The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Double Bow...anyone successfully rehab and have successful career

Hey All,

So got a steeple chaser off the track that retired with a double bow and has gotten the all clear by vet to go back into work(after 8 months stall rest) with the instructions to keep him under his athleticism (which he said no more than 3'6") I will have to get a lot of courage to go over 3 ft lol(so no worries there). He is doing super under saddle and I think I have my Heart Horse. His leg is always gonna be bigger than his other but that is fine. I guess I am just gonna always be a super paranoid mommy(lol). My question I guess is if anyones horse has suffered the same and has successfully rehabbed and is now again competing and if they have a bigger leg because of it, and if you have any advice. I.E best leg protection when riding, how to keep me from losing my mind everytime he trips lol. Thanks in advance.

Is it both fronts or he bowed twice on the same leg? PM Up at 5 as I facilitated her adoption of a lovely little mare with a bow on each front leg. I think she is doing well.

Haven't had to deal with a bow in a long, long time. If it's old, cold, and low, it should hold up just fine --- ugly, but fine.

I knew an Appy with two front bows who was rehabbed back to Intermediate. Maybe get some back on tracks for night time wrapping.

It was a bow on an old bow i believe. on just left front. It is cold and low and you are so right about being ugly. lol

The first event horse I groomed did bilateral tendons at a three day. He was a BIG horse (very tall)...we attempted to bring him back to eventing, but his big body was hard on his legs galloping for the ULs.

So, we moved him to his next most likely career, show jumping (this horse was a CLASS ACT...world class, really). He did great for awhile, but about a week or two out from his first Grand Prix, he tried to bow again (later on, we learned the trainer we had put him with jumped him just about every day, and big, because the trainer was nervous ).

So, after some time off and rehab, he went to a good friend and big Eq trainer, who put good Eq kids on him. He started competing in the Eq ring in June, and went to all 3 big finals that year with a couple of different kids. He also helped an adult win some big adult medal at one of the big indoors when her horse came up lame on the day. He found his niche, found a new owner, and, as far as I know, is still going strong (he is going to be 17 next year).

While he COULD HAVE been a team horse in eventing or show jumping, his body wasn't going to allow it. So, he found a job "under his athleticism" and has done well. While double bows wouldn't be my first choice, if you take good care (good shoeing, good warm up, good fitness- lots of walking on hard going is awesome for soft tissues!, and cold therapy any time he excerts himself (say jumping or galloping), and you should be good.