The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Softening leather

I just bought a brand new Stubben dressage bridle - how do I get it to soften up? It isn't bad but I would like it a little better. Thanks

Neatsfoot oil worked for me... I know there is hearsay that it rots the stitches, but I found that to be false.

I take my new bridles apart, dredge the parts in warm neatsfoot oil and put them in a ziplock bag overnight. In the morning I take them out, wipe them with a soft cloth to remove as much of the oil as possible and put the bridle back together... Super soft and supple.

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    Neatsfoot oil worked for me... I know there is hearsay that it rots the stitches, but I found that to be false.

I take my new bridles apart, dredge the parts in warm neatsfoot oil and put them in a ziplock bag overnight. In the morning I take them out, wipe them with a soft cloth to remove as much of the oil as possible and put the bridle back together... Super soft and supple.
    Well, this is and isn't true. Pure Neatsfoot oil is okay and won't rot your stitching. The Neatsfoot oil compound will.

For my Stubben saddles, I use their Hammanol conditioner on it. It does a really nice job. I also waterproof them a few times a year with Fiebig's mink oil. Between the two, I really don't have to condition my stuff all that often. I wipe it down with a barely damp rag after sweaty/muddy/whatever rides (I foxhunt/trail ride/etc.) and condition with Hammanol or mink oil once every 3-4 months.

On my bridles (not Stubben, HDR, random used and cheap Premier), I use Australian Leather Keep to waterproof and condition them. I do it about once every 3-4 months.

I used to be a fan of Neatsfoot oil, but I've found it makes my tack sticky and gunk attracts to it in the long run.

With those products I've found I barely have to do more than wipe things down when they get sweaty or dirty. I really am not great on keeping up with taking care of my tack. However, all of my saddles are 10-20+ years old and they all are still supple and look nice enough to show in. My bridles are considerably newer, but they all seem to do just fine with that regimen.