The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    Muscles are warmed up by walking, that is also what (about 10-15min) makes the synovial fluid more viscous. Then suppling exercises in walk (from circles (which is a kind of lateral flexibility) to serpentines/etc). Do you go straight (pardon the pun) from walking on a straight line to trotting/cantering w/o any figures in walk?
    No, muscles are not warmed up by walking. Joints are lubed by walking. Not the same thing. I follow the conditioning and warmup advice from Dr. Hilary Clayton. Walking in large 30 meter circles and serpentines and changes of directions, yes, but only on very long rein.

Quote from Dr. Clayton. If you don't value her expertise, then pay no attention. I do value her expertise. (My Bolding) In her other writings, she clearly states walking on a long rein.

" There are 2 aspects for warm up, one is concerned with physiological preparation of the horse and the other is concerned with the training aspects for physiological prep. You need to increase the horse's body temperature by one to two degrees. This occurs with active forward movement. When the muscles are warm they contract more strongly and the ligaments and tendons become more pliable and less suseptable to injury. So, it's not until the horse is physically warm that we should start suppling exercises or stretching exercises. So, the horse should come out, walk for several minutes, then move actively forward at trot or canter, for 5-10 minutes this will raise the temperature. Then include suppling exercise circles, lateral work and transitions and beyond that, the warm up becomes more specific to the individual horse and level of competition."
    Last edited by ToN Farm; Nov. 15, 2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Why would working (any muscle) not increase the body temperature? That is one of the reasons for time in walk. And if there is no stretching allowed, then what about free walk on a loose rein? And further why would abducting/adducting during the warm up phase (in a gait with no suspension) not be a good idea (since it is for people as well)?

As a person who is walking a lot, and with friends who do also, we do get warm doing it. I guess we have to ask what is 'several minutes' (?). Perhaps a longer time in walk serves the same purpose, just not as fast.

(guess the horse would have to be ridden outside to get an arena big enough).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Why don't you ask Hilary Clayton, Ideayoda. Maybe she will enjoy debating with you. I don't. I perfectly understand what she meant and why. You and yours are free to do what you feel is right.

1 members found this post helpful.

Nevertheless, then the follow up question about warming up then is when to put the horse to the hand/ask it to accept the bit. Free walk, and loose rein in the other gaits? Pick the horse up on a straight line? Then go?

I am interested in reasoning behind the recommendations
    I.D.E.A. yoda