The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thinline dressage girth - opinions?

I'm thinking about asking for one (http://www.smartpakequine.com/thinli...x?cm_vc=Search) for X-mas, but I've seen very mixed opinions on it. Just wonder if anyone use(d) it and what are pros/cons. Thank you!

Have not purchased this particular girth but I would be wary since it does not say Stainless Steel buckles in product description.

I purchased a girth at SmartPac (not this brand but one I had used in the past with other vendors with good results) started rusting within a week. I had assumed it had SS buckles since the same manufacturer (sold by another store) did have SS buckles. That assumption was incorrect, so buyer beware if it doesn't say SS buckles in product description.
    Sandy in Fla.

I have one and its nice, soft and cushy but so is the wintec contour girth I also own which cost way less... my horse likes both. Ive had not probs with rusting of buckles and I dont clean it often lol

Ps one thing though its sized Europeanly so you need to check you get the right size its not sized the same way as you are used to in the US

Thank you! I remember someone mentioned it runs bigger than some other girths. As for Thinline I have their pad and love it, but I equally hated the reins when I tried (so I returned them). So was wondering if their girth is something good to go with.

Any other recommendations for the girths? I have Pro-Choice right now, but it seems to be wearing off (the bottom part started to split).

They may have improved, but I purchased one about three years ago that rubbed my guy like crazy. I love the pads, but the girth did not work for me.

To be fair, my horse is very sensitive, so it may work for you, even if they haven't updated it over the last few years.

I bought mine earlier this year and I really like it. It's cushy and easy to clean, and it has stretch through the center, not just on the ends. It IS sized a little differently - my horse usually takes a 30, but the 28 fit perfectly.

This girth has the equalizer elastic and is cheaper than the Thinline...Jeffries makes nice stuff, too. http://www.pelham-saddlery.com/dress...t/symbian.html

I use a Thinline pad and the reins, which I love. I almost bought the girth, but ended up needing an anatomic girth.

You might try the Piaffe or Passage girth sold by Bit of Britain. They are cheaper, and tend to get really good reviews.

Thank you, folks! Truly appreciate all responses!

This may be an Arizona occurrence, but my friend and I both had these girths and within a year the material lost its pliability and became hard, eventually cracking along the seams. It's a nice girth, but just didn't last in a dry climate.