The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Clean/Soften Rubber Lined Leather Reins

I just got my first pair of rubber lined leather reins and I'm not sure how to go about cleaning and suppling them. I usually oil my new reins and work them between my fingers for a few hours. I put a little Lederphledge on the leather parts but it's getting on the rubber. I saw a post on here to not get leather conditioner on the rubber or it can deteriorate it. So how do I clean and condition them? Can I slather them like usual and then just take water and Dawn to the rubber to clean it off? Ideas? Thanks!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

I personally wouldn't put oil on them. Oil deteriorates stitching and could accelerate the rubber separating from the leather - which does eventually happen. But I don't oil any of my tack, personal preference.

I do love rubber lined leather reins - enjoy yours

Do you just use cleaner on them or nothing at all? I'm a soft tack super snob and HATE handling stiff leather so I always oil the bejesus out of mine! LOL The reins are lovely though but they feel like I'm holding two hard poles! How did you break yours in? Just use them as is and they'll soften eventually?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Lots of people will probably say "NO!!! Don't do that!", but this is what has worked for me for softening stiff leather, whether it's reins or a baseball glove.

Dunk it in water for a few minutes and then use a high quality conditioner. Dunking it in water opens the leather up and allows the conditioner to get worked into the leather.

This is not something I would do on a regular basis, but something I've done once every year or so, depending on the tack.

Think of riding in the rain....Your leather gets wet, you clean and condition, it feels lovely...If you don't clean and condition after it's wet, it feels stiffer.

I wouldn't use the tack until it has dried well, as it might stretch.

My 2 cents.

I hate stiff leather, reins especially. I always feel like there is a delay in the communication.