is also a good bet.
    “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

Yuck. I hope weasel.

I've never had any rats here until a couple yrs ago. Rarely see one but see the signs. Can't use poison because of dogs and cat (who will eat them)

Have caught a couple with traps but unfortunately I think poison is the best way to control them and can't do that.

Not sure what to do. I even called exterminator but he just uses poison.