The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default First time clip job question...

I'll be clipping my horse for the first time this weekend. It's going to be 50 degrees tomorrow and I have access to an indoor wash stall with hot water and heat lamps so I can give her a nice scrub before. I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to manage the clipping part okay (I'm sure it won't be pro status but hopefully not horribly hacked). I was wondering what people put on horses coats after to help condition them? I've watched a couple videos and tried to find some "home-made" spray recipes but haven't had much luck. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I don't put anything on their coat to condition it.

I don’t find I really need to condition the coat per se, but I DO like to douse the coat in vetroline shine, or show sheen to help the clippers glide through the hair.

Weather permitting, I give the horse a rinse after clipping is complete, to remove the clipper oil residue from the coat. Usually they are pretty shiny after a clip job if their coat is healthy.
    Last edited by Appsolute; Nov. 15, 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    I don’t fine I really need to condition the coat per se, but I DO like to douse the coat in vetroline shine, or show sheen to help the clippers glide through the hair.

Weather permitting, I give the horse a rinse after clipping is complete, to remove the clipper oil residue from the coat. Usually they are pretty shiny after a clip job if their coat is healthy.
    This. Helps prevent the dreaded clipper tracks. Also, make sure you have a few spare blades; dull blades make things harder than they have to be, they pull hair, leave tracks, and are slower because you have to go over areas several times. Have clipper lube and blade coolant on hand as well.

After the clip job do a quick bath to remove the loose hair. Spray with your favorite coat spray if you want after the bath.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Afterwords I give the horse a sponge bath with olive oil. About 1/2 cup olive oil per gallon of water.

I don't do anything except wipe the horse off with a towel to get off stray bits of hair, put his blanket on, & turn him out.

I put nothing on post-clipping but pre-clipping I give the horse a serious bath with lots of scrubbing with shampoo and then after he dires is DOUSE him with showsheen and THEN start clipping. The showsheen makes a HUGE difference.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

double scrub the centerline from the saddle to tail. That flat spot always holds more scruffy crud that you can imagine!

I do a post clip sponge bath with 1/4 cup coconut oil in hot water. Same effect as olive oil but I prefer the smell. It makes them a bit darker by conditioning the skin and leaves a lovely shine.

I clipped for my first time this year and all the above were EXTREMELY helpful tips. Especially the washing along the back, rump and legs very well. Maybe even multiple times, if your horse hasn't had a bath in awhile. And Showsheen will be your friend. Dousing is probably the correct word, you want them to feel like a slip and slide

As for afterwards, on my last one I did a warm water rinse with the Ultra Hot Oil just to get all the extra hair off and condition the skin. Then I regularly use Healthy Hair Care (the pink liquid you add water to) as part of my grooming routine. There was also a thread on here awhile back about mayo baths post clipping. Sounds hilarious, but since mayo is oil based makes sense!

Make sure to have extra blades on hand, and plenty of coolant/lube. Also, wear long sleeves/high collar in a material that is slippery-will be much easier for clean up on your part. Have fun!

1 members found this post helpful.