The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Update on the dog (wasn't eating, had surgery, yada yada)

I didn't dig back for the original thread, but in general, my 9YO lab started going off his food, losing weight, then having loose stools.

He ended up having last year's side by side anastamosis resected and having an end to end put in. Also had a gastronomy.

Post op, was doing well except the original symptoms persisted. Runny explosive diarrhea, anorexic. Put him on metronidazole last Monday. Wed or so, found out that the giardia test that surgeons and I thought had been done wasn't. So we added fendbendazole.

He's been getting hamburger/rice, a little I/D canned, pumpkin and yogurt until yesterday when I started adding some dry I/D and an actual dog probiotic (found it in the kitchen boxes as I was unpacking. YAY!)

As of Sunday night, no more accidents in the house, stools are soft serve, appetite for the yummy stuff is there. Activity level has never waned. But he definitely seems to be feeling better. We're walking about 7-10 miles per day and it seems to be suiting him.

Saw new veterinarian today in VA for staple removal as we're 15 days post op. Incision site looks good. He's gained just under a lb. He's 73.6 now, down from 94. She put him on another 10 days worth of metronidazole as he'd only been scripted 7 days last week. Still some inflammation on rectal exam.

Going to keep doing the food mixture, probios, pumpkin and metronidazole and see how it goes.

I *think* we're on the mend.

Wanted to update you all and thank you for the jingles over the last two (long! expensive!) weeks.

A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

Glad he seems to be on the mend. I totally feel you although my dog didn't have surgery. Sending jingles that he continues to improve so that you can relax
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Glad that things are looking up for him.
    Thanks for the update, had been wondering.

Yay! Glad to hear he's looking better. You deserve a break already, BuddyRoo

Im so happy for you that he is doing well. It sounds like he has been through a lot, and it sure sounds like its been worth it! Here's to many more healthy years ahead!

Yay! Glad to hear a happy update!

Hope the move went smoothly!

P.

Yay! Glad to hear a happy update!

Hope the move went smoothly!

P.