The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How often and how long do you...?

clean all your tack.
    as my tack room is not ideal conditions for my tack,and has a tendency to get moldy at times.so i take my tack home and tediously spend 2 hrs cleaning all of it maybe 2 times a month.
    now im bad for that i don't clean my tack every single ride,but when i do feel it needs a cleaning/conditioning. i spend a good chunk of my time making sure its cared for.
    so just curious how often and how long does it take you to get you tack truly clean.

Now that my horses are home, I'm trying to clean my in-use tack once a week. I'll give some things a quick wipe down as needed each ride, and make sure to clean my thinline girth off each time. But it is all that stuff that isn't in use that I have a hard time catching up on. So now that we're in the rainiest time and I can't ride, I'm trying to do some of that catch up cleaning.

I will admit, too, that I'm looking at some synthetic stuff like tekna for daily use, just because I ant keep up. Things get wet here and even with my heated tack room, they will mold. So it would e kind of nice to have stuff I can just orse and hang!

Girth / bridle / breast plate get a daily wipe down. Everything comes home for a take apart thorough cleaning once or twice a month.

Every time I use it, it gets wiped down and conditioned. I used to just do a wipe down but I recently found a coach more anal than I am and since I'm riding in her tack, it's done her way! Not that I mind, I love clean tack, total pet peeve!

Im so bad at tack cleaning - my trainer cleans hers after every single ride and I believe this is what one is "supposed" to do. Me um I clean it v rarely like once every six months in winter.... arg Actually I am pretty disgusting really if my saddle feels slick I often put a layer of conditioner over the top and still don't properly clean the tack....when I am showing I am forced to clean my tack before every show so in summer i guess I clean my show tack pretty regularly but my daily tack yes I admit it, is gross. I do inspect it regularly to check its all in working order and I wipe it down and condition about once a week but full clean with proper soap and hot water not as often as I should....

Bridle and martingale gets cleaned every ride, every time (Probably 5-7 mins). If I fell off and BROKE MY LEG I'd at least rinse the bit (sacrilege not to?!) Saddles and show girths (schooling girths aren't leather) go home once a month for a deep cleaning and bridles go slightly less often. I don't do serious deep cleaning at the barn because I like to spread pieces out on towels and it's nice to do in front of the TV. That deep cleaning can take 30-45 mins depending on how many pieces. A good thorough saddle cleaning can take 20 mins for that alone.)
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

I try to wipe down at least rinse/wipe off the bit after every ride, but I bring everything home to clean about once a month or so. It takes several hours for me to get everything cleaned and put back together, and honestly cleaning tack is not a fun horse chore for me. I do love clean tack, so if I could I would clean everything once a week. Time, though, is what gets in the way.

Every time we ride. It is one of the barn rules that if you are using my tack then you clean it after every lesson. I have tack older then I am that was my father's and is still in fantastic shape due to this.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am TERRIBLE about cleaning tack...I won't say how not-so-often because I don't have my flame suit on...

I try to give EVERYTHING a thorough cleaning in the fall and then put the leather stuff int he house for winter so it not out in the cold.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I wipe down/condition after every ride, which is usually 1-3 times a week. Take it all home every other month or so to take apart and do a deep cleaning in front of the TV. I actually LIKE cleaning tack. I find it very cathartic

I wish I was as diligent about cleaning my house
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Once a year. I'm really bad. I can't get one bridle apart because the dirt has turned into cement around the metal pieces.

I bought a new cheapo bridle. I can't be trusted with nice tack.

Wiped down after each use. This is synthetic harness. Leather stuff that gets sweaty or dirty, like Western reins, headstall, stirrup fender insides, gets wiped after use too. Rinse bits after use. I was trained this way, now it is habit at home.

All my leather stuff gets deep cleaned and conditioned every couple months, if used often. Leather here is extremely soft and flexible, the way I like it to feel. I have my own system of what I use for cleaning and conditoning, not a traditional method. Still have elderly tack that is totally safe to use, you would never guess how old it is, so the system works for us. I never use saddle soap, leaves my tack sticky, doesn't get it truly clean.

I have WAY too much tack to be cleaning it if it isn't being used. It takes me 8 HOURS to clean and conditon a 4-horse harness. Then I still have to reassemble it!!

Leather tack is stored clean, with a dehumidifier running in the tack room. Using the dehumidifier all the time, prevents that mold getting started on leather. Saves me an enormous amount of upkeep on our leather tack.

Mold is much better on leather than the opposite, dried hard leather. Mold can't exist if there isn't something to eat in the moist, flexible leather. I think of leather as being like your skin, needing softening conditioners to keep it in good shape in all situations or weathers. My leather stuff will shed water in rainstorms, conditioner has filled all those cells in the leather to plump them up for smoothness. I never let the leather get frozen in storage, that will damage the cells in the leather by turning moisture to ice and bursting them. Tack room is heated to just about 45F. Doesn't need to be WARM, just kept above freezing temps to protect the leather.

Have to say that leather cleaning and condtioning is Ok to do during a long TV video. Just that with the quantity we have, it isn't "fun" any more. Plus our harnesses and horses get inspected at competitons, so you have to do an EXCELLENT job of cleaning and polishing while you are at it. Used to be they DID use white gloves, checked inside of straps, inside of buckles, along with grooming of horse. Not usually that strict now, but some Judges are still very picky.

Wiping down is just what needs doing, so it is clean to use for your next outing. Only takes "a couple minutes more". Ha Ha

Those of you who bring your saddle home to clean--what do you put it on if you don't have a saddle stand? It's so awkward for me; sometimes I'll put two chairs back to back, put a thick blanket on top, and put the saddle on that. It's just easier to do a quick once-over while I'm untacking. My horse is small and I can reach all of the saddle pretty easily.

I love my synthetic sidepull bridle. No icky bit to rinse off and I can just dunk the whole thing in a bucket when it's dirty.

BTW, I had started a thread on why my leathers were tearing up my saddle flaps. I've solved the problem by getting a pair of brown kneesocks, folding them in half and sewing them, and slipping them on the leathers. You can't even tell they're there and no more scratches on my flaps!

Bridles, bits, girths -- after every ride. Saddles 2 x month.

Quote Originally Posted by pony baloney View Post
    Those of you who bring your saddle home to clean--what do you put it on if you don't have a saddle stand? It's so awkward for me; sometimes I'll put two chairs back to back, put a thick blanket on top, and put the saddle on that. It's just easier to do a quick once-over while I'm untacking. My horse is small and I can reach all of the saddle pretty easily.

I love my synthetic sidepull bridle. No icky bit to rinse off and I can just dunk the whole thing in a bucket when it's dirty.

BTW, I had started a thread on why my leathers were tearing up my saddle flaps. I've solved the problem by getting a pair of brown kneesocks, folding them in half and sewing them, and slipping them on the leathers. You can't even tell they're there and no more scratches on my flaps!

I have a saddle stand. But I sit on the floor and cradle it in my lap during the cleaning. I find it MUCH easier to do it this way and I can turn it all around and really get into/see into all the crevices. It only goes on the saddle stand once I am done.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Um I put it on the sofa and clean it there when my husbands out and does not know what I am up to. I also put my bits through the dishwasher which he also does not know about and would certainly freak out about (not with human plates at same time, on their own but I know he would not like it), yes Im a bit gross maybe....