The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question How soon to see decrease in canine itchiness after diet change?

Something has Jessie Beagle itching up a storm, on both her ears and her chest, in the last two months.

Nothing in life has changed, so I suspect it might be a food allergy. The food she's been eating had corn & chicken.

So, I bought a lamb & rice for her to start on. I even bought treats with lamb/rice (& no c/c) , as we go through lots of cookies at our house.

If the corn/chicken was the culprit, how quickly would she stop all of the itching?
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Oh gosh....that's hard to say. 7 days to 6 weeks for some is what they've told me. Has she been on any meds for this?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Thanks, BuddyRoo!

I tried Benadryl for about a week & didn't see that she decreased the itching. Other than that, no meds.

Ok, so if I don't see any change in a week on the diet, I won't give up hope & will ride it out. I just wasn't sure what to expect. (she just started the food yesterday morning)

I need to get them both in to the vet in the next few days for vax, so will talk with her also.

Just so you know, lamb is becoming a more common food protein, so it could still be an allergy to that. Protein allergies are more common than allergies to grains.

You might consider a fish and potato food, or something without chicken, beef lamb or grains.

But it can take a month or so to see a change.

Are there any sores as a result of the itchiness and scratching? If so, may require abx to resolve secondary infection. As for food allergies, in my experience, it's usually taken a few weeks(2-3) but they tell me now (with a non standard allergy scenario) that I need to be willing to go it for 6 weeks. My dog is now on Z/D so we shall see.

Wishing you luck!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I went through this with my border collie when we first got him. We tried everything for a year and finally decided to do allergy testing. He is allergic to 21 different envirormental allergens and probably as many foods. We ended up giving him a special serum made by a lab for the environmental allergens.....he got montly shots. After three years or so he doesn't need them anymore. The initial allergy test was $300 but we spent more than that in shampoos, medications and food over the year. We would have been way ahead in the long run if we had done the testing first. My suggestion if you can swing it is to have your vet do a simple allergy test.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

My Corgi mix has had a terrible time with allergies. He was on lamb and rice, then we tried grain free, and now the only food that he doesn't itch on is the Prescription allergen free. The first time I bought it, the clerk at our vet's office let me know that it was the most expensive food that they carried. Of course my kid would need the most expensive food!
    It took about a month for him to stop itching and licking. I have to watch his treat intake as well - if they get a special treat like a busy bone, he can only have a small portion of it at a time.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

I would try a limited ingredient dog food. Fish and potato,venison and potato...lots of options.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I don't think there was any lamb in the original food, so that's why I went with this one for now. I will keep in mind that it's becoming a more common allergan

BuddyRoo, she doesn't have any open sores, which is a blessing. Just the itchies and sometimes hot, red ear insides.

A zillion years ago I had a cat who was allergic to everything. And I do mean everything: most mid-western plants, dogs, horses, cats and so on. We did the testing & serum for her. I did her shots for a few years, but honestly, after we moved here (from Michigan), I stopped them & she got better.

It may not be that easy at all. A histamine reaction can be a bit of a vicious cycle where in the sensitivity causes more hypersensitivity. This is why you sometimes have to intervene with a round of steroids to break the cycle before you see improvement.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I have seen some dogs feel better as soon as two days after a diet change, but it may take up to six weeks

I can tell you controlling a dog's diet can be a little tricky. For example, I have a gluten sensitive (itches terribly) Chihuahua that is on a strict gluten free diet. However, there is a cat that poops in the yard, and this is a little dog delicacy. The cat poop is NOT gluten free, and every time the dog gets into it he will itch for 3-5 days. So even when you change their "food" they can still eat things that do not agree with them. Perhaps this is just my life experience Best wishes to your pup!!
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

Our female Lab has food allergies, at first we thought to beef and then realized chicken was also a trigger.

We ended up feeding Taste of the Wild Pacific with salmon - it was one of the only foods available that had zero chicken in it. So many of the others, including the lamb and rice formulas had chicken broth in them so you really have to read the labels carefully.

We went the Benedryl route too for a while but since she was so large it was 2 pills, 3x a day - easier to eliminate the irritation.

Just got back from the vet. Everyone's now current on vaccinations & Jessie is starting a round of prednisone.

Vet says it probably isn't food allergies, but an inhalant. She says there's a ton of the junk in the air right now & that's probably the issue.

I'd also want to make sure to rule out fox mites. Our Wheaton who we already knew had tons of allergies, started to constantly scratch and lick and really irritate her skin. We thought it was another allergy, so we basically did a food detox, didn't work. Her symptoms were easily mistaken with her allergy symptoms. Turns out she picked up fox mites some how, and the problem was easily cleared up once we knew what exactly we were dealing with. Just another thing to think about if allergies are ruled out.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping