The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How exactly do I use Guidestar to check on a rescue? And a little musing on rescue.

I've gotten one of those viral Fb posts re a rescue ongoing here in KY. They name the rescue, of KY, give the addy for donations for the specific situation, have a plea for funding that says we're a 5013c. No EIN given. The viral posting went from KY to FL to CA, where a friend of mine shared it.

The rescue has a Fb page that seems to have some privacy locks on it, and a very short history. Most of the info is coming from an out of state rescue that's passing it along and I'm purposely leaving both names out , ask me and I'll pm.

I tried plugging it in to Guidestar and *surprise* got nothing.

They have a worthy (but hopeless IMO) endeavor to remove the loose horses on a reclaimed strip mine site. They have a photo of a downed horse and other photos of emaciated horses from previous removals.

I see these horses as the modern precursor to the Mustang - 3 or 4 more generations and there will be populations on each mine site, starving to death in bad winters and being hit by cars, and being repopulated by horse owners desperate enough to turn their horses loose, of course there will be a stallion or two in the mix, supposedly there already are.

So firstly, how exactly do I find a5013c rescue on Guidestar, how much info do I have to have?

And secondly, this is a problem of much greater scope than a neglectful single owner, this is multiple abandonments, breeding and by now a feral population. I'm VERY conflicted about funding rescue of a feral population. There isn't even remotely the argument that these horses descend from a romantic Spanish/Western heritage and are "worthy of saving" for that reason. But at the same time they are starving (not that most people would donate for hay for the deer that are probably starving alongside the horses on the same mine site).

Thoughts?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

If an organization isn't listed on Guidestar, your next bet is to go directly to the IRS and perform a search there for the organization. If you still can't find anything, check whatever state they're based out of (KY?) for what are the requirements for soliciting donations in their state, or what the requirements are for a non-profit organization in their state.

If a requirement is that the organization has to be filed with the AG for solicitation of donation, call that state's office and ask flat out if there is an organization under "this" name that is registered. If they say no, then you can go from there.

As for everything else about to save or not to save, that's subjective.

1 members found this post helpful.

I did find it through the IRS, the status is current, as a dog breed rescue. Thank you very much for the info.

And yes you are quite right that how I spend my charitable dollar is always going to be subjective.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible