The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default beet pulp nutrition advice, please

OK, for the sake of generality, let's say the horse in question is 1,000 lbs and the beet pulp is the standard shredded kind. How much beet pulp per meal (in addition to their regular grain and fed 2X a day) would be considered just an added fiber and how much would be considered to help keep weight on? Can someone break it down to how much of each (fiber versus weight gain) if the horse is a very easy keeper, an average, and a hard keeper? TIA!
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

The only thing I can answer for is what works for my horses. I have two seniors. My 29 year old toothless mare gets fed 3 times a day. In addition to soaked afalfa cubes and her pellets she gets 2.5 to 3 pounds (dry weight) of soaked beet pulp pellets spread across the 3 feedings. I feed her this way to keep weight on her. OTOH My 26 year old gelding gets 1 pound of soaked beet pulp pellets in addition to soaked alfalfa cubes and regular pellets in the evening for added fiber. They both look fantastic.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

That's really too variable a question.

At about 1000 cal/lb, give or take, it's comparable to alfalfa.

If a horse is eating enough hay, the fiber content of beep is really not an issue. But, it does act as a long-stem fiber, like hay/grass, so it can be used in place of normal forage to an extent. The general rule is no more than 40% of the forage requirement in beep, either replacing or in addition to hay/grass. For a 1000lb horse who should get 20lb of forage, that's 8lb of beep.

As a carrier agent, think a cup or three as typical - enough to carry a v/m supplement, joint supplement, that sort of thing.

If you want to put weight on, you're talking about probably starting at 1lb or so. Once you soak that, that's a lot of volume, so that's probably the biggest downfall of using bp in significant amounts.

How much you actually need is highly variable based on the quality of hay, amount and type of grain a horse will eat, etc.

Easy keeper? You're looking at just a cup or 3 just to mix supplements.

Hard keeper is probably looking at a few pounds in addition to the regular feed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, JB. I know there's a lot of variables, but your info gives me a basic idea and where to start from. I've always just made up a small certain amount and dished it out equally between horses during the winter to add some fiber. But right now they're in a drylot 24/7 because I heavily reseeded/limed/fertilized the pastures so was wanting to make up even more of their fiber intake in addition to the hay they get. Thanks again!
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

If they're getting at least 1.5% of their body weight in hay, then there's no reason to worry about adding additional fiber. It doesn't hurt, but it's not a necessity.